It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 02:04

What watch will you be wearing on Friday???

Present your latest purchases, talk about pro + cons or write an interesting review!
  • Author

Fitron

Wizard

Wizard

: What watch will you be wearing on Friday???

Post03 May 2008, 16:23

It's been a while since I posted a photo, so here's todays...

URL=http://img391.imageshack.us/my.php?image=imgp1348py4.jpg]Image[/URL]

Still the king of all the leds if you ask me. Slaps the square P1 in the face with it's beautiful curves and that single, funtional button is the icing on the cake. Take that Synchronar!

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

Post04 Jul 2008, 01:28

It's been a while since I posted a photo. These past few weeks I've gone.... dare I admit it??..... Analogue!!!

Well - sort of ;-)

Happy 4th of July to all the Yanks out there!

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

Post26 Sep 2008, 19:00

And for Friday, August 26.....

A "standard" Seiko from 1980;

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post14 Oct 2008, 02:18

3 years and three watches as parts donors finally put this monster of an Elgin together again. At one point I had thought about carving up some poor band on the grinder to make one that fit. :lol: Optel module,groovy diamond colons. 8-)
[img]http:www.dwf.nu/images/monster_Elgin.jpg[/img]
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post14 Oct 2008, 02:18

3 years and three watches as parts donors finally put this monster of an Elgin together again. At one point I had thought about carving up some poor band on the grinder to make one that fit. :lol: Optel module,groovy diamond colons. 8-)
ImageImage
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Led-Time

Guru

Guru

Post14 Oct 2008, 19:06

Thats really nice...8-)

How do you rate Elgin watches ED as I've got this beat up Elgin LED with an unusual looking display never seen one like it pity the case is a mess.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post14 Oct 2008, 21:53

Thanks. I was pretty geeked to get it together...I'd like to sell it but what to ask for it, having never seen another. :-? I suppose somewhere around a really nice non-DSM Optel LCD plus some amount for the rarity.

Elgin LEDs - the thin ones with buttons at 2/4 are a bit fragile, due to the thin, stiff circuit board. Slightest pressure(wrong batteries!) and they 're a goner. The ones with a 29mm, 1/3 module are fine. IMO

Diginut

Techie

Techie

Post14 Oct 2008, 23:31

That is one chunky Elgin. Cant say I've ever seen one either. Can you tell us how heavy is it ?

This watch is pretty damm large n heavy :-

Fitron

Wizard

Wizard

Post15 Oct 2008, 13:56

This watch is pretty damm large n heavy :-

It's a Breitling - that goes without saying....

I'm hardly wearing a watch at the moment - my spare time is spent chemically stripping paint from my bannister - 9 years and counting on this job and an ultimatum to have it done by Christmas or else it gets painted. Bloody women don't understand that some things take time to do properly.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Re: : What watch will you be wearing on Friday???

Post15 Oct 2008, 15:31

Fitron wrote:....9 years and counting on this job and an ultimatum to have it done by Christmas or else it gets painted. Bloody women don't understand that some things take time to do properly.

Yeah, I hate it when they ask,"are you about done yet?!" :lol: Tell her it's foreplay for the real event. A bannister is a lot of work to strip - my condolensces. :-)

The weight of that Elgin LCD is 105 grams - really not bad considering it's size. Band is 18mm wide at clasp,27mm at case, all solid links but fairly thin and sleek with side screw construction. The Omega Constellation weighed more - 119 grams :!: . An interesting seconds counter: left side of display shows only the last/right digit of the minutes and the seconds.
E.g. if 9:42 it would show 2 : seconds. :-?

Diginut - a hig price(but very nice) wrist weight. :lol:

Diginut

Techie

Techie

Post15 Oct 2008, 18:08

Personally I like a heavy watch, even though some watchmakers bang on about how light and thin their designs are.

To date the heaviest watches I own are the sold gold variety, eg Pulsar 18k calculator at about 165g, or a P1's at about 150g. I used to think my old Hamilton LED was a heavyweight for being an SS watch at 114g, but below I show pics of a more modern digital in solid stainless steel which virtually broke my scales at a whopping 236g !

This thing is more like wearing a ball and chain.

.. although as an aside, I am curious as to why anyone would need coke scales that go past 10g 8-)

so, can anyone top this - or do we have a record breaker ?

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Re: : What watch will you be wearing on Friday???

Post15 Oct 2008, 20:12

Diginut wrote: but below I show pics of a more modern digital in solid stainless steel which virtually broke my scales at a whopping 236g
so, can anyone top this - or do we have a record breaker ?

Maybe it's because yours is brushed and mine is polished, but my o.d.m MDD99-1 "Mr. Metallic" weighs 238g (no links removed), see here: http://dwf.nu/viewtopic.php?p=13574#13574 ;-)

The Ventura d-sparc pc steel weighs about 160g, like the Junghans Mega 1000.
Previous

Return to Reviews and latest Acquisitions