It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 11:02

What watch will you be wearing on Friday???

Present your latest purchases, talk about pro + cons or write an interesting review!
  • Author

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

: What watch will you be wearing on Friday???

Post14 Sep 2007, 18:44

TGIF! This Friday (9/14) I'm back to the 'La Generale' LED.

Fitron

Wizard

Wizard

Post14 Sep 2007, 20:38

Mike for me. It's really comfy and the only flip back I intend to keep.

Nice La Generale there, I like the bracelet on it too.

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post14 Sep 2007, 20:54

o.d.m. uncompromising TA07-1
If you switch off the LCD, it's purely analog. LCD functions are date, time, stopwatch, off.
ImageImage
Funny, looks like it's only us three wearing a watch on Fridays ;-).

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

Post14 Sep 2007, 21:02

Thanks Fitron, our two watches look like they could be cousins. :-)
I always wanted to buy a Mike, but it has to have the name on the front.
People will think I got it personalized but I'll tell them "no, it's my own company." 8-)

And Rewolf - you seem to have an inexhaustable supply of modern LCD's!
Maybe you're right- maybe we are the only Friday-wearers out there? Or maybe the only Friday-wearers with a digital camera handy?

Fitron

Wizard

Wizard

Post15 Sep 2007, 00:33

Mine does, etched into the glass but I have no idea if it was origonally filled in. I suspect not, it's in too good condition overall to have been worn off - I think :-? . I keep meaning to send pics to Ed for the watch gallery.

On that topic - mine are from my flashdrive which has photos of all my watches and wifes decent jewellry in case I need them for insurance purposes - hopefully never! I keep meaning to get round to doing some arty ones but time....check out some of the pictures on watchuseek that get posted - put ours to shame. C'MON YOU LAZY LUBBERS GET SNAPPING! I've only got a dozen or so and you'll get bored seeing mine over and over again.....

PS keep your ebay winning page printouts for insurance company as well. "let me see sir, you're claiming a 35 year old pulsar digital watch is worth $450.........WE don't think so unless you can prove otherwise Sir"

But for God's sake don't let the wife find these...

Led-Time

Guru

Guru

Post15 Sep 2007, 12:37

LEDluvr,

Nice watch that La Generale (duel time zone..???), any chance you could post a picture of the back because I've got a gold Benrus which is exactly the same as your watch.

What do you think of the La Generale brand good or average quality.

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

Post18 Sep 2007, 19:15

Hi Klippie, I'll take a pic of the back and post it tomorrow.
Yes, it's dual time zone - the bottom left button is the 'second time zone' if you will, the top left button is the usual time, date (not DOW) and seconds.

Regarding the quality - I haven't had a problem with it. It seems to be very sturdy - both the case/band and the module. Then again I don't wear it all that often because I don't want my other watches to feel neglected. ;-)

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post21 Sep 2007, 14:16

Friday, September 21st
Another example of my "inexhaustable supply of modern LCDs" ;-) (inexhaustable actually means about 30):
ImageImageImage
(sorry for the blurry photos - the camery just wouldn't focus properly on this mirror-like watch)

Fossil Starck PH1077 with a very nice mirrored curved LCD
It has a real dot matrix display that can be switched to pseudo-analog mode, but: guess what time it is on the right photo? 2:55 perhaps? Wrong - it's 3:55! The hour hand only moves in full hour steps - rendering the whole analog display quite useless :-(

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

Post21 Sep 2007, 19:57

As always, a very cool modern LCD Rewolf. (Oh, only 30... that's all... ;-) )

Too bad about the analoge dipslay. It seems like an obvious thing to have the hour hand advance, even if it's only a few steps. Maybe someone from Fossil is working on their design team? :lol:

Now it's my turn to break out the modern LCD... Diesel DZ 70223.
(Sorry... I still need to work on my fuzzy pics..... :oops: )

Anyone else out there today!?

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post21 Sep 2007, 20:46

That Diesel is a nice one - I've been tempted several times to buy one, but up to now I managed to resist. But who knows what happens if I find one at a bargain price ;-)
I played a bit with PaintShopPro - here is a slightly reworked version of your DZ7023 image, feel free to use it if you want :-)

About the PH-1077's hour hand: it disappointed me quite a bit, because I really liked the idea of the the analog display before i purchased it.
Designer is Philippe Starck - usually his designs are very elaborate. Maybe he didn't specify the hour hand detailed enough and the software guy took the easy way...
Fossil seems quite talented in f...ing up good ideas (like the OLED watch). BTW: did I mention that the "alarm" is almost inaudible?
It has a nice bluish EL light - backlight isn't quite the richt word because the active (black) LCD segments light up, not the background. I still don't know how this works (physically) - any ideas? My first LCD with this sort of light was the Seiko Nooka.

Fitron

Wizard

Wizard

Post21 Sep 2007, 21:23

With tedious regularity, the beauty that is a beast!!!

New batteries in and it's bright! This watch has totally killed of buying a SS P2 or P3 forever. Thanks for saving me money Jeff ;-)

I have no LCD's - I had a lovely black plastic Casio throughout the eighties at school and I was gutted when the integrated strap snapped. I'm amused at the analogue hand - it's kind of obvious that is should move.....unless the programmer only ever knew about digitals :-? How difficult is it to make a curved LCD?

Talking of fossil I've been searching high and low but can find no trace of that drivers OLED that was posted earlier. Anyone have any news of it.

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

Post21 Sep 2007, 21:38

Rewolf- unfortunately I don't know how the EL backlighting works on your intriguing PH-1077. I have a few Timex LCD's with EL but it lights up the whole face - the usual set up. Maybe one of our more tech-savy members can shed some light on this? (I couldn't resist! :-D )

And thanks for the reworked pic. BTW - that's a paperclip I put under the watch to keep it from rolling forward when I was trying to photograph it.

Fitron and the Beast!
I really like the LED's on that big boy, it's just too bulky for me. Now if Jeff ever comes out with a slimline LED - I'd be all over that! 8-)

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Re: : What watch will you be wearing on Friday???

Post22 Sep 2007, 16:45

LEDluvr wrote:...BTW - that's a paperclip I put under the watch to keep it from rolling forward when I was trying to photograph it...
and I used a small piezo loudspeaker to keep it from rolling backward (visible on 1st photo) ;-) (shall we open a new thread on this topic ? :-D)

@Fitron:
Don't use the blue M-1 in the cinema - people sitting next to you will complain because the're blinded ;-)
My first digital watch (also at school in the 80s) was also a Casio (DB-500, module 262) - I dug it out some months ago and it's still working, but I never wear it.
I "restored" it with PaintShop, here the comparison before/after:
ImageImage

About the OLED: it's a Diesel (though Fossil makes the watches for Diesel AFAIK). I emailed them, but no response yet.
Just to keep it from being forgotten:
Come on people, ask Diesel! Perhaps they're just waiting for enough interested people.

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post22 Sep 2007, 17:11

I like that Diesel! I don't like the silly industrial looking rivits on it but otherwise it's a nice looking watch. Does anyone know if the display on it is any good?

Don't use the blue M-1 in the cinema - people sitting next to you will complain because the're blinded

Movie theater tip:

Put a CR-2032 in the watch instead. Make it a good one, however, like an Engergizer. It will light up more like the red watch and it has a darker blue shade.

Now if Jeff ever comes out with a slimline LED

Nope. With the back plate off, It's thinner than the Pulsar P3 you know. :-D

Jeff

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post22 Sep 2007, 17:45

Ok - searched again, the Diesel is now available in shops :-)
I started a new thread.

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post01 Oct 2007, 23:41

Well, I missed last Friday (Sept 28th), and I'm a bit early for the next Friday, Oct 5th, but I know for sure what I will be wearing every day until then:
ImageImage
Girard-Perregaux Casquette 9939 Macrolon, vulgo "The GP"

The story: Purchased in Feb 2005, and 3 months later it didn't work any more: first it ran very fast, then it stopped (temperature dependent):cry::cry::x.
I suspected a defective quartz, but never found the courage to attempt repair. The GP has a flexible circuit board, and over the years some copper traces have partially separated from the board, so it is very delicate to solder.
Anyway, last weekend I did it: new quartz - worked 50% (oscillator wouldn't start on batteries, only on DC power supply). Then added a 10MegOhm resistor in parallel with the quartz: et voilà :-D - still perfectly on time after 48hrs :-D I am SO happy! :-D :-D :-D

Fitron

Wizard

Wizard

Post02 Oct 2007, 10:19

Oh yes, oh yes. Very nice indeed Rewolf.

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

Post02 Oct 2007, 19:41

Awesome watch there Rewolf! :!: I've always admired the GP's.
And not a scratch on it either. The case and band are made of nylon ?? How about the buckle? It looks like the clasp is stainless steel, the buckle too?

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post02 Oct 2007, 21:04

LEDluvr wrote:...The case and band are made of nylon ?? How about the buckle? It looks like the clasp is stainless steel, the buckle too?
I can say anything that isn't plastic is stainless steel ;-). The plastic is "Macrolon", Bayer's brand name for Polycarbonate. CDs and DVDs are also made of this material. http://www.makrolon.com, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macrolon. It has very high impact resistance.

The following images may answer your question (and show that is DOES have some scratches ;-)) ENJOY!
Bottom view with complete bracelet (1026x800 246kB)
Closeup of case (1270x800 290kB)
Closeup of front (713x800 158kB)
Rear side (779x800 205kB)
Left side (806x800 173kB)
The bracelet links are held together by 2 Nylon (IIRC) cords, if you look closely at the Bottom view photo, you can see where the cords run through the bracelet.

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

Post02 Oct 2007, 21:30

Very cool Rewolf 8-) - thanks for those additional pics.
Now that you mention it, those scrtatches really make the watch look horrible. Maybe you should consider getting rid of it. I would be more than happy to take it off your hands. ;-)

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post03 Oct 2007, 12:25

LEDluvr wrote:Now that you mention it, those scratches really make the watch look horrible. Maybe you should consider getting rid of it. I would be more than happy to take it off your hands. ;-)
Your're right, considering that it doesn't have its original quartz any more and has been tinkered with, it's less than perfect, so let me think a moment...

Ok - I'd definitely swap it for a minty stainless steal GP, or maybe a like-new HP-01 (steel, with stylus and box), or even a Heuer Chronosplit ... or perhaps this Longines ... or a nice Omega 1611 "Albatros" ... or .... err, well, nice try, but forget it ;-)

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

Post03 Oct 2007, 19:34

Well you can't blame a guy for trying. ;-)

Ok - I'd definitely swap it for a minty stainless steal GP, or maybe a like-new HP-01 (steel, with stylus and box), or even a Heuer Chronosplit ...

All these are also on my wish list, so even if you were serious, I'd still be S.O.L. :cry: But I'll get there step by step!
PreviousNext

Return to Reviews and latest Acquisitions