It is currently 30 Apr 2024, 08:05

Friday 17th

Present your latest purchases, talk about pro + cons or write an interesting review!
  • Author

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Friday 17th

Post16 Aug 2007, 22:12

It's not yet Friday, but I'll be offline tomorrow, wearing this one:
Junghans Mega 1, the first radio-controlled wristwatch. This is the 26/0014 variant with shiny bluish black IP coating 8-)
I remember when it came out in 1990 I found it very interesting, but ugly and too expensive. Today I love it and the price I paid for the ones I have was only 20 to 50% of the original price :-) Sometimes it's worth to wait...

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

: Friday 17th

Post17 Aug 2007, 20:55

Interesting Junghans rewolf - I've never seen that model before.
(I know you're off line today but...) I just noticed there are no pusher buttons. Obviously you don't need to set a radio-controlled watch.
Just wondering how you use the light or EL ?

Here is what I'm wearing today - the oldest LCD in my collection,
the Seiko 0624-5009! :-)

Fitron

Wizard

Wizard

Post17 Aug 2007, 21:19

Ah I've been on the Omega all week (Been off work ill all week though, so no risk of damaging it). Time for a change to this for the weekend....

Bought this off Ed a while back - I've only just resized it from his manly wrist size down to something realistic (in other words I removed a whole one link :-P ) so now it's a perfect fit :-D

Nice Junghans rewolf, still looks cutting edge despite its age.

Ledluvr, what do the two buttons on the front do? I assume one is a light but the other?

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

Post17 Aug 2007, 21:55

Nice Wittnauer Fitron. I've been planning on buying one of those... one of these days. :-)

Regarding the two buttons on my Seiko, the left button is the light and the right button is a setting button. On the right side of the case there is pull-out crown that puts the watch into setting mode. It's very basic as far as features go - but it's (I think) their first LCD - 1975 I believe. There is another model that looks the same but it has the date on the right command button and says 'date' on the bezel above the button.

BTW - Q. ; I tried to upload the pic but got the URL instead. When I upload a pic from imageshack I choose the 2nd option 'for message boards'. I'm clicking on the IMG button on the 'post a reply' screen, then paste the image shack url after that, and then I click on the IMG button again.
What am I doing wrong? :oops:

digibloke

Wizard

Wizard

Post17 Aug 2007, 22:46

I love those early Seiko LC watches - the build quality both inside and outside is fantastic. They even used brushed stainless steel on the module casing.

I think that there were two Seiko LCDs on the market before your watch LEDluvr the first was in 1973 and they both had 3 buttons on the front. I'm not too hot on Japanese but I'm pretty sure that these are the ones...

http://homepage.mac.com/utdesign/watch/watches/seikoDIGITAL.html

I want one. Dammit! I want them both.

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

Post17 Aug 2007, 22:57

Ah yes - I've seen this website before digibloke! I agree, they are all very cool. The third one from the top is just like my 0624! Minus the scratches. :-P

You're absolutely right, it's very solidly constructed. I heard that some of the internal contacts are gold plated but that may be hype. I've never opened the case, just the battery hatch. And I've never seen the top two on ebay or anywhere else for sale. If you catch one you have to tell us! :-D

digibloke

Wizard

Wizard

Post18 Aug 2007, 00:01

I've got noooo chance of getting one of those any time soon. Unless someone lists one as a "knackered old digital watch with three buttons" and forgets to use the word Seiko anywhere.

Even then, half the forum will have snipes on it :-)

seikoric

Geek

Geek

Post19 Aug 2007, 04:57

I have the 0624 but needs a new module or at least a good clean of the current one -

although right now im wearing this -

Seiko Landmaster with Altimeter, Barometer, Alarm, GMT... :)

Cheers, Ric

seikoric

Geek

Geek

Post20 Aug 2007, 19:34

Hi LEDluvr, or Zorin :)

Ive got a couple of these (neither work well), can i ask which type of bracelet yours has?, as you may not be able to spot it at first but mine are both different, the one on the right flows into the case more whereas the left one has a bit of a step

The left bracelet on the the underside says "B194S" and the right one "BI94"

i think the watch on the right has a more satisfying shape overall as it is more fluid looking, it looks like although on his website he has the step bracelet version - http://homepage.mac.com/utdesign/watch/ ... GITAL.html

Interestingly the Step version seems to be the later production version (according to the sn) i wonder why they changed it(?)

Cheers, Ric

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

Post20 Aug 2007, 20:39

Hi Casioric, uh, I mean Seikoric ;-)

Fortunately I'm wearing mine now, the band is B194S. I agree, that gap between the band and the case is not as professional looking as the other band. I had no idea there were two types of bands. :!: It's weird that the latter one would be the 'less evolved' one, so to speak.

I've suspected that the gap was due to the springbars being bowed out from years of use, but I've never bothered to take off the band to check.
I guess it's just the way it was made. :-?

BTW - you mentioned earlier that your's might need a good cleaning inside (to restore the missing segments of the display ??). I've tried to open mine out of curiousity but that button above the battery hatch refuses to budge! Have you been able to open yours?

seikoric

Geek

Geek

Post20 Aug 2007, 21:01

Thanks for checking that out, i suspect my version is harder to come by, i like to think so ;)

Yes i need to open it to clean it to hopefully restore the display, i havent actually attempted to open it yet, its one of those jobs i keep putting off, i'll let you know if and when i ever attempt it!

Cheers, Ric

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

Post20 Aug 2007, 22:31

Sounds good Ric!

Return to Reviews and latest Acquisitions