It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 15:27

Friday 24th

Present your latest purchases, talk about pro + cons or write an interesting review!
  • Author

digibloke

Wizard

Wizard

Friday 24th

Post24 Aug 2007, 12:23

I'm wearing my NSC calc watch today. Or "Pandoras box" as I now refer to it. (I'd really not recommend taking the module out of one of these things unless you really, really have to ;-) ).

Lovely piece of kit though. Huge, solid and heavy.

rewolf

Guru

Guru

: Friday 24th

Post24 Aug 2007, 14:03

I simply love that NSC! I want one, in mint condition, with WORKING LCD please. Peter Wenzig had one for sale som time ago, I even though about swapping my Optel DSM (avatar) for it, but when I finally had made up my mind, it was already sold to sombody else... so the quest goes on ;-)

Here's my friday watch:
Seiko Nooka, designed by Matthew Waldman. It has a nice mirrored dial.
There's also a version with stainless steel bracelet and white dial, a black stainless steel (gunmetal) version with black dial, and finally one with a brown leather strap (don't know the dial colour).

Somehow Seiko failed to market the watch, so Waldman did it on his own:
Nooka Zoo
There are several other versions, see www.nooka.com.

digibloke

Wizard

Wizard

Post24 Aug 2007, 15:00

Cool watches! (way too modern and reliable for me though - I prefer the thrill of knowing my thirty year old watch could die at any moment ;-) )

I simply love that NSC! I want one, in mint condition, with WORKING LCD

Yep. The lcd's on those Novus/NSC calculator watches have leaked on far too many of them. (mine's fine - just a couple of pinpricks on the polarizing filter). The problem is that the clip which holds the lcd onto the zebra connectors put's way too much pressure on the middle of the display. This is compounded by the fact that the clip is also part of the system of holding the module in the case (more pressure :roll:)

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Re: : Friday 24th

Post24 Aug 2007, 16:45

digibloke wrote:The lcd's on those Novus/NSC calculator watches have leaked on far too many of them. (mine's fine - just a couple of pinpricks on the polarizing filter). The problem is that the clip which holds the lcd onto the zebra connectors put's way too much pressure on the middle of the display. This is compounded by the fact that the clip is also part of the system of holding the module in the case (more pressure :roll:)
So that's the reason - interesting info. Most of the LCDs start bleeding at the lower middle of the LCD - IIUC that's where that clip is.
About a year ago, bastibeppi sold a whole bunch of these all with defective LCD (totally black). Some went for less than 50EUR, but all 6 that I bid on sold for much more...

Idea: have a chinese manufacturer make a replacement LCD. Inital cost=1500EUR, cost per LCD=3EUR. Revitalize 3 watches and you have the inital cost paid back.
Anybody with a few mint NSC calculators with defective LCD?

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

Post24 Aug 2007, 18:55

Nice modern and vintage calc. LCD's there gentleman.

Today I'm old school as usual, I'm wearing my "La Generale" LED I bought
from LED-Land last year. :-)

[url][url=http://img528.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ledlageneralemy2.jpg][img=http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/2646/ledlageneralemy2.th.jpg][/url] [/url]

Fitron

Wizard

Wizard

Post24 Aug 2007, 20:52

I'm wearing my P2, celebrating my birthday (2 days late) and getting a new job offer :-D

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post25 Aug 2007, 01:24

Awesome Campbell!! Happy Birthday!! hey, I recognize that P2, I did the brushing! :lol: Glad that job offer is getting closer to reality man, sounded really nice from what you told me. This is a hard working chap folks...and he's preparing to go for an advanced degree. 8-)
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Fitron

Wizard

Wizard

Post25 Aug 2007, 09:27

3 and 1/2 months from verbal to firm offer - my wife was convinced it was a wind up. Term starts again on Monday so more time on the computer :-D Damn it's work :-( Best of all, as it's library work I need a quiet watch. Time to surf ebay I reckon :-P but those Nookas look nice on the website..... Oh and I get Mondays off to look after the kids - family time :-D :-D :-D

AlmightyTallest

Wizard

Wizard

Post25 Aug 2007, 15:54

I've been favoring this one for the last few months.

It's large, but it's just so comfortable resting on top of my wrist I forget I'm wearing it sometimes.

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post25 Aug 2007, 16:26

Aah, this is a nice one. I'd even swap it with my own DSM (but not the strap ;-) )
Is it the one thas was sold on ebay by kryz68 on April 22nd?

AlmightyTallest

Wizard

Wizard

Post25 Aug 2007, 16:57

Yes rewolf, it was kryz68's. When I saw it I just had to have it. :-D

I also have the identical one you have as your avatar that I recieved from Greg, and it has the flashing display.

I think the band on this Tarnan is origional because it has "SGT" in black letters on the clasp though I admit it's not as nice as the band that came with my Optel.

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Re: : Friday 24th

Post25 Aug 2007, 17:40

AlmightyTallest wrote:I also have the identical one you have as your avatar that I recieved from Greg, and it has the flashing display.
So we have the identical watch from the same seller :-)
I had asked kryz68 about the Tärnan band because it looked a bit suspective, but he assured mit it was original.

Return to Reviews and latest Acquisitions