It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 21:51

Crusty - watch gone bad.

Present your latest purchases, talk about pro + cons or write an interesting review!
  • Author

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Crusty - watch gone bad.

Post14 Nov 2007, 16:37

We could have a photo contest - crustiest watch, with internal and external classes. :lol:
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

: Crusty - watch gone bad.

Post18 Nov 2007, 22:06

I don't think there is any chance of this one coming back to life.....

ELY_M

Techie

Techie

Post19 Nov 2007, 01:09

wow poor omega :(

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post19 Nov 2007, 08:19

My hat's off to Ed; that's the worst I've ever seen. Try this...get some CLR [Calcium-Lime-Rust remover], fill a container deep enough to allow total immersion of the watch, and drop her in [I would toss the caseback in, too]. In 60 seconds, that entire case will be as clean as the day it left the factory, and all traces of corrosive material will be neutralized. Give it a whirl, and show us an "after" pic... I agree about the module; when parts start falling off, the story is pretty much over.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post19 Nov 2007, 17:00

On the mend....

Surprised nobody commented on the light sensor laying in the crusty crumbs. :lol: Wait, I guess Bruce did.
Bruce is quite right - Lime-away or CLR or something simular for rust and calcium stains. DOn't leave on like for hours though...most can lightly etch glass and porcelian(Pulsar/Omega/Hamilton logos).
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post20 Nov 2007, 07:30

Great job, Ed. The only thing I'd have different is to pull the O-ring out, too. Traces of the corrosives may still be hiding underneath, and before I'd put a new module in this case, I would want ALL of that stuff out of there. Amazing what some properly applied chemistry can accomplish, isn't it?

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post20 Nov 2007, 15:09

Bruce - that case ring has been out. YEah, I've been recommending Lime Away for ages. Good for other things too "What about those Pulsar, Litronix or National Semiconductor modules with pronged battery contacts? A cotton swab wetted with a small amount of a mild bathroom corrosion or water stain remover, such as Lime-Away, will lift most of the corrosion off quickly and safely. Then take a dry cotton swab and blot off all of the excess. Again, finish up by applying a very light coating of electrical contact cleaner/protector or die-electric grease onto the prongs to protect them against the next [ inevitable] assault." from
http://www.thedigitalwatch.com/Archives ... ip_001.htm

I'm mainly geeked at what a beauty this one is externally....a repair job where the customer wondered what I'd give for the most pristine case and original glass I've ever held(just covered with grime which I had removed by then). Even with the cost of a new module it was less than $1000 8-)

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

Post21 Nov 2007, 04:43

Great job there Ed - and great tips for us newer folks to follow too. 8-)

Return to Reviews and latest Acquisitions