It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 18:46

Watch I'm wearing - Jan.18,2008

Present your latest purchases, talk about pro + cons or write an interesting review!
  • Author

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Watch I'm wearing - Jan.18,2008

Post18 Jan 2008, 18:47

It's not digital, but I love the little whirring sound/feel of the generator(Seiko Kinetic).
The Browning Hi-Power is semi-automatic too.....albiet, it creates a slightly different feeling in the arm. :lol:
I just thought they look darn good in a picture together. 8-)

http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

rewolf

Guru

Guru

: Watch I'm wearing - Jan.18,2008

Post18 Jan 2008, 19:47

Interesting watch for a non-digital (at least the date IS digital ;-)).
My father collects and restores guns (vintage and modern), he often tries to explain to me what's special about a certain model, but I never got into weapons - in the end they are built to injure or kill people (only for self-defense of course).
Nice photo, though.

As for today's watch, it's the GP again, like it has been for the last 4 weeks... I've been neglecting my Ventura d_SPARC so much that its power reserve has run empty. That's the major backdraw of an automatic watch - but it also makes a nice whirring sound when it turns its generator, probably similar to your Kinetic :-)

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Re: : Watch I'm wearing - Jan.18,2008

Post18 Jan 2008, 20:51

rewolf wrote:Interesting watch for a non-digital (at least the date IS digital ;-)).
My father collects and restores guns (vintage and modern), he often tries to explain to me what's special about a certain model, but I never got into weapons - in the end they are built to injure or kill people (only for self-defense of course).
Nice photo, though.

As for today's watch, it's the GP again, like it has been for the last 4 weeks... I've been neglecting my Ventura d_SPARC so much that its power reserve has run empty. That's the major backdraw of an automatic watch - but it also makes a nice whirring sound when it turns its generator, probably similar to your Kinetic :-)

Rewolf:
I've never shot anyone, but I have held a tresspasser at gunpoint until the police came. I mainly have older collectible guns(and swords and other "Edged weapons") for display, newer for self-defense(anti-robbery) - I have had to make it apparent I was carrying a few times(legal, I am licensed). I also have a few that are modern for hunting(deer and small game/birds) as well as crossbow. I can hunt on my own land, so I do. The deer are a nuisance as deer-car collisions kill several people in this area each year - public service hunting. :lol:

Yeah, the need for winding is a drawback to automatics(although I won't buy any other type of mechanical generally). Guess we both need to invest in one of those winding boxes. ;-) The sound is so cool, like a little man is pedeling a bicycle inside the watch. :shock:

Could you post up a copy of your Junghans manual here? Please. :-)
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

Post19 Jan 2008, 06:59

Nice Browning there Ed.

I guess I'm 'slumming' today compared to you guys.
I'm wearing one of my cheap but reliable Timex LCD's, the one on the right.

Image Takes a licking but keeps on "ticking". :-)

Fitron

Wizard

Wizard

Post19 Jan 2008, 12:51

I've got this all american beauty on today.

Ed, I'm surprised at you. You're a patriotic american, a Japanese watch on a Belgium gun, shouldn't you have a Pulsar hanging off a M1911A1 or a Colt Peacemaker? :-P No pistols allowed in the UK - unless, bizarrely you're a vet, then they are allowed to own multi shot weapons (ie pistols) due to the nature of the nature of their work but that is not a commonly known fact.

Diginut

Techie

Techie

Post19 Jan 2008, 15:18

Pistols maybe not, but oddly enough, if you're in the EU you can also buy a rocket launcher off ebay and send it through the post wrapping it up disguised as a cricket bat or something. No kidding :-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0193577930

And if youre worried about being shot at, then dont buy a hummer, buy an old tank. They are road legal in the UK ...

I actually know someone in london who really does drive a armour plated 6 wheeled troup carrier/tank on public roads, fully taxed and licenced. He can only see out of a hatch at the front thats the size of a letter box, but he says hes never had a problem with any taxi divers or volvos cutting him up in traffic. Or at least, he cant remember crushing any into the tarmac ....

cte

Techie

Techie

Post19 Jan 2008, 15:35

wow... the side view of the rocket launcher looks mean as hell!! i want one for my wall!! :) havent seen any tanks on the road round here though.. i will keep an eye out while im on my rounds today. ;)

..and ive never heard about vets and guns??!! what do they need one for? shooting elephants lol?

i have been wearing this non stop over the past week or two. its not in perfect condition, but that just means i can relax while wearing it. dont have to worry about damaging it. ..i get lots of comments from people while im wearing it. huge amounts of fun to wear. very comfortable.

tc classic

Fitron

Wizard

Wizard

Post19 Jan 2008, 18:37

Why would a vet need a revolver - to put down animals of course.

"So horsey, are you feeling lucky with that broken leg?"

They tend to commit suicide with drugs - they're amongst the highest successful suicides in the UK :-( They tend to use drugs on animals nowadays too. Less messy and they can charge more (the owner has no idea how much the drugs cost, but bullets are cheap, also no need to go through all the police checks, gun cabinets etc).

As for driving a tank, yep I could, (with a 2 hour tracked vehicle course under my belt) be road legal to drive my own Chieftan tank down the road. Ironically the army makes it's tank drivers go on a 2 week intensive course but we civvies don't need all that gubbins. ;-) In France it's (I believe) illegal to own armoured vehicles but as a EU citizen I could legally take a 60 tonne tank to France and drive it there. I saw a telly program about a man who did that (but it was a piddly little 7 tonne Scorpian). Oh the gendarme's faces when that pulled up was a sight to behold....70mph down the autoroutes. ;-)

I have changed to my M1 'cos my tops changed.

Oh aye, digi, I bet your mate never gets clamped lololol

CompuChron

Techie

Techie

Post19 Jan 2008, 22:05

Hi,
it's even illegal in France now to own a jeep willys painted green army!

But the most dangerous of all people are the swiss ,each men has an army riffle in its attic.(they are all reservist and have a gun given by swiss army)

BTW, I'm wearing my SS Zenith analog/led, nice watch.

Led-Time

Guru

Guru

Post20 Jan 2008, 13:09

I had a go with one of those Browning High Powers at a range a few years back (when they were still legal here in the UK that is, feckin stupid government) it was the solid colour military issue I couldn't hit a bloody thing the guns owner said they were designed to keep peoples heads down not for accuracy, first time I'd fired a semi-auto pistol and I loved it... :-)

Fancied a bit of bling today so this is what I'am wearing...

[site admin....gotta love anything with a bolted on faceplate. 8-) ]

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Re: : Watch I'm wearing - Jan.18,2008

Post20 Jan 2008, 21:35

retroleds wrote:Rewolf:
I've never shot anyone, but I have held a tresspasser at gunpoint until the police came. ..... I can hunt on my own land, so I do. The deer are a nuisance as deer-car collisions kill several people in this area each year - public service hunting. :lol:
And what if the trespasser had tried to run away? That's the problem - it's a very thin line. But I have to stop here, really don't want to argue ;-) (I'm a radical pacifist and probably a coward...)
Anyway, my father knows a lot of hunters here, and from time to time we can get a deer or a wild pig from one of them - that's where I profit from firearms, definitely ;-)

retroleds wrote:Yeah, the need for winding is a drawback to automatics(although I won't buy any other type of mechanical generally). Guess we both need to invest in one of those winding boxes. ;-)
Been thinking about that. But somehow it's crazy to have a battery-less automatic digital watch and then use a battery-operated winder to keep it running...

retroleds wrote:Could you post up a copy of your Junghans manual here? Please. :-)
I guess you're referring to the posting on the "renegade" forum (BTW: Thanks for pointing that forum out to me ;-) )
Mega 1000 manuals as PDF for download:
German http://www.junghans.de/html/img/products/186_42.712-0429_D.pdf for W604.62
English http://www.junghans.de/html/img/products/216_42.712-0429_GB.pdf for W604.62
I also have a PDF of the multilingual (D/GB/F/E/I/HL/DK) manual - PM me if you need it.

Fitron

Wizard

Wizard

Post24 Jan 2008, 22:28

Not the only one who can put a gun next to a watch...

Apologies for the crappy quality, a very quick photo at lunchtime.

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

Post26 Jan 2008, 07:00

LOL! Something tells me there is a lot more metal in that watch than in that gun. :lol:

Return to Reviews and latest Acquisitions