It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 21:04

VEry funky - Makrolon cased Windert "Micrel"

Present your latest purchases, talk about pro + cons or write an interesting review!
  • Author

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

VEry funky - Makrolon cased Windert "Micrel"

Post17 Mar 2009, 05:21

Swiss made case, NAtional Semi DOW. Weirdo or what!?
Last edited by retroleds on 23 Mar 2009, 00:07, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

fronzelneekburm

Guru

Guru

: VEry funky - Macralon cased Windert "Micrel"

Post17 Mar 2009, 19:19

Oh my goodness, this is such a beauty!!! Never seen before and i have really seen some odd stuff (Yeah some german collectors have REALLY impressive stuff)...Is that yours?

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post17 Mar 2009, 19:48

It IS mine...but I want to sell it(it was sitting, just waiting for a fresh brain). But what to ask for it :-? Rare, odd material, odd color(actually a medium grey. Thoughts on value?
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

charger105

Guru

Guru

Post21 Mar 2009, 09:39

Yep, it is an interesting looking LED. I'm sure it'd have more appeal with a more appropriate band ! I really hate those 'flex' bands......I don't think I've ever seen one on a watch that looks good.

I suppose it would've had a matching Macrolon band originally. Is Macrolon just textured plastic ?

Rgds.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

: VEry funky - Makrolon cased Windert "Micrel"

Post23 Mar 2009, 00:38

I went looking for Macralon and found it is actually "Makrolon", a trade name for polycarbonate plastic first made by Bayer. From Bayer's Material Science site:
[Makrolon® - Product description]
Makrolon® is the trade name used for the polycarbonate from Bayer MaterialScience.
Makrolon® is an amorphous, thermoplastic molding compound.

It is noted for its high light transmission, high heat resistance, high toughness, high creep modulus, high dimensional stability and good electrical insulation properties.

Glass fiber reinforced Makrolon® has a particularly high rigidity, coupled with very good dimensional stability.

Gee, I like those flex bands,especially some of the better ones witgh good gold-filled trim...strictly personal preference. I know my buddy Steve over at planet-led hates leather bands, but I love a leather band. I like to keep my total watch weight to 45-50 grams....anything I can feel jangling about on my body bothers me.

The watch originally had a matching grey velor/velvet band with a silver pattern on it, but it was totally decayed. :-(

fronzelneekburm

Guru

Guru

Post26 Mar 2009, 15:39

I'm totally in love with the design, why couldn't they make more watches like this??? :x

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post26 Mar 2009, 19:14

Well, that Micrel it's definitely - errr - unique ;-)
Is it only my eyesight or is the display actually misaligned?

BTW the only good-looking Macrolon watch ever was the GP ;-)

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Re: : VEry funky - Makrolon cased Windert "Micrel"

Post26 Mar 2009, 21:40

rewolf wrote:Well, that Micrel it's definitely - errr - unique ;-)
Is it only my eyesight or is the display actually misaligned?

BTW the only good-looking Macrolon watch ever was the GP ;-)
Rewolf, it was a little cocked - popped the back and nudged it. Perfect now. I picked up some real photographer's lights this weekend and a diffusion cube - I replaced the picture(look!) with a shot using one light and my old "homemade" photo box, since i want to completely reorganize my photography area. The picture is now extremely close to true color.

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post26 Mar 2009, 22:12

retroleds wrote:.... I picked up some real photographer's lights this weekend and a diffusion cube - I replaced the picture(look!) with a shot using one light and my old "homemade" photo box, since i want to completely reorganize my photography area. The picture is now extremely close to true color.
Better now. MUCH BETTER! :-)

Led-Time

Guru

Guru

Post26 Mar 2009, 23:55

If you can change the white balance setting on your camera this helps too, and nice watch Ed... :-)

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post27 Mar 2009, 02:17

Klippie wrote:If you can change the white balance setting on your camera this helps too, and nice watch Ed... :-)
Yeah, constant battle to photography. I am going to build a box to block all external light, set my photo cube in it with a light to each side and shoot everything thru a "port-hole" for my camera's lens to poke thru. The variance in daylight is too frustrating to deal with.

I don't know if that watch is "nice" or just f'n weird. And very strudy construction - a solid steel ring with the buttons set into it, which is what the case-back snaps onto. Not like those Exalars or a T.I...some of the Rodania plastic bodied pieces used the same construction. I've got one of those ring/button/back assemblies set aside for a project piece...want to make a wooden watch case, got a nice piece of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocobolo wood....

Led-Time

Guru

Guru

Post27 Mar 2009, 15:47

Interesting you mention making a project wooden watch, there's a local company here that does cnc ultra high pressure water glass cutting how cool would it be to have a glass led watch. I've got a spare big digit dot display module that would be perfect for it, hmmm... :idea:

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post27 Mar 2009, 19:58

Klippie wrote:Interesting you mention making a project wooden watch, there's a local company here that does cnc ultra high pressure water glass cutting how cool would it be to have a glass led watch. I've got a spare big digit dot display module that would be perfect for it, hmmm... :idea:
Or buy a small tabletop kiln and mold yourself one - you could make yourself one out of gold or sivler using metal clay, which is metal dust with a little clay for binder,while you are working it. Let it dry, fire to fuse, becomes VERY solid, albiet, a slight graininess to it that is hard to polish to a true gloss..

Sully008

Wizard

Wizard

Post07 Apr 2009, 18:44

Hey Ed!

I think I found your watch's twin:

http://cgi.ebay.com/WATCH-RED-LED-RETRO ... 240%3A1318

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post07 Apr 2009, 21:16

Nice watch Ed - looks like a different watch in the updated picture,
the first picture made the case look a yucky shade of beige - much nicer now!

I think I found your watch's twin:

Will be interesting to see what it sells for, pity the seller doesn't post to the UK, I would be tempted to make a bid.

fronzelneekburm

Guru

Guru

Post07 Apr 2009, 22:33

Klippie wrote:Interesting you mention making a project wooden watch, there's a local company here that does cnc ultra high pressure water glass cutting how cool would it be to have a glass led watch. I've got a spare big digit dot display module that would be perfect for it, hmmm... :idea:

Interesting idea. I actually have a 3D scanner and a small mill here. In the beginning we made some wood and plastic moulds of a Seiko module, of course a solid block, not hollowed for a module. With wood it actually would need to be a hard wood, for a watch module luckily it takes not much material, so even some rare root wood or rose wood could be used. I'm sure a wooden LED watch would look quite cool. I could also cut Acryl with my small mill, but if you can polish it clear enough depends on the shape. A Pulsar out of pure Acryl (minus the buttons ) would not be impossible i think with a bit of additional "contact helpers". I'm not sure about Glass, but if its not like you "break your watch" if you accidentially ditch the doorframe it might be cooler. I'm not sure Bruce would like the idea, because this would be kinda "Pulsar faking" i think? Is the shape patented??? I mean of classic P2 or P3? As there were some familiar copied designs (Yeah our "fake" GP for example) but THE famous pulsar was afaik never really copied (from talking about the exact shape) as i know.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post07 Apr 2009, 23:48

Fronzel - I personally wouldn't copy any of the current designs, as I have a sketch book where I have been drawing designs for some time now. I think I have 4 highly unque driver's styles and 6-7 front display styles. I'm thinking more like Grima using a Pulsar module inside of his case designs, not shlocking off a fake Pulsar or TC-1 :lol: . That would be very *Lame-O!

*Lame-o
Main Entry: lame-o
Part of Speech: adj
Definition: stupid; inept
Example: a lame-o excuse
Etymology: 1950s+
Usage: slang

Return to Reviews and latest Acquisitions