It is currently 30 Apr 2024, 14:43

CompuChron - cool finish

Present your latest purchases, talk about pro + cons or write an interesting review!
  • Author

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

CompuChron - cool finish

Post26 Aug 2009, 17:18

Stainless on a crocodile band ......I have it's twin in gold. :-)
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

LEDNutz

Geek

Geek

: CompuChron - cool finish

Post27 Jan 2011, 03:21

I just purchased a gold one on Ebay. The one I received has the gold tone CC signed band. In my opinion, the band does not compliment the finish on the watch bezel, at all. It would have been nice to see the same finish on the band as well so I'm debating the idea of giving the band a milled finish to match the watch or purchasing a nice leather or crocodile skin band for it instead.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post27 Jan 2011, 12:05

I have the gold tone version but can't get a band to match with it, I've tried loads of variations but because of the milled finish on the case they all just look wrong. It would be interesting to see what band you decide on.

Any idea what the original band was like, was it just a plain band or did it have a milled finish to match the case?

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post28 Jan 2011, 01:09

I think it is like matching pants to a blazer/jacket - either they have to be a dead-on match, or you have to go for a degree of contrast. The milled finish is so strong on those watches - like you guys said, either a matching band or a plain band that doesn't compete with the case.

Sort of like the various bark,milled and peaned finish Wittnauers that came with velour(velvet-like) bands. Where are you going to get another band like that? Some kind of lightly patterned organic material seems the best match - eel, shark, plain leather, snake or lizard. Here I went with eel in black.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
http://www.retroleds.com/Items/WA249.htm
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

LEDNutz

Geek

Geek

Post28 Jan 2011, 03:41

Bucko,
This watch has a plain goldtone Compu Chron band attached and I can only assume it's original to the watch due to the amount of soiling present between the band and case. I'm quite embarrassed :oops: to show it at this point due to it's present condition but here it is.... BE WARNED, IT'S NOT PRETTY!

Retro,
Super nice match-up between the peaned wittnauer case and the eel skin band. The band contrasts nicely against the tone and finish of the case.

As for a replacement band, I'm leaning toward a medium tone snake skin band. I found a nice 19 mm band made of anaconda that looks like it would compliment the case nicely. if I choose it I will "Dress" the watch and post photos. I am definitely going to take this band and mill the surface to replicate the pattern on the case. I'll have to have the band re-plated after milling and with any luck it will compliment the case, when it's finished.

I have been curious about the serial #'s on these watches for some time and can not find any information pertaining to it. It shows 5000022 on the case back of this particular watch. Does that mean it was watch # 22 produced in 1975?

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post28 Jan 2011, 13:14

Mine would benefit from a better quality band, the one that I have it on is too flimsy, to work with this case I think it would need to have a band with more substance about it.

I was hoping the original band would have been nicer. :-(

LEDNutz
For the perfect match why not have the case re-plated at the same time as the band?

The serial number on mine is 50011116, the crystal is stamped 'ChronoSonic100' rather than Compu Chron.

LEDNutz

Geek

Geek

Post29 Jan 2011, 00:01

For the perfect match why not have the case re-plated at the same time as the band?

Most definitely, the case and band will be re-plated at the same time. No sense scrimping on it and ending up with a Frankenstein. This weekend I will be making a jig for the band to secure to during milling to keep it from shifting on the milling table. I think just a light surfacing with a 1/16 inch surface bit should do the trick, say 1 or 2/1000 of an inch. I like the fact that the band links are flat on top so they should mill evenly. Rather low end watch to be squaring up but it's a descent one and it keeps me sane during the winter months.

Bad Juju

Techie

Techie

Post31 Jan 2011, 22:25

What about black or gray stingray with the silver finish and brown stingray with the gold finish. The "pebbles" in the stingray bands might go well with the milling in the case finish.
- Shaun

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post31 Jan 2011, 22:39

I have one of the gold finish Compu CHrons and it came with this wide flex band with a honey-comb pattern on it - that wasn't too bad.

:idea: You can glue the band down to a piece of hardwood board with some Super Glue that releases with acetone....take the acetone to it when done... :-)

Return to Reviews and latest Acquisitions