It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 11:17

State of the art then versus now; Optel LCD - Seiko EPD

Present your latest purchases, talk about pro + cons or write an interesting review!
  • Author

Huertecilla

Wizard

Wizard

State of the art then versus now; Optel LCD - Seiko EPD

Post04 Mar 2011, 16:01

Optel LCD and Seiko EPD compaired

Seperated by almost 40 years but since both occupy the exact same niche in their eras, a comparison is interesting.

The beginning

In 1962 the working principle was first documented in the note book of Dr.Heilmeier.
In 1964 Loius Zanoni was employed in the development.
When the LCD had reached production stage, Heilmeier and Zanoni moved to the Optel company to develop commercial products using it.
Here a photo of Lou Zanoni holding the watch subject of this comparison in front of his recognistion by RCA just before sending it to me.

The Epsa-Optel

The Segtronic Epsa-Optel was made by the Optel company that pioneered the first LCD module as fitted to a wristwatch.
The Swiss companies S.S.I.H., Gebefina and Lanids & Gyr particpated in the company in 1971.
From this participation came the Swiss cases by E.Piquerez SA (EPSA).
The watch was introduced in 1972 and through the Swiss connections saw the light under various brand names; Avia, Waltham, BWC, Titus, Elvia, Helvetia, Delvina, Zodiac, Rodania, Wyler, Glycene, Ditronic, Jules Jurgensen and Segtronic marketed by American Expresse.
The first to reach the market is under the BWC brand.
The price in 1973 ranged from $119 (for an American Express customer ´discount´ deal) to $289.
At this time a Chevrolet Vega had a window price of just under $2000.

The case measures 38 wide, 47 long, 11,5 mm. thick.
The lug with is 20 mm. but the folded metal bracelet tapers from 25 mm. at the case to 11 mm. at the folding clasp.
This bracelet on the Segtronic does not do the watch justice and on per example the Walchron by Waltham is a far better quality matching solid steel one in almost identical style.
The too cheap bracelet is an obvious compromise for the American Express company.
On the lightweight folded bracelet it weighs 98 grams.

The display is the first generation TNFE and is a direct replacement for the Dynamic Scattering mode display.
Here a video of the DSM http://www.davidsarnoff.org/rcatechlcd.html
It shows clearly by the blinking diamond shaped separators in the HH : MM display that the first TNFE has too because it shares the exact same module.
This first generation TNFE display is operating on 7 Volts trough a transformer and probably because of this has very good contrast.

The module is set using a single crown. It needs to be pushed in and turned to the required setting position. Hold for the display to adjust hour or minute.

The Seiko EPD

In an attempt to produce a watch with better contrast Seiko released a Electrochromic LCD in 1982, the F623.
This is based on the reduction – oxidation of tungstentrioxide. It has good contrast and does not need energy to display, only to update, but it has insufficient durability.
They kept on the subject though and released the first watch with e-ink technology in 2005.

Seiko SDGA00x EPD is released 0n 06 December 2010 for $985 to $1285.
The head is 42 wide, 42 high and 9,5 mm. thick.
The solid metal bracelet tapers from 30 mm at the head to 18 mm. at the deployment clasp.

The display is the first electrophoretic matrix display based on e-ink technology. The main mode displays HH : MM just like the Optel.
Unlike the Optel mode is also offers a seconds display, world time mode etc.

The module is set by using the front located buttons.
These indented buttons are a design homage to the first Seiko LCD model, the 06LC.

The indentations in the buttons have a black/white colour code which was blue/red on the 06LC.
This colour code originates from the BWC Optel

adding a véry nice touch to the putting the Optel LCD and Seiko EPD together.

Conclusion

Bottom line is that the two are the high end representatives of solid state digital quartz of their respective eras.

If seen against their time they are very much on par.
Taking time out of the comparison, the Seiko EPD is better in áll aspects and that is as it should be since it represents 40 years of development of technology; design, manufacturing, everything.

Two very wearable, well made watches that simply tell the time of day. Reliable, accurate, legible, functional; cool

´Design oder nicht sein´

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

: State of the art then versus now; Optel LCD - Seiko EPD

Post04 Mar 2011, 19:44

8-) 8-) 8-)
Thank you for the detailed comparison Huertecilla.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

: State of the art then versus now; Optel LCD - Seiko EPD

Post04 Mar 2011, 20:00

If it was a poll my vote would be for the Optel LCD.

I have just purchased one with a flashing DSM display from Greg Zanoni and even though I usually go for LED rather than LCD watches I have to say this one is absolutely cracking.

Greg was great to deal with and I would highly recommend him and the watch to anyone thinking about making a purchase.

f.e.a.r

Techie

Techie

Re: : State of the art then versus now; Optel LCD - Seiko EP

Post04 Mar 2011, 20:39

decided to pm my question.
Last edited by f.e.a.r on 04 Mar 2011, 21:10, edited 1 time in total.

Huertecilla

Wizard

Wizard

Post04 Mar 2011, 20:52

bucko170 wrote:If it was a poll my vote would be for the Optel LCD.

Do you have the Seiko too, or compared the two together in the metal?
´Design oder nicht sein´

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post04 Mar 2011, 22:02

Huertecilla wrote:Do you have the Seiko too, or compared the two together in the metal?

No and I don't have to in order to make a decision, the vintage watch will always hold a nostalgic charm for me which the new one is never going to be able to do........well maybe in 37 years it might.

A new watch is just a watch to me, no matter how fancy whereas a vintage watch is a little piece of history upon my wrist from an era connected with fond childhood memories that are called to mind each time I look upon it.

For me it's just no contest!

f.e.a.r

Techie

Techie

Post04 Mar 2011, 22:07

bucko170 wrote:
Huertecilla wrote:Do you have the Seiko too, or compared the two together in the metal?

No and I don't have to in order to make a decision, the vintage watch will always hold a nostalgic charm for me which the new one is never going to be able to do........well maybe in 37 years it might.

A new watch is just a watch to me, no matter how fancy whereas a vintage watch is a little piece of history upon my wrist from an era connected with fond childhood memories that are called to mind each time I look upon it.

I agree with Mick, well said.

Huertecilla

Wizard

Wizard

Post04 Mar 2011, 23:52

f.e.a.r wrote:
bucko170 wrote:

I agree with Mick, well said.

Ok, so the there wás no weighing, just nostalgia winning out all the way any way.
No problem, as long as it´s clear what we are talking about.
And you are clear about it.
It´s the same thing with mechanical worshippers stamping on anything not mechanical, only those confuse appreciation based on association with facts.

I am both pragmatic, a romantic ánd appreciative of the aesthetics of technology egardsless of the type or period.
Hence I apreciate p.e. a Seiko 6155 Special, a Kristall Chronometer, a Seiko tc quartz Grand Seika, a Seiko EPD ánd an Optel about on par ;-)
Prefer the Kristall for nostalgia reasons, prefer the Optel because of the link with the past, márvel at performance of the tc quartz GS but I wéar the EPD for being the most practical for that :idea:
The winner? Who cares. On specs it would be a solid state tc quartz digital anyday but that currently is not in existance !@@!
´Design oder nicht sein´

Return to Reviews and latest Acquisitions