It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 08:45

Future classics?

Present your latest purchases, talk about pro + cons or write an interesting review!
  • Author

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Future classics?

Post16 Apr 2011, 11:21

I think these fit the bill,any others to drool over in the future?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

jones38

Nerd

Nerd

: Future classics?

Post08 Aug 2011, 22:05

These are definitely futuristic. Can't wait to see my kids calling them classics some day.

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post09 Aug 2011, 08:55

The Majestyks are nice watches, but I don' believe they will become classics or collectibles one in 20-30 years or so.
No name - they will be forgotten. Nobody will look for one.
Besides the design, they are nothing special, nothing new, didn't start a new era or whatever, no fond childhood memories associated, etc. They just look nice and the case is rather well made - that's all. It's an anonymous watch. My 2c
(BTW: I own all 4 models and I love them ;-)

Huertecilla

Wizard

Wizard

Re: : Future classics?

Post09 Aug 2011, 10:48

rewolf wrote: It's an anonymous watch.

I agree.
A stunning initiative though but hardly anybody knows and without that = no classic.
Even the Synchronar will only be put on that list by the digital watch savants under watch idiot savants.
´Design oder nicht sein´

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post09 Aug 2011, 18:14

I bumped into a young guy(21-220 while taking my daughter on a college tour who is a big fan of Philippe Stark. Some of those designs are a bit iconic and may conjure fond memories in those 20-somethings, a few decades from now. The Junghan's RC watches are quite stylish; although, I am quite alarmed at their weight, particularly when fitted with a metal band. My biggest complain with the Majestyk was it's size and weight...I a fairly big, strong guy, but once you get over the half century mark, you start to ponder when & why you would intentionally wear 5+ ounces of bulky steel on your wrist. I have a Junghans Tondo Mega Dress watch that is RC, with leather band....60 grams. It should last forever, considering I wear it "maybe" once/twice a month. Runs 5-6 seconds slow a month if prevented from synching. But it won't be iconic either - too plain, looks like many watches of past eras.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

digibloke

Wizard

Wizard

Post09 Aug 2011, 23:36

I think that the trendy young things in my office will be scouring ebay in 20 years time looking for Nixon Dorks and day-glo Casio F-91w's because by the time they're 40 the ones they're wearing now will be long gone and they'll be hoping to get their mojo back by finding a replacement ;-) .

As for iconic - It's got to be be something groundbreaking and so far as watches are concerned there can't be that much ground left to be broken. Perhaps something that runs on air with a teleport function ;-) .

Huertecilla

Wizard

Wizard

Re: : Future classics?

Post09 Aug 2011, 23:46

digibloke wrote:I think that the trendy young things in my office will be scouring ebay in 20 years time looking for Nixon Dorks and day-glo Casio F-91w's because by the time they're 40 the ones they're wearing now will be long gone and they'll be hoping to get their mojo back by finding a replacement ;-) ..

The F-91Ws are classic already; trendy young things áre wearing those and the one in ´gold´ has been HIGHLY fashionable for over a year now. They even were unobtainable scarce some 9 months ago.
There is nóóó sign of Casio even thínking of stopping production as they are selling bigger time than ever, so there will só many about that they will be in ample supply for the nexy century :-P
We have well over a dozen in all colours, one on a ´Nato´strap and even an oil filled one, in the household. Ah, and the ´golden´ one ofcourse; obtained when they were unobtainable so the wife is stíll happy with my watch hobby because of that :mrgreen:
I think there are more of these watches than there are inhabitants in our village M:)W:)M
´Design oder nicht sein´

Return to Reviews and latest Acquisitions