It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 23:57

Interesting L.E.D New collection additions

Present your latest purchases, talk about pro + cons or write an interesting review!
  • Author

funkyguy

Wizard

Wizard

Interesting L.E.D New collection additions

Post11 May 2011, 17:35

Hi all

I thought i would share some of my new collection additions.
apart from these listed , there areseveral more models to come, all functioning.pictures to follow.

1.BULER, fat looking european l.e.d model with "face off" style battery replacement.
ImageImage

2.UNKNOWN rare never seen before european drivers ( not marked mido, pontiac,jaz etc) note the slopped design to the case.
ImageImage

3.RADO l.e.d,lovely odd faceted clear front crystal.
ImageImage

4.GP drivers gold & SS plus two fully branded/stamped GP models.
ImageImage
Any extra info on these models is always great to know.

FUNKYGUY
Funkguy

bucko170

Guru

Guru

: Interesting L.E.D New collection additions

Post11 May 2011, 17:49

Superb new additions FunkyGuy 8-)

I really like the GP collection, now I understand why you where after the Macrolon version........I wouldn't think there are many complete collections out there!

Can't wait to see the rest!

Do you clean up the watches yourself?

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post11 May 2011, 18:11

I'm disturbed by the two non-driver "GP"s. Sorry to be a detractor, but why would GP use a different font than all their other watches of that era and a different interaction between the two letters? To me, close examination of the letters on the two non-drivers shows a very different letter interaction - look at the horizontal line of the "G", much longer on one than the other. And the upper "lip"/curve of the one on the left overhangs the vertical line of the P quite further than the one on right. Finally, I am thinking the sharp interior edge of the emblem on both looks like the work of micro-tool engraving or laser cutting - none of the reasonably available technologies at the time created quite that same look. It's real subtle but different. ...hopefully you keep them forever . :lol:

*I have seen both of those pieces in clearer shots.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

funkyguy

Wizard

Wizard

Re: : Interesting L.E.D New collection additions

Post11 May 2011, 18:28

retroleds wrote:I'm disturbed by the two non-driver "GP"s. Sorry to be a detractor, but why would GP use a different font than all their other watches of that era and a different interaction between the two letters? To me, close examination of the letters on the two non-drivers shows a very different letter interaction - look at the horizontal line of the "G", much longer on one than the other. And the upper "lip"/curve of the one on the left overhangs the vertical line of the P quite further than the one on right. Finally, I am thinking the sharp interior edge of the emblem on both looks like the work of micro-tool engraving or laser cutting - none of the reasonably available technologies at the time created quite that same look. It's real subtle but different. ...hopefully you keep them forever . :lol:

Thanks for the input retro, argee to disagree i fear.lol
In my and others opinion these are indeed GP items.
check out the packaging.check out the logo mentioned.
(thanks to peter wenzigs site)

FUNKYGUY
Funkguy

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

Post11 May 2011, 18:35

Exellent additions to your already impressive collection Funkyguy.
And look at all those GP's! You show off! :-D

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post11 May 2011, 18:38

IIRC this has been discussed before and I became convinced that the questioned 2 are indeed GPs.

The SS Casquette looks like it's in perfect condition - very nice 8-)

BTW for convenience here direct image links without all the imageshack stuff around them:
Image Image

Edit: older threads about this topic:
http://dwf.nu/viewtopic.php?t=4082&highlight=girard+perregaux
http://dwf.nu/viewtopic.php?t=3186&highlight=girard+perregaux
http://dwf.nu/viewtopic.php?t=2331&highlight=girard+perregaux
Last edited by rewolf on 11 May 2011, 18:45, edited 1 time in total.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post11 May 2011, 18:43

I agree - let's disagree, nicely.

Now, I'm thinking the box is even more of a sign of mischief. It is really inconceivable that a fine outfit like Girard-Perregaux would put that GP emblem on their box, in such a drastically different font as the full name directly above. I've had that box style in hand and it has never been marked that way(which proves absolutely nothing, but explains another part of my resist to being assimilated :-) ). The real GP emblem is a formalized/mechanized version of a human writing those letters - it is accomplished in one continuous line/stroke, the pen is never lifted from the paper. In your other GP marked items those letters are two separate, distinct entities, contrary to the entire spirit in which the two families joined forces. It's not just art or advertising, it is part of horological history. History which was still being strictly observed at that time. :-?
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

funkyguy

Wizard

Wizard

Post11 May 2011, 18:45

logo & branded back covers close up pictures of GP non drivers.

FUNKYGUY.
ImageImageImage
Funkguy

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post11 May 2011, 18:49

They also look pretty convincing to me, IIRC from the previous thread the module is also stamped GP.

I do think they are a little uninspiring in comparison to the Casquete.

Good link to the Photo's Rewolf, much better.

funkyguy

Wizard

Wizard

Post11 May 2011, 18:56

bucko170 wrote:I do think they are a little uninspiring in comparison to the Casquete.

Your right bucko, "DEAD DULL" i would say, but iam trying to have the entire GP digital watch output in my colllection.i better start saving up for the Macrolon.lol
Funkguy

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post11 May 2011, 19:04

Can I ask something we could never get out of the seller of the stainless one - can we see a nice clean shot of the buttons and the insides?
It appears the picture of the box is from Peter's site, not your actual box?. Or did you buy Peter's? Just asking to get a rough count on the # in the wild.

Then there's the G|P on the inside of the one back, even odder. I have two GP quartzs from late '70- early '80s with press on backs. :-? And those backs are so differnt from each other. Sorry, I suppose I am getting a bit J :-) FF on this topic - if you guys think they are real I'll sit down and stop rocking the boat. Just think, an item I will never bid on if one comes up on ebay. :mrgreen:

The previous topic on the round-faced one.
http://www.dwf.nu/viewtopic.php?t=4082& ... highlight=

funkyguy

Wizard

Wizard

Post11 May 2011, 19:06

bucko170 wrote:
Do you clean up the watches yourself?

No. only the gold tone GP non drivers, i polished the crystal, it still has some digs.
The Buler, GP/ss, & Unknown Euro driver were all near mint.
I had to replace: Buler module(hh)Rado module(nsc)

FG
Funkguy

funkyguy

Wizard

Wizard

Post11 May 2011, 19:24

retroleds wrote:Can I ask something we could never get out of the seller of the stainless one - can we see a nice clean shot of the buttons and the insides?
It appears the picture of the box is from Peter's site, not your actual box?. Or did you buy Peter's? Just asking to get a rough count on the # in the wild.

Then there's the G|P on the inside of the one back, even odder. I have two GP quartzs from late '70- early '80s with press on backs. :-? And those backs are so differnt from each other. Sorry, I suppose I am getting a bit J :-) FF on this topic - if you guys think they are real I'll sit down and stop rocking the boat. Just think, an item I will never bid on if one comes up on ebay.

yer sure here are the pictures.and no, i didnt buy peters.
cheers FG
ImageImageImage
Funkguy

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post11 May 2011, 19:45

london_funk wrote: no, i didnt buy peters.
cheers FG
I meant the box....it appears you are showing the identical picture that Peter had on his site. Is the upright picture of the inner box(in this thread) a picture of your actual box? That was the question. Sorry.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post11 May 2011, 19:47

london_funk wrote: Your right bucko, "DEAD DULL" i would say

Still a great collection to have. :-D

retroleds wrote: if you guys think they are real I'll sit down and stop rocking the boat.

I think they look pretty convincing.......real?.... I Dunno!
It just strikes me as a little elaborate to go to all the trouble of marking the cases, the modules and case backs plus making the instructions, boxes etc just for a couple of watches.

funkyguy

Wizard

Wizard

Post11 May 2011, 19:50

retroleds wrote:
london_funk wrote: no, i didnt buy peters.
cheers FG
I meant the box....it appears you are showing the identical picture that Peter had on his site. Is the upright picture of the inner box(in this thread) a picture of your actual box? That was the question. Sorry.

no, the box is peters , i put up the picture to make the point regarding the use of GP logo on packaging etc .i dont have a box for mine.

cheers
FG
Funkguy

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post11 May 2011, 20:14

The count seems to be at one in the wild(box & paper). I know I bought my first SCSI scanner in 1995 - I could have made the paperwork at any time since.

:idea: GP could have had Ross & Hughes or any number of manufacturers knock them out a much nicer item, by late 1973 - early 1974. If they had felt the need to have a stop-gap item while working on their driver watch. :-?

jones38

Nerd

Nerd

Re: Interesting L.E.D New collection additions

Post07 Jun 2011, 16:40

london_funk wrote:Hi all

I thought i would share some of my new collection additions.
apart from these listed , there areseveral more models to come, all functioning.pictures to follow.

1.BULER, fat looking european l.e.d model with "face off" style battery replacement.
ImageImage

2.UNKNOWN rare never seen before european drivers ( not marked mido, pontiac,jaz etc) note the slopped design to the case.
ImageImage

3.RADO l.e.d,lovely odd faceted clear front crystal.
ImageImage

4.GP drivers gold & SS plus two fully branded/stamped GP models.
ImageImage
Any extra info on these models is always great to know.

FUNKYGUY

wow. the unknown one is quite unique. Any idea of the maker?

funkyguy

Wizard

Wizard

Re: Interesting L.E.D New collection additions

Post06 Sep 2011, 20:14

Hi all
maybe of some interest to someone,
the unknown watch listed /pictured. (drivers l.e.d watch)
i have now discovered is a "derby swissonic"
chatted to the peter wenzig resently and he mentioned he has a SS version of the same watch.
pictured at the bottom of page.

ImageImage

picture courtesy peter wenzig collection
Funkguy

Return to Reviews and latest Acquisitions