It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 22:49

Completely Gratuitous (Pulsar P2 Pix)

Present your latest purchases, talk about pro + cons or write an interesting review!
  • Author

abem

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Completely Gratuitous (Pulsar P2 Pix)

Post27 Aug 2011, 07:50

Woo hoo... Pulsar P2. Happy birthday to me... gonna party like it's 1973.

Sorry, no information content here. Just wanted to share my joy over a new P2 which I've been wanting for ages and ages.

-abe.
Last edited by abem on 30 Aug 2011, 01:39, edited 1 time in total.

charger105

Guru

Guru

: Completely Gratuitous

Post27 Aug 2011, 12:52

Nice P2 Abe. One of my favourite models. I think the gold P3 beats it for me though.
That's a shame about losing your P1 filter. At least it was only plastic. On the positive side, it's now a good opportunity to put a saphire/minerlaite glass one in though. I'm sure Bruce could point you in the right direction if he already hasn't. The original ones had some sort of coating on them. I'm sure that'd be difficult to replicate.

You're a patient man with that module Abe. I don't think I'd have your patience (so it's probably a good thing I don't own it :-D ). Definitely best to take your time and give it every chance to work once more.

Rgds,
Andrew.

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

Post29 Aug 2011, 18:11

That's a beauty of a P2 Abe. This is my favorite Pulsar model, so I'm extra happy for you. I have 2 working P2s, one SS and one Goldfill, but neither are in such pristine condition as yours. Congrats and Happy B-day. :-)

abem

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post29 Aug 2011, 21:39

Choosing a favorite Pulsar is a bit like what choosing a favorite child must be like - impossible. Like you, LEDLuvr, I have become attached to the P2. I like the simplicity of the design and I find the single button with the time only to be endearing in an odd sort of way. The P2 wears its history / provenance on its sleeve, so to speak.

Andrew - I've been talking to Bruce about the time screen / filter issue. The original saleman's screen was simply red acrylic with no special treatment. There was actually a little piece of blue green acetate (which I still have) that was slipped in behind the red filter to tweak the filter color. I was originally hoping to do a P1-P2-P3-P4 lineup photo, but since I can't do that yet, how 'bout a P2-Fossil comparison?

At first glance, they don't look too different. The Pulsar's obviously a bit more curvy but from across the room they look pretty similar:

However, as soon as you hold them, the difference in the case and bracelet quality becomes clear. The fossil is clunky, it has those nasty poky buttons, it's a more boxy shape, the bracelet does not have crisp edges like the Pulsar, the stainless is less bright, it has a press-on case back instead of a screw back / case ring, and the acrylic time screen is dark red and doesn't let through those nice little glints of red like the Pulsar's mineral glass.

One you press the buttons, the difference becomes even more apparent:

The Fossil has tiny little digits, under magnifying lenses so you can't see the from an angle, no seconds, and the time and date only stay on as long as you keep the button pressed.

If you didn't have a nicer LED watch, you'd probably be pretty happy with the Fossil. Side by side with a P2, though...

-abe.

Return to Reviews and latest Acquisitions