It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 18:48

My first LED!

Present your latest purchases, talk about pro + cons or write an interesting review!
  • Author

tikan

My first LED!

Post18 Dec 2011, 05:07

I'm hooked! :mrgreen:

abem

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

: My first LED!

Post18 Dec 2011, 08:11

Nice photo (nice watch too!). I like how the displays on these Hughes modules are made up of little square dots / pixels.

These sorts of forum posts always seem a bit like an introduction at an AA meeting: "Hi, my name is __ and I'm addicted to LED watches." Welcome to the group. It's a completely ridiculous obsession, you must admit. I mean, LED watches don't actually DO a whole lot and they're not even available on all that many styles or colors. However, some people seem inexplicably drawn to them. There are two main competing theories as to the cause: nature and nurture.

1) Nature: the "magpie" effect
You may be able to blame your obsession on biology. Are you easily distracted by bright, shiny things? Were you obsessed with Christmas lights, lasers, etc. as a child? You are probably prone to the so-called "magpie effect" - the tendency for certain birds (and humans) to be helplessly attracted to shiny things. For example, many birds will incorporate tinsel into a nest if they run across it or peck endlessly at shiny objects. The phrase "magpie effect" has also come to mean a tendency to hoard small objects, but I have always understood it to refer specifically to bright, shiny things.

2) Nurture / Nostalgia:
If you are 40 something years old or thereabouts, then you may have been given an LED watch as a child, most likely a plastic watch from Texas Instruments. For this population, the bright red digits evokes a feeling of childhood and the associated optimism of the future that came from growing up in the post Apollo years, watching Star Trek, waiting with anticipation for your turn to ride on the Space Shuttle and generally dreaming about how awesome the future would be.

So, yeah, it's a silly infatuation, collecting these shiny little gadgets, but you might as well embrace it rather than trying to justify or make sense of it.

-abe.

Brendan

Nerd

Nerd

Re: My first LED!

Post16 Mar 2012, 07:23

When I was 11, I saved my paper route money for 3 months to buy a Quasar (I think that's what it was).
$49.95 was a lot of dough in 1976 ! :eek:

70's_gal

Geek

Geek

Post20 Apr 2012, 02:08

Nice watch, tikan!

Brendan wrote:When I was 11, I saved my paper route money for 3 months to buy a Quasar (I think that's what it was).
$49.95 was a lot of dough in 1976 ! :eek:

LOL. I did the same thing. My first LED was a Birks brand, National Semiconductor powered 3-function watch, the first one sold in my city. I saved up my paper route money, and waited breathlessly at the Birks Jewellers store until opening time on the day of the launch. I still have that watch (although it's on it's third module). $89.95 + tax!

I should post a pic..

~Sherry.
Too many watches, not enough wrists... ;-)

retrowrist

Wizard

Wizard

Post20 Apr 2012, 03:04

I was never given an LED watch for Christmas, not sure why. I still remember a kid from Catholic School in CA, showing me his new round faced LED (Texas Instruments - Not sure what model, but w/black leather strap) showing me this watch stating, "it's called a DIGITAL watch!" Man, I was soooooooo fascinated by that thing, I could not even believe it. I thought to myself, "there is no telling what I could accomplish if I had a watch like that!" Years later, a kid showed me a TI Start Wars watch, and that was really kool to.

I finally did get a generic brand LCD watch w/ a Spidel strap, but I am not sure what brand it was. It had to be in at least in 77 or 78 because it had on of the "alarm grills" you see on the alarm style watches. I remember the night "after" Christmas I stayed up until 12:00am to hear the alarm go off as I set it for 12:00 only to find that it was actually set for 12:00pm PST. I was such a looser back then, but not too much any longer!

Anyway,

- Patrick

Return to Reviews and latest Acquisitions