It is currently 15 May 2024, 10:13

say Hi to my Sunwatch

Present your latest purchases, talk about pro + cons or write an interesting review!
  • Author

Phasar66

Wizard

Wizard

say Hi to my Sunwatch

Post10 Nov 2012, 05:01

The Idea of ever having a Synchronar looked too far, I never saw one in person before or had an idea if I will like it, I read mixed reviews about it. some said great things and others said it was nothing special. I saw this on Ebay and the seller never got his asking buy not price, He lowered down to the going market value and at the last minute I buy it. I have not regreats, I love this watch. It works perfect and the display is very bright, it has the line display. the watch was rebuilt a some point because is not potted and there is a tiny hole on the case behind the strap when it was opened. Still learning about this watch I went on the forum and ended on a link with setting instructions, is also easy to set.
Mr. Riehl I bow to you for creating this wonderful watch.
;-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Re: say Hi to my Sunwatch

Post10 Nov 2012, 10:51

Looks nice with a black case 8-)

Phasar66

Wizard

Wizard

Post10 Nov 2012, 18:46

bucko170 wrote:Looks nice with a black case 8-)

I find out later it has the SASM80 module and going thru the aditional features trying to set it to 24h it just died on me, I hope is just the battreies that were deplated. Is facing the sun at this time to get it charge, I'm crosing my fingers. I was playing a lot with the display. Anobody as a Sunwatch with a SASM80, if so,. what is your experience. does it take a long time for the batteries to get charge, does the display comes up after the battereis are fully charge.

clockace

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post11 Nov 2012, 18:19

i do a quick charge on mine with a desk lamp. 100 watt incandescent bulb no closer than 12 inches for maybe 45 minutes. from then on just wear it. if you are out and about in daylight hrs it should have a full charge in a day or so, unless you are excessively acticating the display. peter

vpn

Wizard

Wizard

Post11 Nov 2012, 19:59

Amazing catch Phasar, congrats! And the black case looks even more futuristic. You've been very lucky with this catch! :-D
Image Image

Phasar66

Wizard

Wizard

Post11 Nov 2012, 22:11

vpn wrote:Amazing catch Phasar, congrats! And the black case looks even more futuristic. You've been very lucky with this catch! :-D

Thanks vpn, Is really a nice looking watch out of this world, It wasn't in this shape, even that the seller seid it was in super condition it wasn't , the top face had scratches and the black paint was retouched on some spots, I polished the top to a flat and perfect surface, It came real nice, then strip the paint and aplied a coat of black epoxy paint which contains some kind of ceramic, then cure in the oven a 400 degrees F, this paint is used to paint brake calipers and resist quemicals and high temperatures and doesn't peel off. I really like the results.

BENRUS

Wizard

Wizard

Post13 Nov 2012, 22:23

Phasar66 wrote:

I find out later it has the SASM80 module and going thru the aditional features trying to set it to 24h it just died on me, I hope is just the battreies that were deplated. Is facing the sun at this time to get it charge, I'm crosing my fingers. I was playing a lot with the display. Anobody as a Sunwatch with a SASM80, if so,. what is your experience. does it take a long time for the batteries to get charge, does the display comes up after the battereis are fully charge.

My SASM80/Synchronar sits in a glass-topped display case when not in use (gets daily natural light), and when I do wear it...I give it as much light as possible. After reading this, and after seeing this auction last night: http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-VINTAGE-SY ... 4d06d6f738
I decided to wear my watch today...Flashed 2 dash marks in middle area of display...Then nothing, Dead. I have been giving it direct light all day so far while out in the sun, and currently have it in safe range of a 100watt bulb...But still shows nothing.
My original (approx.) 1977 MK3 module with its original dead (non-Charging) batteries pulled up a partial digit or 2 in direct light, or within range of a bulb...This watch does noting?...Possibly the solar function is not working properly :-?
I will keep charging, and report back.

How is your watch doing?

Phasar66

Wizard

Wizard

Post14 Nov 2012, 04:38

BENRUS wrote:
Phasar66 wrote:

My SASM80/Synchronar sits in a glass-topped display case when not in use (gets daily natural light), and when I do wear it...I give it as much light as possible. After reading this, and after seeing this auction last night: http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-VINTAGE-SY ... 4d06d6f738
I decided to wear my watch today...Flashed 2 dash marks in middle area of display...Then nothing, Dead. I have been giving it direct light all day so far while out in the sun, and currently have it in safe range of a 100watt bulb...But still shows nothing.
My original (approx.) 1977 MK3 module with its original dead (non-Charging) batteries pulled up a partial digit or 2 in direct light, or within range of a bulb...This watch does noting?...Possibly the solar function is not working properly :-?
I will keep charging, and report back.

How is your watch doing?

Still dead as a door nail, Been charging it for 3 days already and nothing.

charger105

Guru

Guru

Post14 Nov 2012, 08:37

Sounds like the charging circuit may have failed somewhere.
I've found on the SASM80s that they charge differently to original MkIII modules. It seems to have some sort of 'smart' charging feature. On the original module, you'll measure about 3V at the battery terminals under bright light with the batteries disconnected. In other words, the entire solar cell voltage (minus a diode drop) is simply presented to the batteries.

On the SASM80, if you do the same, you measure bugger-all (maybe 1.3V or something). I think the module will gradually increase the voltage presented to the batteries, based on the current voltage of the batteries. It makes it difficult to verify that the charging circuit is actually working. To check this, I measure the current voltage of the batteries (say 2.55V) leave it under a bright light, and then come back in an hour. If it's gone up to say 2.65V, then it's charging. In another hour if it's gone up again, then you can be confident it is charging.

However there may be a minimum voltage required for this charging circuit to work. I could be wrong on this though. Hanno will be able to confirm.

Getting back to your problem, one of the fine wires that connect the solar cell to the board may have broken. Of course you'll have to open it up to check this. Hanno only selas them up with silicon I believe, so it shouldn't be too much of an issue. Be careful of the display if you do open it though..........it might be an open wire-bonded display.

Hanno does have warranty on his modules. So if it's still under warranty, just return it to him.
Rgds,
Andrew.

Phasar66

Wizard

Wizard

Post15 Nov 2012, 07:08

I went ahead and opened the case to check the state of the batteries and found that they leaked and voltage was very low, 1.6v. You were right about the ouput of the PV it was only 1.3v so I think they work and the problem is the batteries, It has the Varta size40 . I clean the batteries with mild acid and did a quick charge outside the case with my battery pack of 4.5v. I don't thing I hurt anything, of course batteries were disconected from the module, they are holding charge for now but think they are no longer good, I will ask Hanno for replacements. The reason I opened was because Hanno always says the problem is somewhere else most of the time, I guess He knows his modules well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SASM

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post15 Nov 2012, 08:51

Just saw this posting. Yes, every company says the problem lies anywhere else, right? :mrgreen: Well I try to figure out what can be done by the customer to avoid overseas shipping. That´s an advantage for both parties...

The circuit itself is very solid, the old components are not. I regret the use of the original solar cell on my movements as your watch is not the first synchronar which has empty batteries. You can do an easy test if your watch is still charging: Remove the module as you did and hold the module (without batteries) in direct sunlight. Meassure at the battery connections: Your DMM should read between 3.4 to 4V depending on the solar cell. If so, the module is OK.

It should charge much better than the old one because of the use of LS-diodes instead of standard silicium diodes (voltage drop is 0.3V instead of 0.7V). Since the introduction of the SASM17/27 I´ve change the microcontroller to a newer one, so that the voltage needed to operate the module is lower. This has been a big improvement as I had no returns of the whole new series yet.

egomon

Techie

Techie

Post15 Nov 2012, 11:02

Hi.
Regarding to "new old stock" solar sells, I have build about 30 synchronar/sunwatches and non have had problems due to old parts!!

SASM

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post15 Nov 2012, 13:14

Regarding NOS parts maybe, but 90% are running with a used cell which had to be removed from the old board. Plenty of these have been exposed to battery leakage etc. Moreover how do you want to know if the watches are still running? I mean I haven´t converted these watches last month...

BENRUS

Wizard

Wizard

Post15 Nov 2012, 17:21

Well, after opening mine:

CLICK ON PICTURES TO SEE VIDEO

Looks like mine is pulling just over 1v with everything connected as it should be, But I do not want to tamper with removal of soldered leads to test solar cell alone...I'll just send it back to Hanno.

Phasar66

Wizard

Wizard

Post16 Nov 2012, 08:19

As I thought, the batteries are not good and need to be replace, The charge lasted very little then the watch died, letting the watch under the sun did nothing, I still have to check the PV output under the sun to see if I get the over 3v.with batteries disconected like Hanno said. Checking with batteries conected under strong incandescent light pulls just 1.3v,is that right, I find replacement batteries on Ebay like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/190748515454?ss ... 1497.l2649 for a very good price if the batteries are the only problem that will be an easy fix, if there is a need for a new sollar cell then I going to need some help on that. I think Benrus has the same problem that I have, I believe that the movement is a good one and wonder if by soldering the conections directly on the battery the heat compromises the seals which are plastic. another question, the batteries are 1.2 v each http://www.varta-microbattery.com/appli ... S55604.PDF so the module work with 2.4 v. not 3v?

clockace

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post17 Nov 2012, 04:16

i can't get the video to load now, but i did earlier and i thought i saw a v40 paired with a v80. maybe not, but if that is the way it is laid out the v40 will deplete sooner than the v80. i was always told to pair the cells. i have a mkII with 2x v40's and it has been running now for almost 4 years with no problems. my 2cents. peter

Phasar66

Wizard

Wizard

Post17 Nov 2012, 10:33

I saw the video and I'm sure there is a V40H Paired with a V80H . sounds like having the power of 3 V40H s is a good idea, will there be a conflict between them. I will like to have the bigger ones on my black bottom Sunwatch but I can see that there is only space for one becacuse on the other cavity the IC is on the way. I checked PV output on my Sunwatch and is pulling 3.4v on bright sunlight, that is great. I only need new batteries so I can wear my watch, cells are on the way from a U.S. vendor. to my surprise there are power packs built araund this batteries and are inexpensive.

clockace

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post17 Nov 2012, 23:12

i think 3xv40nimh may be too much. while rated at 1.5v these cells are really 1.2v two together equal 2.4v. that should be enough to run your watch. the sc seems to be ok at 3.4v in bright sunlight. mismatched cells create a different amp/hr situation i believe. it would be like loading your flashlight with a "D" cell and a "AAA" cell. if hanno has created a board that uses less energy than the original by roger riehl he should be able to use 2xv40s. you really should get solder tabs spot welded to the cells. i got that done at batteries +. hope i don't get flamed over this. peter

Return to Reviews and latest Acquisitions