It is currently 09 May 2024, 06:56

Seiko 0532-5009 - Face Lift

Present your latest purchases, talk about pro + cons or write an interesting review!
  • Author

retrowrist

Wizard

Wizard

Seiko 0532-5009 - Face Lift

Post01 Apr 2013, 00:48

Hello,

I found this Seiko 0532A Caliber on eBay a few days ago, and thought I could do something good with it while I was on break.

It was pretty much a "Hockey Puck!"

When I received it, the setting retractor was not contacting the "setting spring", as a result, I was unable to "set" the watch at all. I opened the back and had a look, and was able to set the watch manually with a screwdriver. What I ended up doing to permanently fix the setting retractor was wedging a piece if thin toothpick between the retractor and the setting spring, and this allowed the retractor to get "good" contact with the stetting spring, and allow the watch to advance when changing the "Hour", "Min", "Month", "Day". Sorry, no pictures of the mechanical work. :-(

Here is the finished product...

Not as good as the Seiko 0634-5000 that "Phasar66" showed us (Stunning I would say), but it is pretty descent considering the condition it was in. I polished to a mirror look because I was not totally sure if this watch model (0532-5009) had a satin finish or a polished finish on the case and band. If you know, please let me know.

Anyway, I learned my technique from Phasar66, Bruce Weggman, and Ed, thanks for looking.

- Patrick

Phasar66

Wizard

Wizard

Re: Seiko 0532-5009 - Face Lift

Post01 Apr 2013, 04:53

Man, that watch really was beat up to start. Looks nice but I see room for improvement. don't get me wrong it looks a lot better than what you started with but is valid to go back and redoit again, I done it many times up to 3 times untill I got it right. I reccomend block sanding then polishing and get the satin finish proper to this watch. Is a nice watch and is worth it. Cheers. Ismael :-D

Seiko&Casio Lcd's

Wizard

Wizard

Re: Seiko 0532-5009 - Face Lift

Post01 Apr 2013, 15:03

I was not totally sure if this watch model (0532-5009) had a satin finish or a polished finish on the case and band.

It's a lot nicer considering the condition it was in. ;-)
Maybe these links will help determine what finish this watch needs.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/78440/th ... 3B%26gt%3B

http://www.ebay.es/itm/LOT-OF-2-SEIKO-Q ... 0606557700

Return to Reviews and latest Acquisitions