It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 10:21

Incoming Seiko lcd grail :)

Present your latest purchases, talk about pro + cons or write an interesting review!
  • Author

dutchsiberia

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Incoming Seiko lcd grail :)

Post21 Apr 2013, 22:02

I just have to make it work again :)

Phasar66

Wizard

Wizard

Re: Incoming Seiko lcd grail :)

Post21 Apr 2013, 22:24

This is a nice one, not luck finding one up to this date but I'm optimistic. Here is one selling on Ebay which I think has the same module but with the silver reflector
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-SEIKO-L ... 51ab8f3edb

Cheers. Ismael.

dutchsiberia

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post21 Apr 2013, 22:40

I just won this one on ebay!
Thank you for the link, but that's a newer seiko with a different module.

retrowrist

Wizard

Wizard

Post21 Apr 2013, 22:52

I saw this one, and I watched it for several days. I would not try bidding on this one because of the hardships I have had with these modules. Just look at the description...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QUOTE:
I put a new battery in and the display showed faint numbers that came and went so I imagine there is a bad contact somewhere
The light works fine.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, aside from the light working, you will need to open the case, and look at the module inside. If the segments are lighting up faintly, it could just be a low power battery not lighting up the segments fully, but, usually, the light does NOT work when the battery is low. It could also be a corrosion issue, or it could be a poor contact with the IC terminals. The seller also states that there is a chip in the crystal. I don't mind scratches, but smoothing out crystals chips is a big pain. The case and band are very nice condition, but I would rather have a scratched crystal and scratch band, case that is fully working, and restore it, than to put the 186.00 USD on a watch that may not work at all. Then again, you may have a spare module, and it is all a mute point.

I have never won a 0624-5009, and would love having one, but I will have to wait I guess. :-(

TO Phasar66

This is a nice one, not luck finding one up to this date but I'm optimistic. Here is one selling on Ebay which I think has the same module but with the silver reflector
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-SEIKO-L ... 51ab8f3edb

It is not the same module. The 0662A is a closer match, but it does not even have the "diamond" shaped colon that divides the hour and minute segments. I have about 3 0662 modules, and only 1 works. although they are a robust module, the "setting" function is the fist thing to go with them, and I am sure it is the same with the 0624 module as well.

- Patrick
Last edited by retrowrist on 22 Apr 2013, 21:19, edited 1 time in total.

Phasar66

Wizard

Wizard

Post21 Apr 2013, 23:10

Thanks Patrick. I'm new to Seikos I have about 5 and to my experience I seen a few with problems that look like bad electrical contacts or problems with the setting crown and later turn out to be just plain failure of the circuit board the IC or something else. I have a feeling the way the light and chronometer works is switched electronically and that fails somehow There is a component on the circuit board which I think is the culprid. The simtoms are: fading of the display when switching modes, Light stay on and goes of f by presing the crown all the way in. display going blank then returning after a few minutes. Any comments?

retrowrist

Wizard

Wizard

Post22 Apr 2013, 03:03

Phasar66 wrote:Thanks Patrick. I'm new to Seikos I have about 5 and to my experience I seen a few with problems that look like bad electrical contacts or problems with the setting crown and later turn out to be just plain failure of the circuit board the IC or something else. I have a feeling the way the light and chronometer works is switched electronically and that fails somehow There is a component on the circuit board which I think is the culprid. The simtoms are: fading of the display when switching modes, Light stay on and goes of f by presing the crown all the way in. display going blank then returning after a few minutes. Any comments?

Hi,

It sounds like a short-cut if the screen dims in and out like that. Sounds similar to a problem I had with a Seiko I have ( 0139-5019) recently worked on. The screen just disappears completely after 10 min or so. I took the whole MOS IC apart, and clean it (isoprovil Alcohol) despite the fact that the watch IC was very clean, only to find that nothing worked. In you case where the light goes off by pressing the crown is other functions are grabbing the current, and taking it away from the light function. Use a multimeter, and test the battery voltage. Even if the battery is new, the voltage may be wrong, in which case there is problem with a component on the MOS IC block as you suggested. Only if you can isolate the correct resistor to replace or re-solder a new one in. From what I have gathered, the Calc chip (the brain) usually does not go bad on the vintage Seikos. I probably could not find anything wrong with your watch either, as most of the IC boards I have repaired were ones that were glaringly obvious, like the setting levers (these are a BIG pain!).

It is almost better to just look around and see if you can find a NOS IC circuit and pop it in. Although you are paying $50.00 it makes you feel better that you have a new IC that will last 50+ yrs.

That is my comment :-) Hope you can find a solution.

- Patrick

SASM

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post22 Apr 2013, 07:00

Just in case if you donĀ“t get it working, I am interested in the watch (or the module).

Seiko&Casio Lcd's

Wizard

Wizard

Post22 Apr 2013, 21:07

These are very nice watches dutchsiberia, i hope you can get it working again ;-)

dutchsiberia

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post04 May 2013, 21:36

Yeah it's dead :sad:

I'll figure out what to do :scratch:

retrowrist

Wizard

Wizard

Post06 May 2013, 18:41

dutchsiberia wrote:Yeah it's dead :sad:

I'll figure out what to do :scratch:

Sometimes you need two dead ones to get One working one. Are you going to sell or keep? Another broke one could come around, and that one may have a good working module, and that would give you a working one. Can you tell us the symptoms of what the watch showed, and what you concluded?

If you sell, what is your price?

- Patrick

dutchsiberia

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post07 May 2013, 20:35

I'm inclined to keep it and patiently wait for another one :) After inserting a battery, it sometimes shows a quickly fading 12:00 and no light.

dutchsiberia

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post10 Sep 2013, 11:58

Would a 0662a module, using the 0624 lcd display fit?

Seiko&Casio Lcd's

Wizard

Wizard

Post10 Sep 2013, 14:52

It says in the service manual that it's the same as the 0624 ,except for the lcd panel, spring and frame.

Look here: http://www.digitalwatchlibrary.com/imag ... /0662A.pdf
(page 4)
I would say the modules are very similar, but and that's a big but, i don't know if the pinlayout of the 2 lcd panels (0624 and 0662) are the same, it could result in missing segment if the layout isn't correct, and then there's the question if the panels are the same size.
I bet old tom could shed a light on this better than i can.
So Old tom , We need you ;-)

retrowrist

Wizard

Wizard

Post10 Sep 2013, 18:28

Yes, it should be the same pin-outs. LCD size wise, I believe they are the same size. In theory, it should work fine because Seiko uses the 0624A manual for reference of the 0662A module. I thought of this module swap myself when you were deciding what to do with your "Grail" when you discovered the module was toast.

As shown above, the pin-outs should lay in the same field positioning using the 0662A module w/ the 0624 LCD Panel. Now, there were "two" variations of the 0624A LCD panels! So, this may cause an issue, but probably not. Please reference the following read...http://forum.pocketcalculatorshow.com/t ... 0857711088

Anyway, even if you get the watch working, using the 0662A module, it can NEVER be a true Seiko 0624-5009 watch, and you would want to let any buyer know of the module type if you ever intend on selling it. The value of the watch would never be the same. Now, you may not care about any of this, but as an eBay buyer, I like to know all details/history about a watch.

Anyway, just my input,

- Patrick

dutchsiberia

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post10 Sep 2013, 22:53

thanks for the valuable information :-) Regarding selling it, this watch will never leave me :-) I'll still be on the lookout for a 0624.

retrowrist

Wizard

Wizard

Post11 Sep 2013, 00:07

dutchsiberia wrote:thanks for the valuable information :-) Regarding selling it, this watch will never leave me :-) I'll still be on the lookout for a 0624.

The only problem I see where the Seiko 0624 LCD panel would have with the 0662A module, is the LCD panel springs. Both LCD panels use totally different springs!

- 0624A - Sopring-wings are out to use "push" out for pressure
- 0662A - Spring conforms around the LCD panel for better fit on the IC terminals

BE CAREFUL! I have ruined 2 LCD panels for the 0662A variety as the pressure it takes to seat the spring onto the module posts can rupture the LCD panel around the reservoir and contaminate the LCD panel ruining it. This is why you may want to use the 0624A's LCD panel spring, as it is not a high pressure fit like the 0662.

So, do you have a Seiko 0662A module? If so, can we see the pics of the working results in action or when completed?

Anyway, Please get back to us, I am eager to hear what happens.

- Patrick

dutchsiberia

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post11 Sep 2013, 14:28

I'll document my tinkering with photos of course :-) I hope to buy an NOS 0662a circuit and I'll use the 0624 display and spring.

Seiko&Casio Lcd's

Wizard

Wizard

Post12 Sep 2013, 12:30

Like retrowrist says, be carefull not to crack the lcd panel when installing the spring ~:(

dutchsiberia

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post29 Sep 2013, 13:31

check out my other thread :)

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=6723

Return to Reviews and latest Acquisitions