It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 02:13

Seiko A029 :)

Present your latest purchases, talk about pro + cons or write an interesting review!
  • Author

dutchsiberia

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Seiko A029 :)

Post17 Aug 2013, 18:15

I got this neat A029-5000 today. Bracelet is from the "parts box" e.g. "somewhere in my room"...

February 1978 :)

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Re: Seiko A029 :)

Post17 Aug 2013, 18:49

With an incredible good and loud alarm.
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

dutchsiberia

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post17 Aug 2013, 20:28

Very loud, especially if you wear it. Sound gets reflected somehow?

Seiko Kid

Wizard

Wizard

Post27 Aug 2013, 22:00

The case back acts as an amplifier for the speaker which is seated in a "case back stylesque" plate that fits before the actual case back. There is a small gap there between the 2 plates . For the first ever alarm watch, it really is a hard one to beat in volume.

My favourite is the A039

Ole Joe

Geek

Geek

Post28 Aug 2013, 00:13

Seiko Kid wrote:The case back acts as an amplifier for the speaker which is seated in a "case back stylesque" plate that fits before the actual case back. There is a small gap there between the 2 plates . For the first ever alarm watch, it really is a hard one to beat in volume. My favourite is the A039

I believe that Frontier Semiconductor was the first of all digital watch manufactures in producing an alarm watch. Frontier filed for patent rights in April of 1976. See this link for details;

http://www.patentgenius.com/patent/4068461.html (double click on the 4 drawings shown at the top of the page for enlargement)

When the patent was submitted in April of '76, alarm modules were already in production at the Newport Beach, Ca. facility. Prototypes of the alarm module existed in mid '75. Most every manufacture who produced an alarm watch thereafter violated Frontiers patented claims in some way. The actual patent was not granted until JANUARY of 1978.

Ole Joe

Seiko Kid

Wizard

Wizard

Post28 Aug 2013, 01:47

Well, I can only go off info learnt through forums like these and the internet.... .It wasent meant as a statement , just highlighting the great sound that came from thee or one of thee first ever alarm watches. And ever since then the digital watch alarm sound has got quieter

Are you related to this circuitry in some way?

Ole Joe

Geek

Geek

Post28 Aug 2013, 04:06

Hi Seiko,

I worked for Frontier and was part of the development team of the alarm watch.

Ole Joe

Seiko Kid

Wizard

Wizard

Post28 Aug 2013, 11:20

I've never heard of or come across a frontier before? What happened to your modules?

Do you have a working one you could maybe show us?

Ole Joe

Geek

Geek

Post28 Aug 2013, 16:43

Hello Seiko,

Frontier Semiconductor never really marketed complete watches under the Frontier brand name. I have seen pictures of one watch with the Frontier name on the face of the watch. Frontier management had one of our watch manufacturing customers make several hundred with the Frontier name on the watch. They did this at Christmas time one year so that employees could buy them at cost for themselves or as Christmas presents. Frontier supplied "modules" to numerous watch manufactures worldwide. We sold modules to both high end and low end watch manufactures. The same modules that went into an Omega, Hamilton, Breitling could also be found in an Amitron, Mercury, Lasko etc., with little difference. The "high" end manufactures required more environmental testing, ie., shake, rattle and roll of the modules they purchased. Omega supplied their own quartz crystals and plastic carrier rings to Frontier for manufacture of their modules, all other manufactures used modules designed by Frontier. I do not deal in complete watches, I just happen to have a bunch of NOS Frontier modules, so can't post any pictures of complete watches. I did a quick search and found pictures of a Mercury Alarm watch that is for sale on Ebay. Here's the link if interested;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCURY-Vintage ... 2c72088d26

Regards,

Ole Joe

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post28 Aug 2013, 17:35

thx Ole Joe for the extra info..thats why we all love old digital watches :-D
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

- Kasper -

Seiko Kid

Wizard

Wizard

Post28 Aug 2013, 18:53

Hey Joe,

Your historic knowledge is very interesting. Interesting to hear that Seiko possibly took something and claimed to have invented it?
Read somewhere that Seiko were using a USA company to make the LCD panels for their 06LC series too. Seems alot of "out of house" sourcing was done?

Did you just make 1 design module that had different fitments for the many watch brands or were there several MK's ? How many years were you in production for?

I would love to see a picture of these modules that you have.

Ole Joe

Geek

Geek

Post29 Aug 2013, 03:28

Hi Seiko,

I'm guessing here, but would think that maybe Seiko was the first watch manufacture to incorporate an alarm function into an LCD style digital watch, thus claiming the first to do so. Frontier completely missed the boat on the LCD phase of digital watches, to little to late. During the "good prosperous" years of the LED's, the company became passive while enjoying all the money that was being made from them. Suddenly, Texas Instruments jumped into the game and had LED digital watches, in plastic cases, hanging on racks at the cash register of every mom and pop store in the country, and at a ridiculous price of $9.95. At that time, the price of our modules had came down significantly over a couple of years but we were still getting well above $10.00/module when purchased in very large quantities. We just weren't prepared for that $9.95 watch hitting the market when it did. Texas Instruments are absolute "masters" at capturing just about any market they decide to indulge themselves in, very innovative group but also cut throat. At about the same time, the first LCD's begin appearing and we all knew what was about to happen, and it did. As you well know, watch manufactures are constantly looking for new innovative products, Frontier just didn't have anything too offer. A large number of people were given their walking papers, myself included, while a few were left to try an pull a rabbit out of the hat. Didn't work, a day late and a dollar short, thus the demise of Frontier Semiconductors sometime in late '77 or early '78. Frontier produced different type modules during it's life, the Frontier 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006 2007, 2015 and the last LED 2016. The 2001 & 2002 were five function modules indicating, hrs., min., sec., day, month while the 2005 added the day of the week alphanumerically. The 2006 was a chronograph but also used the 2005 for the real time functions. Same with the 2007 alarm, it also used the 2005 for the real time functions. The 2015 and 2016 were improvements of the 2005 and were used in some chronographs and alarms. The operation of the modules were identical when using the 2005, 2015 or the 2016, one couldn't tell the difference unless you knew which chip was used for the real time functions. Frontier was in existence from about '71 to '77 or '78. Not a very long time, but there was a TON of money made during that run. I might add that the company did share the spoils with the employees. One of my most enjoyable jobs in my 45 year career in the electronics business. I don't have any pictures of the modules I have at the time, will see if I can figure out how to get some and post in the future.

Ole Joe

Seiko Kid

Wizard

Wizard

Post29 Aug 2013, 13:04

Ah, I see now the confusion Im under here. Not being aware that there were alarm functions in LED watches I have said about Seiko being the first to produce an alarm - Which I understand now to be correct but in an LCD watch!

And as were in the LCD section of the forum I never thought twice about the LED side of the digital world

Im wondering Kasper, if there is a section for production information that Old Joes words can be stored against? Im sure some of those LED guys would be interested to hear this?

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post29 Aug 2013, 13:19

you,ve read my mind, as was thinking the same. I will see what i can do...thanks Ole Joe.

- Kasper -

Return to Reviews and latest Acquisitions