It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 10:43

Brothers in arms, excellent Seiko design

Present your latest purchases, talk about pro + cons or write an interesting review!
  • Author

elceedee

Wizard

Wizard

Brothers in arms, excellent Seiko design

Post30 Aug 2013, 00:55

Some of the early Seiko LCD's have a design that is timeless, sturdy and modern.

Some of those Seiko models are of the M154 line. A wide lcd panel and a big case;
I have been looking out for the Seiko M154-4018 (in the picture on the right, 1977), recently I found a good looking sample.
Shortly after finding the 4018 I ran into the M154-5009 (on the left,1978) with a white face and decided to get this one too

Both watches were in reasonable good condition, I didn't have to use fine sandpaper.
I restored the original brushes on both watch cases and bracelets to their original grain, the sides were polished with respect to the original shape of the watches. The pushers were polished. And off course all the parts were fully cleaned and all gaskets were lubricated before re-assembling.

I restored both watches tonight and as I still had the camera setup standing which I used for the Citizen post yesterday, I made a picture of both:

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Re: Brothers in arms, excellent Seiko design

Post31 Aug 2013, 14:15

2 incredible pieces...and nice work. This was one of the first watches i bought for collecting. a Gold toned one and the date started in 1970 and ended in 2007 if i remember it correctly :-D
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

retrowrist

Wizard

Wizard

Post02 Sep 2013, 00:13

Hi,

If you are restoring a case with not too many BIG dings in the Stainless Steel body, then yes, you can get a smooth satin Finnish, but all of mane were "Hockey Pucs" when I bought them, so if a watch has REAL HEAVY dings, then NO you cannot restore them to a Semi-Factory satin finish.

By the way, very very nice job :-).

- Patrick

retrowrist

Wizard

Wizard

Post04 Sep 2013, 00:04

I like the "gold" version of the M154-5009. This watch's shape is similar to that of the 0624-5009, as it has a smooth couture about it. I picked this watch up 3 yrs ago for about $80.00. Since that time the LCD has started bleeding and needs a replacement.

Nevertheless great watch for sure, and I love that stainless steel version even better :-)

- Patrick

elceedee

Wizard

Wizard

Post12 Sep 2013, 11:39

Hi Patrick,
Great watch, actually that model is on my search list now (in stainless steel) to complete the duo (to a trio)
Its just a little less 'slick' and more common then the 4018 which makes it more usefull as a non dress watch :)

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post12 Sep 2013, 13:05

i was just thinking..i have a gold toned one somewhere :-D but still have to put new batts in it.

Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

elceedee

Wizard

Wizard

Post20 Sep 2013, 04:24

That grey version is a beauty, never seen that colour on this model. Makes a perfect match with the stainless steel!

Return to Reviews and latest Acquisitions