It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 01:05

Omega Constellation LCD 1977

Present your latest purchases, talk about pro + cons or write an interesting review!
  • Author

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Omega Constellation LCD 1977

Post28 Jan 2014, 23:30

This just came in : Omega Constellation LCD 1977.
With only a production of 18 months with the 1620 caliber, this is really a remarkable watch. It weights 96 grams and has a strong massive semi flexible band.
Typically for vintage digi, the movements are exceptionally well made – this one even has a tiny circuit jumper to change the display from 12 to 24 hours.

Omega Constellation L.C.D. watch, first LCD watch made by Omega, permanent display of Hours, minutes, seconds or date. Stop watch with split function, light. cal 1620.

Omega LCDs were available in 6 different models, based on two case shapes and a number of dial types, gold or stainless steel etc. They were manufactured only for 1 year, in 1977 . The movement is an Omega cal. 1620 , developed by Omega and SSIH.

Time - Hours (12 or 24), Minutes and Seconds, and by a down-arrow Day of week
Time - Hours (12 or 24), Minutes and Date, as well as Day of week by the down arrow
1/100 second Chronograph, able to accumulate up to 23 hours 59 minutes and 59.99 seconds
Split Second Chronograph (as above)
Lap time
Split/stop of 2 consecutive times
Light source for illuminating the display at night, powered by a separate battery
Calendar programmed for leap years
@www.digitalwatches.de

This one is nearly mind condition and has a solid feel. The digits have a strong dark blue color and the light is very nice even spread over the whole display.
I'm impressed :-D
Enjoy the pics. :dwf:

the small star on the display means that the chrono is working.

can someone please tell me what language the second row daysletters is written in?
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

Adam

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Re: Omega Constellation LCD 1977

Post28 Jan 2014, 23:55

Great watch Kasper. Good photos too!

The letters are together, MO-monday, TU- Tuesday. Is that what you meant?

Adam
http://www.digital-watch.com - online database of 2000+ watches, manuals and adverts from the 70s-90s
http://www.vintagelcd.com - Vintage Digital Watches for sale

gjlelec

Wizard

Wizard

Post28 Jan 2014, 23:59

The second letters "o,u,e,h,r,a,u" are code."Omega understands everyday horology, Rolex are useless" Bienne are hoping Rolex dont twig it :eek:
Beautiful watch btw

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post29 Jan 2014, 00:12

OMG. .. I'm feeling like a beginner. ..I was so impressed by the watch it just didn't hit me. Unbelievable. M:)W:)M
I really have to slow down a bit. Taking way to much work on the last couple of weeks. .. I'm starting to get nuts :-D

We had an airline company called SABENA ... Such a bad experience never again :-D
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

- Kasper -

charger105

Guru

Guru

Post29 Jan 2014, 05:06

Love that particular model Kasper. I've got a few of them. Very well made.
The same basic case shape and bracelet as the Omega LED 1603.

I've got quite an unusual affection/sickness for all Omega LCDs ;-)
Here's a quick snapshot:

The 3 on the left are Constellations.
The 2 either side of the centre box, and the one to the lower left of the centre box, are Speedmasters.
The 2 octagonal shaped cases in the front row are Seamasters.
These 8 all use the 1620 module. So they all have the same functions. The names Omega used are really just a marketing ploy I think.
All of the watches function perfectly. Some are mint, some are good wearers.
The exception being the Memomasters. All 3 of them need new glass. I've got the speaker grill covers for 2 of them.

Enjoy !
Rgds.

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post29 Jan 2014, 09:55

Thats an impressive shot..very nice...My wife says when you have more then one of the same it's no hobby anymore..you are a freak :-D , i'm happy that i'm not alone.

2 left to collect : the middle boxed one and the octoshape one...i really like the octoshaped one...it look thinner and i have small wrists.
Btw you know i cut glass...i noticed that the writing is printed on the back of the glass :-( Is it the same with the other?

I was impressed by the weight of the watch...it doesn't look like it's a heavy watch.

- Kasper -

Adam

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post29 Jan 2014, 10:03

Charger you are the Omega man. What a collection.
Kasper I have the same problem. They have a graphic printed on the back and I think lettering etched into the glass(a bit like Seikos A156 solar battery). The crystals are very difficult to obtain. Mine weirdly has the correct crystal in with no printed graphic, probably the result of a leaking battery.

Adam
http://www.digital-watch.com - online database of 2000+ watches, manuals and adverts from the 70s-90s
http://www.vintagelcd.com - Vintage Digital Watches for sale

charger105

Guru

Guru

Post29 Jan 2014, 15:22

Kasper wrote:Thats an impressive shot..very nice...My wife says when you have more then one of the same it's no hobby anymore..you are a freak :-D , i'm happy that i'm not alone.

2 left to collect : the middle boxed one and the octoshape one...i really like the octoshaped one...it look thinner and i have small wrists.
Btw you know i cut glass...i noticed that the writing is printed on the back of the glass :-( Is it the same with the other?

I was impressed by the weight of the watch...it doesn't look like it's a heavy watch.

Your wife is completely correct ! I'll sell some of my swaps one day.........I'm not much of a seller though.
I'm pretty sure the graphics are printed on the back of the glass in most of these. The Octo Seamaster seems to have a bezel under the glass, so I think with this one, the glass has no printing on it.

The Octo Seamasters are pretty uncommon I think. I got these 2 in the one lot, but you very rarely see them come up.
I'd like to get a round Speedmaster. Like this one:
http://www.fratellowatches.com/speedy-t ... storation/
These don't seem to pop up very often either.

The Constellation definately has the best build quality IMO. It's the only one with a screw down caseback, and does have a heavy feel to it. You'd think the Seamaster would have a screw-down caseback since I presume it's aimed at the nautical market.........weird.
Rgds.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post29 Jan 2014, 15:48

gjlelec wrote:The second letters "o,u,e,h,r,a,u" are code."Omega understands everyday horology, Rolex are useless" Bienne are hoping Rolex dont twig it :eek:
Beautiful watch btw

Err.....where are the second letters, what are they code for :-?

Nice watch Kasper 8-)

rogart

Nerd

Nerd

Post04 Mar 2016, 23:46

Kasper wrote:This just came in : Omega Constellation LCD 1977.
With only a production of 18 months with the 1620 caliber, this is really a remarkable watch. It weights 96 grams and has a strong massive semi flexible band.
Typically for vintage digi, the movements are exceptionally well made – this one even has a tiny circuit jumper to change the display from 12 to 24 hours.

Omega Constellation L.C.D. watch, first LCD watch made by Omega, permanent display of Hours, minutes, seconds or date. Stop watch with split function, light. cal 1620.

Omega LCDs were available in 6 different models, based on two case shapes and a number of dial types, gold or stainless steel etc. They were manufactured only for 1 year, in 1977 . The movement is an Omega cal. 1620 , developed by Omega and SSIH.

Time - Hours (12 or 24), Minutes and Seconds, and by a down-arrow Day of week
Time - Hours (12 or 24), Minutes and Date, as well as Day of week by the down arrow
1/100 second Chronograph, able to accumulate up to 23 hours 59 minutes and 59.99 seconds
Split Second Chronograph (as above)
Lap time
Split/stop of 2 consecutive times
Light source for illuminating the display at night, powered by a separate battery
Calendar programmed for leap years
@www.digitalwatches.de

This one is nearly mind condition and has a solid feel. The digits have a strong dark blue color and the light is very nice even spread over the whole display.
I'm impressed :-D
Enjoy the pics. :dwf:

the small star on the display means that the chrono is working.

can someone please tell me what language the second row daysletters is written in?

That is a nice watch Kasper. Do you still have it?

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post04 Mar 2016, 23:55

bucko170 wrote:
gjlelec wrote:The second letters "o,u,e,h,r,a,u" are code."Omega understands everyday horology, Rolex are useless" Bienne are hoping Rolex dont twig it :eek:
Beautiful watch btw

Err.....where are the second letters, what are they code for :-?

Nice watch Kasper 8-)

They're not "code" for anything...they're just the second letter in the spelling of the day of the week, done to reduce possible confusion between S(A) Saturday and S(U) Sunday.

richard_uk

Guru

Guru

Post05 Mar 2016, 04:00

As already pointed out by Adam, over two years ago :lol:

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post05 Mar 2016, 10:15

That is a nice watch Kasper. Do you still have it?

yes it's still in my collection.

- Kasper -

Return to Reviews and latest Acquisitions