It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 09:23

Acid filled Casio S002 rescued

Present your latest purchases, talk about pro + cons or write an interesting review!
  • Author

dutchsiberia

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Acid filled Casio S002 rescued

Post24 Mar 2014, 21:21

From a watch lot "parts only" (like the casio calculator I showed earlier) this one had a leaky BR2325 which filled the module with nasty smelling battery liquid, corroding screws etc. It was broken anyway, so I just dropped the circuit and the corroding screws and other metal parts in vinegar. After a petrol bath and some manual cleaning this is the result. Module 135. Unexpected that it has no alarm or sound. It's supposed to be that way but still, a Casio in this shape without sound :-?

wzy-hman

Techie

Techie

Re: Acid filled Casio S002 rescued

Post03 Apr 2014, 04:00

That's impressive! Are there any details (tips & tricks) you can share on the cleaning process. Your cleaning procedure obviously is very thorough and effective. Thanks

dutchsiberia

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post07 Apr 2014, 19:19

Well, it's not very refined really, I just dunked the circuit and the corroding metal parts in the type of vinegar you use for cleaning, and after a while dunked the whole mess in petrol, (white spirit?) to wash away the vinegar. It was broken anyway, so I thought I couldn't make it worse anyway. More forum members have used the vinegar method, just search the forum :)

wzy-hman

Techie

Techie

Post08 Apr 2014, 03:50

Cool, I know the vinegar technique. Nice to know it can be so effective. Just thought you might've had some extra bells & whistles given the watch sounded like it was in really bad shape when you started. You did a good job on that watch

simone

Guru

Guru

Post20 Apr 2014, 21:42

Great job!!!...is always a pleasure to see a Casio in working condition :grin1:
Vinegar is an extreme measure to fix corroded circuit... i use it even if sometimes there's no chance.. ;-)
Some watches are made to last only as long as they are fashionable
Some watches, simply are not made to last
Seiko watches are designed to withstand the ravages of both time and fashion
Someday perhaps, all watches will be made this way

dutchsiberia

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post20 Apr 2014, 22:31

I agree, I only use it with watches that are broken anyway :) The watch was filled with a really nasty smelling liquid, leaking Lithium batteries smell quite different from alkaline ones. Watch still works great :)

Return to Reviews and latest Acquisitions