It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 07:18

Gruen Octagonal w/ Hughes Dot Display

Present your latest purchases, talk about pro + cons or write an interesting review!
  • Author

grenchat

Geek

Geek

Gruen Octagonal w/ Hughes Dot Display

Post28 Sep 2014, 17:43

:dwf: Greetings fellow LED heads!

This unusual Gruen octagonal model in exceptional condition sports a Spruce Goose 29.31mm dot display module with H,M,S,MO,D. The watch came complete with its original Gruen gold tone bracelet. I just need to remove a couple of links for a precise fit.

:pimp: ‘70s LEDs until the end of time!

:Prost: Cheers!

Jason
"We are showroom dummies"- Kraftwerk

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Re: Gruen Octagonal w/ Hughes Dot Display

Post29 Sep 2014, 19:10

Classical men's dress watch. I love it but most people don't like the gold coloured :-D
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

grenchat

Geek

Geek

Post30 Sep 2014, 01:50

Greetings Kasper!

I’m partial to stainless steel and nickel myself, though I really like the octagon shape, and I won it for a song. If the cheap, tacky band didn’t have “Gruen” printed on the clasp, I would toss it over in favor of a nice smooth reptile skin. If I actually decide to wear this watch, I will do this anyway.

Now, Kasper, are you ready for a really big vintage LED watch surprise? While I was adjusting the band, I tried it on and it seemed a bit too snug, so I tried flexing my wrist muscles while debating a looser pin setting, and then it happened. Tilting my wrist towards my body must have flipped a mercury switch within the module because the time was displayed! I tried it several times and sure enough this is a “Tilt Wrist” model. Have you or anyone else on the forum ever heard of a dot display module with this feature? I had assumed it contained a Hughes based on other Gruen LED watches, but now I rather doubt it. As soon as I have a slow work day, I will pop the can, give it a cleaning, change the batteries and see what’s under the hood. Frontier Semiconductor perhaps?

I will also make a YouTube video of this feature when time permits.

:mega: ‘70s LED watches until the end of time!

Regards,
Jason

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post30 Sep 2014, 07:13

grenchat wrote:........Tilting my wrist towards my body must have flipped a mercury switch within the module because the time was displayed! I tried it several times and sure enough this is a “Tilt Wrist” model. Have you or anyone else on the forum ever heard of a dot display module with this feature? I had assumed it contained a Hughes based on other Gruen LED watches, but now I rather doubt it. As soon as I have a slow work day, I will pop the can, give it a cleaning, change the batteries and see what’s under the hood. Frontier Semiconductor perhaps?

I can't think of any LED dot display watches with the tilt display feature. :scratch: It will be interesting to see what the module is, hopefully it will turn out to be more than just a coincidental internal connection making contact due to movement of the module in the case. ~:(

The LED watches that have with a tilt feature are the Birks, Gillette Reflex and the Pulsars.. ... ...

Birks.
Birks 2 forum.jpg

Gillette Reflex.
Gillette 12 fourm.jpg

Pulsar Big Time.
pulsar 3 forum.jpg

Any others to add to the list?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

grenchat

Geek

Geek

Post30 Sep 2014, 16:23

bucko170 wrote:I can't think of any LED dot display watches with the tilt display feature. :scratch: It will be interesting to see what the module is, hopefully it will turn out to be more than just a coincidental internal connection making contact due to movement of the module in the case. ~:(

Greetings bucko170!

It had occurred to me that the seller may have installed those cheap alkaline LR-44 batteries that are a tad shorter than the silver oxide 357s. If so, the LR-44 used to power the LED display may shift triggering a “logic 1” condition, thus illuminating the display. Obviously the battery powering the CPU isn’t shifting, or I would be losing the time/date settings which have remained accurate to the second throughout.

:pics: In any case, I’ll check it out by the weekend and take photos of what I find.

Stay tuned…

Jason

SASM

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post30 Sep 2014, 18:09

This is a very early display type. If this module has a Tilt feature, the adding of a mercury switch for the flick of the wrist feature wasn´t an idea of Pulsar. Interesting!

grenchat

Geek

Geek

Post01 Oct 2014, 18:54

SASM wrote:This is a very early display type. If this module has a Tilt feature, the adding of a mercury switch for the flick of the wrist feature wasn´t an idea of Pulsar. Interesting!

Greetings Hanno!

Well, I’ve yet to perform the exploratory surgery on this watch since I’m still awaiting my overdue battery shipment. Hopefully the batteries will arrive tomorrow as I have another hungry ‘70s gem ready for show and tell.

B.T.W. – Phasar66 took the same “tilt wrist” model from a Gruen watch and installed it in his Phasar2000 case. Please click HERE and see the retrofitted module in the eighth post. He apparently also believed it to be a Frontier module but learned otherwise from Ed (RetroLEDs).

According to Phasar66, this is the same module used in the Pulsar. Which Pulsar featured both a dot display and the tilt wrist feature?

Best regards from the land of Hughes Aircraft, NSC and Frontier Semiconductor!

Jason

BENRUS

Wizard

Wizard

Post01 Oct 2014, 19:13

Here's a similar topic about the Gruen module:
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=5687&p=36827&hilit=gruen+flick+wrist#p36827

grenchat

Geek

Geek

Post01 Oct 2014, 21:28

BENRUS wrote:Here's a similar topic about the Gruen module:
http://newdwf.com/viewtopic.php?f=82&t= ... ist#p36827

Thank you, Benrus!

I was resigned to creating a compulsory video of this awesome module in action, but you thankfully beat me to the punch. Image

On another note, it hadn’t occurred to me to try two wrist tilts in succession, as I’ve never owned a tilt wrist watch. Having learned about this from your post, I just gave it a try and sure enough it displayed today’s date on the second flip.

Ed of retroleds feels that this a Gruen module, but did Gruen actually create it? I only ask this because practically every watchmaker in the ‘70s wanted to offer an LED model in their heyday, but few actually produced their own modules. Also, I see from your photos that -- assuming we have the same module -- I’ll have to remove a retaining screw in order to change the batteries. I’ve owned LCD analog/digital watches that were designed with such, though have always felt that this is a minor design flaw of sorts.

Not that I’m complaining, as the tilt wrist feature was literally much more than I bargained for, and made for a pleasant shocktober surprise. :no:

Image Thanks again for shining some LED light on this module!

Regards,
Jason

grenchat

Geek

Geek

Post01 Oct 2014, 22:03

retroleds wrote:I'm not saying it positively is Gruen, but the battery contacts on the module, the clip shape and screw in the center of the battery clip, the semi-opaque board and yes, the flick-switch dropped in like that...I've seen all of them in a Gruen a number of times. Just doesn't look like Frontier's construction at any point. Front of the module would be interesting....

Was just digging through manuals here(I keep them seperate and alphabetized)....yeah, I'm thinking it is from Gruen's Telestar series, which specifically didn't have Hughes modules(different frequency quoted in manual).

Quotation taken from Benrus’ “Gruen 640 module with Flick-Wrist” thread.

If anyone has any literature or information on Gruen’s Telestar series, please post. :rtfm:

Thanks,
Jason

grenchat

Geek

Geek

Post07 Oct 2014, 17:46

Well, my new set of jeweler’s screwdrivers arrived yesterday, so last night I performed some long overdue cleaning, exploratory surgery and battery replacement on this enigmatic Gruen.

Initially I found myself struggling with my magnifying glass in order to negotiate the tiny ~ 0.6mm lug screws securing the metallic band. Once out of the way, I tossed the band pins and all into a lined box and soaked it with a generous dose of WD-40 while contemplating its fate. Had it not been the original band with Gruen embossed clasp, my decision would be an easy one; just scrap it in favor of a fine calfskin or lizard strap that would look good and also be a bit more comfortable to wear for extended periods of time.

Cleaning up the module was quite effortless, as the circuit board traces, battery contacts and function input contacts are all gold plated, thus no corrosion. I actually carefully went over the module with a low power microscope in the hopes of finding a clue as to which company manufactured this early flick wrist model. My search turned up fruitless, though MADE IN USA is faintly embossed on the LCD panel side of the plastic carrier. Also, I noticed that the quartz crystal is packaged in a rectangular case. After the holidays, I plan on picking up a used frequency counter, and this will be the first module I test.

Upon cleaning up the case, I encountered a setback that cost me a night’s sleep. Consequently, as I write this, I’m operating on residual caffeine energy. Some of the cleaning alcohol that I applied to the Q-Tips seeped beneath the Plexiglass crystal -- causing the 39 year old glue to blacken and dissolve. :x It’s a good thing that I stock lots of Q-Tips and isopropyl alcohol, as I went through quite a bit of these cleaning up the resulting mess and removing the remnants of antiquated polymer from the crystal and bezel. Once clean, I re-glued the crystal in place and had to allow it to set before applying some clear plastic protectant to the Plexiglass crystal, buffing with Q-Tips and assembling the watch.

I’m attending a major party in a couple of weeks, and while not the best looking LED watch in my growing collection by far, I plan to wear this particular watch because I think that the early dot display and mercury switch function will be a good way to introduce non LED heads to our hobby.

:dwf: Happy Collecting!
Jason

Return to Reviews and latest Acquisitions