It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 01:29

Safety Deposit Box Watch. Pulsar Logo question

Present your latest purchases, talk about pro + cons or write an interesting review!
  • Author

DLD

Safety Deposit Box Watch. Pulsar Logo question

Post04 Oct 2014, 15:12

It’s like Christmas! I was waiting to get my account setup for a few weeks and had resigned myself that it wasn’t going to happen. But, I woke up this Saturday AM and there it was, my registration information. All I can say is this is awesome!

So I bought a safety deposit box full of watches and the stars aligned and there was magic in the box. Specifically this bad boy:

2014-09-26 14.20.58.jpg

2014-09-26 14.20.37.jpg

2014-09-26 14.20.49.jpg

So my questions are these:

Is that a Pulsar logo?
I found a similar logo here: http://www.northernlightspr.com/sector- ... -blue-301/

The face has sharp corners and almost every watch I can find a picture of has rounded corners. I did see a Berks on here that is the closest I have even seen.

The watch clasp is engraved with the name Willie E Taylor. I have it working. It displays the time with the press of the button. A second press will get you the Day of the Week and Day of the month.
Is this a Pulsar? What model and when would you date it to?
Thanks in advance to the collective genius.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DLD

Re: Safety Deposit Box Watch. Pulsar Logo question

Post04 Oct 2014, 15:13

One more photo

2014-09-26 14.21.14.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BENRUS

Wizard

Wizard

Post04 Oct 2014, 18:15

Brand is "Windert"
:Prost:

grenchat

Geek

Geek

Post04 Oct 2014, 19:49

"willkommen" Greetings!

Would you happen to have a photo with the case back removed? Does it contain a Litronix module?

This watch would make a great birthday present for someone named Willie L Taylor. :-P

B.T.W. - Were there other LED watches in the box?

Cheers!
Jason
"We are showroom dummies"- Kraftwerk

BENRUS

Wizard

Wizard

Post04 Oct 2014, 21:13

I think Hughes Aircraft Co. made the modules for this brand of watch...
http://books.google.com/books?id=hAEAAA ... CCUQ6AEwAg
2014-10-04 13.51.14.png

grenchat

Geek

Geek

Post04 Oct 2014, 22:52

:-) Good spotting once again, Benrus!

DLD, you should check to see if your watch contains a message module by pressing the command button several times and or holding the button down until the first word appears. In any case, I’m happy for you as Hughes Aircraft modules are of much better quality than Litronix modules.

:dwf: ‘70s LEDs until the end of time!

Jason

DLD

Post05 Oct 2014, 01:18

2014-10-04 17.56.09.jpg

Wow! i knew you guys would know. Thanks Yes, it seems to match all pictures that I can find.

Now for the tragic news I popped the back off to snap this photo and when I put it back on, the LED was very dim, and now nothing.

The batteries were new 3 weeks ago. Maybe I have not got the case back on properly.

Feeling like a moron.

No luck entering the message module mode, but if and when I get her up and running I will try. :oops:

grenchat

Geek

Geek

Post05 Oct 2014, 04:08

Not to worry, DLD, you’ve come to the right place. The prongs on the inside of the case back must make good contact with the batteries in order to complete the circuit. You will have to try and line them up visually before pressing the case back on.

Once you have done this, you will need to reset the time and date.

DLD

Post05 Oct 2014, 16:28

Many thanks for the words of encouragement. I put a small jumper between the two batteries and pressed the button and she lit up. Whew. After looking at the case back in more detail it’s clear to me that at some point some “rigging” was done to make the circuit. The case back liner/insert has two holes where what I will call “pickups” extend to touch the batteries. One of the pickups was a foreign piece of metal.
I think if I replaced it with a proper pickup, we would be in good shape.
In the pictures below, I indicate with an arrow the piece that I think I should get another one of. To the right of that is the piece that was in there.
Where can I buy a new pickup and what is it called?
I have also included a pic of the module. 0 Jewels Assembled in Korea by Handok IND Is this a bad sign? I was thinking it would say Litronix , Windert or perhaps even Hughes.
Thanks again

IMG_1929.JPG

IMG_1931.JPG

grenchat

Geek

Geek

Post05 Oct 2014, 18:16

Okay, now we know why the watch wasn’t starting up when you put the case back on. One set of small prongs became detached at some point, requiring that the previous owner substitute a small piece of metal. Someone on the board may have some battery prongs from a parts watch you could use. You would just need to apply a little solder and heat with an iron until it melts. If not, a small piece of aluminum foil folded several times would achieve the same thing. It would have to be bunched up tight enough that it couldn’t move once the case back was on.

Judging from the picture of the battery side of the module, it appears to me that your module contains a standard 32.768KHZ quartz crystal in a tubular container . This precludes your module from being a Hughes Aircraft message module or any other type of Hughes module, as these use a special 78.643KHZ crystal. Also, it’s kind of hard to tell from the photograph, but your LCD panel (on front of module) might contain glass magnifiers. These were used frequently by Asian companies to reduce costs by using smaller LEDs.

My first ever LED watch back in ’78 was an Asian made clone that worked fine. The important thing to remember about these or any vintage LED watch is never to allow then to get wet.

Regards,
Jason

Return to Reviews and latest Acquisitions