It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:24

Hamilton QED & Limited Ed LIP.

Present your latest purchases, talk about pro + cons or write an interesting review!
  • Author

Retroriley

Nerd

Nerd

• Location: The Royal County of Berkshire, UK. Where the Queen of England Lives :)

Hamilton QED & Limited Ed LIP.

Post03 Nov 2014, 15:09

Similar watches but 35 years apart. Love them both.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Retroriley

Nerd

Nerd

• Location: The Royal County of Berkshire, UK. Where the Queen of England Lives :)

Re: Hamilton QED & Limited Ed LIP.

Post03 Nov 2014, 15:14

Back of the Hamilton
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

grenchat

Geek

Geek

Post04 Nov 2014, 19:00

:-) I love 'em both -- especially the early Hamilton with the setting magnet module!

Cheers!
Jason
"We are showroom dummies"- Kraftwerk

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post04 Nov 2014, 22:29

I like the Lip...never seen it before but i think i have one from the same collection.

Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

Retroriley

Nerd

Nerd

Post05 Nov 2014, 15:35

grenchat wrote::-) I love 'em both -- especially the early Hamilton with the setting magnet module!

Cheers!
Jason

Yes it has the setting magnet and the dot matrix display. Sadly (for original lovers) it has one of Bruce's modernised modules which is a good or bad thing depending on what side of the fence you stand. The watch is in excellent condition though but again, I believe Bruce cleaned it up for the previous owner.

Retroriley

Nerd

Nerd

Post05 Nov 2014, 15:40

Kasper wrote:I like the Lip...never seen it before but i think i have one from the same collection.

Yes, there are similarities although the digits are totally different.

Say, my Lip 'occasionally' flashes the display when you press the button ( the only outward button!)and shows '3' which I'm guessing is an error message, at that point it also resets the date and time to 0 and at that point I have to reset the date and time. I'd love to know if it is an error message and what it means..... Low battery perhaps as when I wear the watch and it naturally warms up because of my body heat it seems to behave itself.

Does anyone know? Any LIP experts here?

:)

grenchat

Geek

Geek

Post05 Nov 2014, 20:53

Retroriley wrote:
grenchat wrote::-) I love 'em both -- especially the early Hamilton with the setting magnet module!

Cheers!
Jason

Yes it has the setting magnet and the dot matrix display. Sadly (for original lovers) it has one of Bruce's modernised modules which is a good or bad thing depending on what side of the fence you stand. The watch is in excellent condition though but again, I believe Bruce cleaned it up for the previous owner.

Yes, I know how difficult it is to find these early Hamilton dot display modules in proper working condition. What exactly does a Bruce modification entail?

Retroriley

Nerd

Nerd

Post06 Nov 2014, 01:26

grenchat wrote:
Retroriley wrote:

Cheers!
Jason

Yes, I know how difficult it is to find these early Hamilton dot display modules in proper working condition. What exactly does a Bruce modification entail?

I was going to add a link to Bruce's ebay auction for these modules but he doesn't seem to be advertising right now. OK, well, from memory I believe the 'modernised' modules are the original modules minus some of the 70's circuitry and replaced with a modern microchip but utilising the original display matrix. Reliability is key. Perhaps Bruce can correct me here. Bruce is currently fitting one of his modules to a P2 of mine, with luck I'll be getting it back soon.

Retroriley

Nerd

Nerd

Post06 Nov 2014, 11:47

Added a couple more pictures of the Hamilton QED showing the box and paperwork. Not got the outer box sadly :(

grenchat

Geek

Geek

Post06 Nov 2014, 17:58

Retroriley wrote:I was going to add a link to Bruce's ebay auction for these modules but he doesn't seem to be advertising right now. OK, well, from memory I believe the 'modernised' modules are the original modules minus some of the 70's circuitry and replaced with a modern microchip but utilising the original display matrix. Reliability is key. Perhaps Bruce can correct me here. Bruce is currently fitting one of his modules to a P2 of mine, with luck I'll be getting it back soon.

Sounds good. The antiquated circuit was replaced with a modern I.C. chip. The watch should be indiscernible from the original with the same LED display panel. Also, your batteries should last a bit longer.

Hanno also has reproduced many of the classic modules in the SASM series. We can enjoy our original ‘70s watches for the rest of our lives!

Cheers!
Jason

Retroriley

Nerd

Nerd

Post06 Nov 2014, 19:58

grenchat wrote:
Retroriley wrote:I was going to add a link to Bruce's ebay auction for these modules but he doesn't seem to be advertising right now. OK, well, from memory I believe the 'modernised' modules are the original modules minus some of the 70's circuitry and replaced with a modern microchip but utilising the original display matrix. Reliability is key. Perhaps Bruce can correct me here. Bruce is currently fitting one of his modules to a P2 of mine, with luck I'll be getting it back soon.

Sounds good. The antiquated circuit was replaced with a modern I.C. chip. The watch should be indiscernible from the original with the same LED display panel. Also, your batteries should last a bit longer.

Hanno also has reproduced many of the classic modules in the SASM series. We can enjoy our original ‘70s watches for the rest of our lives!

Cheers!
Jason

I've heard of SASM modules for various classics. Do they do a SASM to replace the 2am 8pm button layout Hughes Aircraft 25mm? If so... can anyone point me in the right direction?

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post07 Nov 2014, 08:52

Very nice examples and photo's :mega:

If you contact Hanno he should be able to provide you with the modules you require - I am pretty sure that Hanno has mentioned previously that a SASM module for the Hughes is now available - although it does not show up on his website.

http://www.strikesandspares.de/com/newmodule.htm

Return to Reviews and latest Acquisitions