It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 09:43

Casio-the first (1989) and the ultimate (2002) Fishing Watch

Present your latest purchases, talk about pro + cons or write an interesting review!
  • Author

cybr

Wizard

Wizard

Casio-the first (1989) and the ultimate (2002) Fishing Watch

Post02 Aug 2016, 20:41

Hi,
Accidentally I have found and bought a very interesting timepiece: Casio FT-100W "Fish En Time" - module 844, the first watch dedicated to the fishing amateurs (1989).
It may be seen in the below photo, next to my new/NOS Casio SPF 10 - Radiant Thermo Scanner watch (2002 - module 2030) - which I consider it to be the current ULTIMATE Fishing Watch - but being oriented more to the marine/professional fishermen ( and hopefully NOT the last one in this field, since Casio has even now some less advanced watches in their current Fishing/Hunting Gear line).

Thus because the Casio SPF(SeaPathFinder) 10 may be programed - using GPS coordinates and accurate lunitidal intervals - to compute moon phases and correct tides using proper lunitidal intervals simultaneously for up to 10 different fishing sites around the World + to SCAN using the integrated ThermoScanner the average water temperature - all these kind of data being considered important for the marine/professional fishing field:

ft100w_spf10_3.jpg

But, why is the old Casio FT-100W also interesting?

I. Under my current knowledge, it is the last model of "pure LCD" Casio watches that have the famous "Marlin" brand on it - produced in 1989 - (even if some Casio "purists" do not consider it a true "Marlin" watch, being labeled FT, not W/DW) and together with the logo "Fish EN Time", - not "in time" as it is correct (pls see the above photo). :scratch:
One may read more about Casio Marlin series in my Marlin/DW Casios review, on this forum
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=8077

II. It is also, the first watch that may calculate the proper Fishing Time by the Celestial Angle-Hour method - with the Celestial Hour Angle results displayed in a somehow similar (but not identical) manner as in the already famous Casio GMW-15 Moon Graph (module 832) watch from 1980.

What is Celestial Angle-Hour?
Basically, if we consider the observer's Meridian as the ""point zero", the Moon's rotation angle from that meridian on the East-West direction is called Hour Angle (H.A.), as You may see it in the picture below, from the https://www.astro.umn.edu/courses/1001/ ... ience.html:
HA_moon_sun.gif

How Celestial Angle-Hour method works for a fisherman?
It is quite simple :"Every fisherman knows that the best fishing times are when the fish are feeding. This tends to be during dawn and dusk, but what often goes unnoticed are the two periods elsewhere in the day--moonrise and moonset. Because the moon has an effect on a variety of factors surrounding the fish--including the live fodder they hunt--these periods, combined with the moon's phase, are what trigger feeding. By understanding this, and choosing times when sunrise/sunset and moonrise/moonset coincide with new or full moon phases, you'll increase you chance of a good fishing catch.
There really is nothing complicated about this at all; it's just a matter of knowing ahead of time exactly when the sun and moon will rise and set. Fish are most active during 90-minute windows surrounding each of these four daily events; that's 45 minutes before and after these four daily points. "
One may read more about this specific subject at the URL below:

http://www.moonconnection.com/moon_phase_fishing.phtml

For all the above mentioned fishing reasons, the watch will compute and display (see the photo below):
- Moon Phase;
- Moon Age;
- sunrise/sunset;
- moonrise/moonset
(via an interesting Celestial Angle-Hour display with bars - often confounded by some Casio users with the Tide Bars from other Casios!!!)
for every place in the World (by entering proper Latitude/GMT+- difference data instead of Longitude) and every specific day/date from 1985 to 2029!
- fishing marks :lol: ... for those who are lazy enough to not challenge their minds with some "complicated" computational tasks regarding the proper fishing time , there are some fish "floating" on the screen (so-called fish marks from 1=bad fishing time, up to 4=excellent fishing time) displayed at the four Celestial Hour-Angle points/bars of about 0, 6, 12, 18 hours of that day....pls see the photo below :)
ft100w_fish2.jpg

If You want more information about this kind of Casio's particular (fishing) watches, please let me know.
Regards,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Every watch should have its own story...consequently, a watch collector has to be a good storyteller :)

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Re: Casio-the first (1989) and the ultimate (2002) Fishing W

Post05 Aug 2016, 12:37

wow thx interesting read as a non fishing person.

reminds me of the yes watch. used bij photographers to have the first or last sun of the day and with moonfases. You could put up an alarm 30 minutes before.

Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

cybr

Wizard

Wizard

Post08 Aug 2016, 00:29

Hi Mr. Kasper,
Once again You have seen the right direction. There are many good watches that may be used as a good "fishing watch", on the Casio line OR beyond the past or current digital moon line of watches (as long as the users are not "lazy" and they will try to compute themselves the right fishing time :).
E.g. my favorite one that I own is the Casio Overland W 910 - from the famous Seymour Powell Design - designer's house, which has a similar representation of sunrise/sunset as Your "yes watch", but also with an ambient thermo sensor...
http://watches.gafortiby.com/image/UBFY5BWO.jpg
But all of them cannot really replace a Casio GMW-15 Moon Graph (without fishing estimates) or a FT-100w/FT-200 line about the Moon Hour-Angle method for fishing . Not to mention the SPF 10 average water temperature at surface, in the fishing area...;)

Regards,
Every watch should have its own story...consequently, a watch collector has to be a good storyteller :)

cybr

Wizard

Wizard

Post11 Aug 2017, 21:40

I am glad to say that I have finally completed my collection of Casio's early (and also quite advanced :-D ) Fishing Watches, capable to display not only the "Fish en/in time" period (as the newest, but in my opinion severely CRIPPLED models from the Fishing Gear line! :-( ), but also the Moon's Hour angle, as I have explained in my above posts - by buying 2 (yes, two! :grin1: ) NEW Casio FT-200 Forester watches, module 1879 - released in 1995 (!), and even receiving a 24 months guarantee from the store who sold them as NEW to me... M:)W:)M .

I could not believed my eyes when I saw those NEW watches for sale in the store, at a fraction of their original price (converted in USD) :-D . Thus I bought them in an instant...
And I already have started to wear one of them as a daily beater in a nice holiday on a place full with thermal springs water pools.

Of course, normally I would not have done such a thorough testing of the water resistant capabilities of an old WR 100M and quite rare watch in NEW condition, but I have found and bought two of them NEW at a quite nice price, after all! :grin1:
And the watch have resisted without any problems to some days of heavily swimming tests, in water pools with water having from 27 to 37 Celsius degrees :grin1: .
And yes, I know that it was not wise, but I could not resist to wear and test it...since the tested one will be probably used also in some real-life fishing trips :grin1:
Regards,
:dwf:

cybr

Wizard

Wizard

Post12 Sep 2017, 22:15

And to make it clear WHY I am so excited/enthusiastic about these - VERY RARE in watch history - HOUR-ANGLE watches, one may read the following short (hi)story - and I am almost ready to bet a genuine Trappist Belgian Beer :grin1: that this (hi)story will be a surprise for many of the readers of this outstanding forum: :Prost:

1. The FIRST Hour Angle watch was made by Longines in 1931 in direct cooperation with the famous American aviator Charles Lindbergh, who went from obscurity as a U.S. Air Mail pilot to instantaneous world fame by making his nonstop flight from Long Island, New York, to Paris. He covered the  33 1⁄2-hour, 3,600 statute miles (5,800 km) alone in a single-engine purpose-built Ryan monoplane, Spirit of St. Louis.
This was the first solo transatlantic flight and the first non-stop flight between North America and mainland Europe.
For over the next  33 1⁄2 hours, he and the Spirit of Saint Louis faced many challenges, including skimming over both storm clouds at 10,000 ft (3,000 m) and wave tops at as low as 10 ft (3.0 m), fighting icing, flying blind through fog for several hours, and navigating only by the stars (whenever visible), and dead reckoning before landing at Le Bourget Airport at 10:22 pm on Saturday, May 21, 1927
One may read more on
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Lindbergh

2. Lindbergh’s 1927 flight from Roosevelt Airport in New York to Le Bourget airport near Paris was the first-ever non-stop transatlantic flight by a solo pilot; it was also a milestone for Longines, which timed the flight as official timekeeper for the World Air Sports Federation and added it to the list of aviation records.

3. Shortly thereafter, Lindbergh worked with Longines to produce one of the brand’s most historically significant timepieces, the first so-called Hour Angle watch (see the photo below) in 1931; its groundbreaking, rotating-bezel design allowed pilots and navigators to calculate their longitude during long-distance flights (n.r. using celestial bodies such as stars, moon, sun etc), thus allowing them to home in on their geographic location quickly, efficiently, and accurately.Thus because the latitude is a much easier problem – for instance, if you're in the Northern Hemisphere and navigating at night it pretty much corresponds exactly to the altitude above the horizon of the star Polaris.
http://www.watchtime.com/wristwatch-ind ... niversary/

4. How this watch worked?
It’s based on simple math: since the Earth rotates once in 24 hours, and since there are 360 degrees in a circle, every hour represents 15 degrees. To understand how this is useful to navigators, consider this: suppose it’s noon at your location. All you have to do is figure out the Greenwich Hour Angle for a celestial body, and you have your longitude.

If using the Sun, the example is simple. Let’s say it’s 4:30 in the afternoon at Greenwich. That means the Hour Angle – the equivalent to the time difference expressed in degrees – can be read right off the Hour Angle watch; it’s 60 degrees (note that 60 and IV correspond on the dial) plus another 7 degrees and 30 minutes, read off the outer bezel. You don’t need to add anything for the seconds, although you could – the inner dial rotates to allow you to line the zero point, at 60/15, up with the last pip of a radio time signal (this method of setting the seconds to time was actually invented by Weems, and is found in the Longines Weems Second Setting Watch). That means – if the Sun is directly over your head – you are exactly 67 degrees and 30 minutes west of Greenwich – if you’re at, say, 45 degrees north latitude, you are somewhere over Maine. (Latitude is a much easier problem – for instance, if you're in the Northern Hemisphere and navigating at night it pretty much corresponds exactly to the altitude above the horizon of Polaris.) While this is not the exact method in every detail, nor comprehensive, it illustrates the basic principle of the Hour Angle as used in navigation, and the Hour Angle watch
https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/the-h ... ngle-watch
Regards,
:dwf:
Image from https://www.longines.com/universe/news/ ... n-auctions

Return to Reviews and latest Acquisitions