It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 11:19

Worst luck with LED watches!

Present your latest purchases, talk about pro + cons or write an interesting review!
  • Author

Spartcom5

Worst luck with LED watches!

Post29 Apr 2017, 08:01

Hey, hopefully there is anyone here that may be able to help me out. I collect watches and always buy LEDs when I come across them. However, EVERY single one of them has been toasted. Battery leakage all over... So I guess my question to you all is what should I do? How dangerous is the mercury in these watches? How can I go about trying to clean them up? Are there spare modules anywhere or am I doomed? Here is one I bought that is toast.... ANY advice is greatly appreciated, I need a working LED watch lol
ImageImageImageImageImage

gjlelec

Wizard

Wizard

Re: Worst luck with LED watches!

Post30 Apr 2017, 15:40

If its a case of "module probably shot" dip the module in white vinegar, that dissolves the "green peril" then wash in distilled water then gently dry. You have little to lose

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post30 Apr 2017, 21:08

Don't forget...the other big killer of LED watches is...static electricity. It's almost certainly the culprit when you see a module that is cosmetically clean but still totally dead (personally, from what I've seen, I think it's destroyed more watches than leaking batteries). You should always take anti-static precautions when working on modules, or changing batteries (use a grounding strap, or wait until the relative humidity goes above 70%...static charges can't form under those conditions).

SASM

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post02 May 2017, 11:35

Does it contain a "Made in Korea" module? If yes, I will have a replacement module available next month. It´s already in production.

Return to Reviews and latest Acquisitions