It is currently 04 Jun 2024, 14:29

Ideas for changing the look and function of DWF.nu

Talk about everything digital watch related and off - topic.
  • Author

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Ideas for changing the look and function of DWF.nu

Post13 Jul 2010, 18:11

It's that time of year again - the weather gets hot, I hide inside, and think about spending a little time and effort on upgrading parts of the forum. Give me your ideas.

I had thought about moving that "top 12 posts" list to the top. Would that be weird or welcome?
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

: Ideas for changing the look and function of DWF.nu

Post13 Jul 2010, 20:04

My 2 cents - I'm comfortable with the list being were it is....
But how about changing the pics of the watches at the top of the page?
To mix it up a little? :-)

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Re: : Ideas for changing the look and function of DWF.nu

Post13 Jul 2010, 20:58

LEDluvr wrote:My 2 cents - I'm comfortable with the list being were it is....
But how about changing the pics of the watches at the top of the page?
To mix it up a little? :-)
I was thinking about changing the header picture, including "Mr. Electron Brain".
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post13 Jul 2010, 21:04

Do we have top 12 posts?
I always enter the froum via "new posts since your last visit" and practically never see the main menu.
Pics on top of page? Waste of screen space IMHO.
I want a forum that works well. I don't boter about fancy eye candy that gets boring as soon as you are used to it anyway. (I know I'm a bit different i this regard...) My 2c.

Oh, wait a moment: a bigger edit window would be nice. Im sitting in front of two 1920x1200 pixel monitors and have to write in a tiny 430x240 pixel window...

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

Post13 Jul 2010, 21:04

I was thinking about changing the header picture, including "Mr. Electron Brain".

Sounds good.... 8-)

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post13 Jul 2010, 21:17

Why not make it a bit of fun and put it to the vote with the watches that score the most votes making it onto the header?

I also mostly enter the forum via 'posts since last visit.'

Love reading posts such as Ed's on changing a Hughes QC would it be possible to have a dedicated place for 'repair instructions' as it is sometimes difficult to remember where to find them when required.

Just to refresh your memory here's Ed's post.

The quartz crystal will come off the board easily .
With the plastic ring off(of course).
Hold your non-dominant hand palm up, hold module around edges firmly(no pressure on front plastic, there ARE wire-bonds below it), place your thumb between the two battery contacts to further spread the force out, push the top of the crystal toward edge of board(like you are tipping over a tombstone or a drunk...sorry, only visual that came to mind, teenage hi-jinks ). Stuffing a little silver epoxy in the holes is fairly easy, you just pull the epoxy to a nice fine tip by dipping a thin needle in it, cram into the holes in the board. Don't blob any at all outside the hole. If it gets messy, stop and clean the entire area very well with a little isopropyl alcohol on a cotton swab. A few errant grains of the silver could drive you crazy with the symptoms. When you have them crammed fairly full, stick the quartz crystal in and let sit for a few hours. If successfyul, place a small dot of regular epoxy at the base to secure the crystal to the board better. It's not rocket science, just takes a little technique.

Last thoughts: Take a little Lime-Away(or similar product for removing lime and rust stains from toilets and sinks and using a cotton swab, clean the entire boards surface and that plstic ring of any stains from batteries leaked in the past....those disolved metals can cause weirdness. The aluminum battery contacts can be saved from oxidizing by using a little electrical contact cleaner/protector on a cotton swab.

My 2p

clockace

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post14 Jul 2010, 02:23

my penny and a half: i like to enter thru the last 12 posts. much quicker to keep up to date. peter

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post14 Jul 2010, 04:46

clockace wrote:my penny and a half: i like to enter thru the last 12 posts. much quicker to keep up to date. peter

Pete:
My plan is to put in a "bookmark"(HTML code) right above that list, and a link right above those other current choices(post since last visit, unanswered posts, your posts). Then a person can save THAT as their favorite/bookmark, and go straight to it. Really it serves the function of all those other links, for most practical purposes. If you just want to see what's been happening lately, it give you immediate gratification.

charger105

Guru

Guru

Post14 Jul 2010, 10:28

I'd like to see a page button to click for each thread. So for longer threads, instead of clicking the thread, waiting for it to open, and then selecting the last page for the recent additions, you could just click the last page from the start.....in the Recent Post section that is.

Rgds.

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post14 Jul 2010, 12:30

charger105 wrote:I'd like to see a page button to click for each thread. So for longer threads, instead of clicking the thread, waiting for it to open, and then selecting the last page for the recent additions, you could just click the last page from the start.....in the Recent Post section that is.Rgds.
IIUC what you mean, this feature already exists: In the very right column of the thread overview is the name of the autor of the last post; click on the symbol Image to the right of this name and you're at the last post.

planetlcd

Techie

Techie

Post14 Jul 2010, 12:33

charger105 wrote:I'd like to see a page button to click for each thread. So for longer threads, instead of clicking the thread, waiting for it to open, and then selecting the last page for the recent additions, you could just click the last page from the start.....in the Recent Post section that is.

Rgds.

+1
The (Never ending word association, strictly for fun) thread is a perfect example for your point.

Also, is it possible to allow us to customise the layout ourselves similar to how its done on eBay ? I'm pretty happy the way the forum is laid out now but since you asked I'm throwing a question at you ;-)

planetlcd

Techie

Techie

Post14 Jul 2010, 12:35

rewolf wrote:
charger105 wrote:I'd like to see a page button to click for each thread. So for longer threads, instead of clicking the thread, waiting for it to open, and then selecting the last page for the recent additions, you could just click the last page from the start.....in the Recent Post section that is.Rgds.
IIUC what you mean, this feature already exists: In the very right column of the thread overview is the name of the autor of the last post; click on the symbol Image to the right of this name and you're at the last post.

Thanks for the tip :mrgreen:

charger105

Guru

Guru

Post14 Jul 2010, 16:19

IIUC what you mean, this feature already exists: In the very right column of the thread overview is the name of the autor of the last post; click on the symbol to the right of this name and you're at the last post.

Well you learn something new every day ! I'd never noticed this before. Thanks Rewolf.
Rgds.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post14 Jul 2010, 18:49

Me neither :oops:

Led-Time

Guru

Guru

Post14 Jul 2010, 21:25

Ed,

I love seeing pictures of the members watches and something I don't like on the forum is the gallery, to me it looks messy, I know you probably don't have much time to sort out Ledwatches.net but I find it a much better place to look at watches.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post15 Jul 2010, 21:01

Klippie wrote:Ed,

I love seeing pictures of the members watches and something I don't like on the forum is the gallery, to me it looks messy, I know you probably don't have much time to sort out Ledwatches.net but I find it a much better place to look at watches.
The real problem with LEDwatches.net is the organizational structure. It was started with(examples) a Folder named "folder 1", which contained everything from Alba to Zodiac, whatever pictures came in. Then a new folder "folder 2" was started, again, anything from Alba to Zodiac. This goes on for 70-80 folders. So a person would have to MANUALLY sort out every single picture, to put them in some logical order and to label them for better function. This is a good hundred man-hours of work. I can slip in 5 hours every week during the summer to work on the forum, but Ledwatches will have to wait for a really time and energy burst to come along.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post18 Sep 2010, 12:43

How about an accurate time display on the forum it would be handy especially for those pesky summer time, daylight saving time changes.

J Thomas

Wizard

Wizard

Post18 Sep 2010, 20:58

:-D
Last edited by J Thomas on 30 Mar 2011, 06:58, edited 1 time in total.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post20 Sep 2010, 02:17

Well, got your icon idea implimented Jeff.

Mick's idea for a clock - a generic clock would be easy - but that would hardly be an upgrade to the little thing readily available on your Windows/Linux/Apple computer, which is either your PC's internal clock's time setting, OR the time generated by your ISP's servers. Different countries have different roll-over dates for daylight saving time(DST). Actually, a large portion of the world doesn't use DST at all - China,India and Japan, plus a number of equatorial countries and most of Southern Africa(continent). Maybe if I knew how you would use it, I could see the value of straining over it.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post22 Sep 2010, 17:29

Small incremental change:
If you are visiting and decide you want to log in and post, and click Post, the log in will take you directly into Posting windows for that topic instead of you dumping into the Home page and having to find the topic again. 8-)

Return to General Discussion