It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 03:43

Definition of "shockproof"

Talk about everything digital watch related and off - topic.
  • Author

Fitron

Wizard

Wizard

Definition of "shockproof"

Post01 May 2007, 15:24

Just how shockproof is a digital watch from 30+ years ago? I cycle into work and some of the roads are pretty bone jarring and it made me wonder just how much can a watch take before it has had it. Are any particularly susceptible to damage and which are the digital equivilant of a Toyata pick up (Viewers of BBC tv top gear will know what I mean...indestructible) Please note I'm not talking about reliability but durability under vibrational stress. Anyone have a story to tell?

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

re: Definition of "shockproof"

Post01 May 2007, 22:04

Time Computer routinely tested their Pulsar design to 2500g's, and the watches remained functional. A human wrist or arm subjected to such shock of force would be pulverized. While I doubt that all LEDs were that shock-resistant, I would guess that even the most delicate of them were far less vulnerable to impact than any mechanical watch [that element of durability, was, in fact, one of their strongest selling points]. As definitions go, any watch that was able to keep on ticking after bones started breaking, could be reasonably called shockproof.

Fitron

Wizard

Wizard

Post03 May 2007, 21:27

Thank you Bruce, next time a 3 series BMW cuts me up I shall relax in the knowledge that my watch is safe even as I head for tarmac....

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post07 Jun 2007, 01:32

:lol: :lol: :lol: great views
I had a slight oops on my bike while wearing my BigBlock.
it stopped working.
it needed a new quartz from another Hughes and it's ticking again.

as for digital watches - in most cases shockproof is the word used for the durability of the quartz. heavy-duty watches have robust cases and more expensive quartz crystals with a better "suspension".

in mechanicals we have the famous "inca-block" suspension system for the balance wheel introduced in the 30's and later renamed to shock-proof

Synchroserious

Wizard

Wizard

Post12 Jun 2007, 17:44

25.000 G,s
Membership status is unknown due to lack of communication.

Return to General Discussion