It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 11:27

Tips on buying a digital watch.

Talk about everything digital watch related and off - topic.
  • Author

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Tips on buying a digital watch.

Post17 Jul 2007, 19:25

[Modified..giving up on making a list for awhile :roll: ] I'll start with these two....

1.If they say it works, ask for a picture; otherwise, assume it will arrive NOT WORKING. Ditto for "I don't have batteries" or "I can't open the back".
2. Unless you are really thin, ask the seller to measure the length of the band from end to end. Subtract 1/2"(12mm or 1cm) and you will have the reasonable "working length".
Last edited by retroleds on 22 Jul 2007, 22:47, edited 2 times in total.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Planet-LED

Techie

Techie

: Tips on buying a digital watch.

Post19 Jul 2007, 21:01

The number of links in a watch band is something that you always need to ask about. The Pulsar Date Command, for example, came with a total of 14 links (seven on each side) from the factory. I have seen many for sale of ebay with only five or six links on each side.

When I first began buying watches, that was the number one problem I ran into. The bands many times would only fit a 6" wrist. When I would contact the seller, they would hit me with "you should have asked". This is unethical because the seller knows a watch with a band that size isn't going to fit anyone. So ask, ask, ask!

Fitron

Wizard

Wizard

Post22 Jul 2007, 22:43

This one's a bit obvious but it's important enough to restate. If you're after a particular watch model do not buy anything for a while. Observe and note the prices, condition, quality of photos etc. Then work out what you can get for your money and not overbid. Use the Completed Items only option on the left hand side of the ebay search options. This will show the previous 15 days sales and how much they went for.

jones38

Nerd

Nerd

Post07 Jun 2011, 16:28

Thanks for the great tips! very useful for my next online purchase!

stefaniesunny

Re: Tips on buying a digital watch.

Post13 Jun 2011, 05:34

I got it. :roll: I will share with my friends. Thanks

laptop

Techie

Techie

Re: Tips on buying a digital watch.

Post13 Jan 2013, 06:08

Hi,
Im new to the forum, but I would like to share my approach for new purchases on ebay.
Whenever you see an item been sold for somebody as "I don't know anything about it" and such, take some time and look at the history of the seller. Also look to see what other items he/she has for sale, if you see only watches and/or related item, don't take the "condition unknown", etc etc, because most probably the watch had been tested and with the replacement of batteries only will not work. So, approach with caution and buy it taking in consideration the possibility of the watch never work again and could be used only for parts.
Using this approach I've been lucky many times on ebay and sometimes I could not believe the pieces of art that I've got for a few bucks : )
The impossible is only a point of view!

Return to General Discussion