It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:27

Should a watch be complete to be deemed new old stock?

Talk about everything digital watch related and off - topic.
  • Author

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Should a watch be complete to be deemed new old stock?

Post12 Aug 2007, 05:13

I know there is a condition rating guide forum but I wanted to get more exposure on this. Ed can move it if he wants, of course.

I've noticed a few sellers on Ebay whom I believe are abusing this term so I was curious what people here think of an incomplete watch being referred to as New Old Stock. Like a watch that doesn't have the original band, etc. Also, should a watch have the original box to be deemed as such?

M

Handy

Techie

Techie

: Should a watch be complete to be deemed new old stock?

Post12 Aug 2007, 12:30

That's a very good question.

I think that everything should be NOS, apart from the batteries of course ;-)

I consider my Pulsar Sport to be new and not new old stock although the module clearly is NOS. With regard to the Pulasr Sport, I don't think it matters as the price is good and the quality is excellent IMHO.
Regarding the box, I don't bother with them as you can't wear the box.

Cheers,
Ian

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post12 Aug 2007, 16:36

Good question Jeff!
I think the band and all internals of the watch should be original(or at least from the original manufacturer) to be called NOS. The box? It is a plus, but lack of a box doesn't stop the watch from being NOS. And there are some watches that were sold without a manufacturer marked box e.g. the Orient Touch watches. I have one of the dealer's boxes for those - apparently a dealer would put thedealer box with five watches in the display case, and then put one in a generic box when purchased.

We can copy this thread to the condition rating area if it gets fleshed out with more replies 8-) .
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post13 Aug 2007, 13:40

We can copy this thread to the condition rating area if it gets fleshed out with more replies

Yes, that's what I was thinking. :-)

Anyway, I was just curious what you guys thought. Some people substitute different boxes on their "NOS" watches but since you don't need a box, then I guess that's ok. One auction I noticed says something like "all new old stock" but the band has been substituted with a new one, which the seller admits. That to me doesn't make it NOS at all.

Jeff

digibloke

Wizard

Wizard

Post14 Aug 2007, 23:56

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130141427051

This auction was the same. I guess if you really need an Accutron box, a brand new 20 dollar bracelet and a Mostek module/N6 case then it'd make sense to bid as it's all apparently NOS.

My only worry would be that someone who doen't spend hours messing with watches and looking for them on ebay might think they were buying the real deal here.

(I guess Ed must have been after the box ;-) )

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Re: : Should a watch be complete to be deemed new old stock?

Post15 Aug 2007, 04:02

digibloke wrote:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130141427051

My only worry would be that someone who doen't spend hours messing with watches and looking for them on ebay might think they were buying the real deal here.

(I guess Ed must have been after the box ;-) )

Actually, I was the one who sold that seller the watch AND box :lol: .....I find it kind of funny that I can bid a ways beyond what I sold it for in safety, since he never sets a reserve that isn't at least 50% over what I charged him. It's sick, I know - why didn't they(the other bidders) just visit my site? :cry: Oh yeah, I didn't have that one listed. :o
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post15 Aug 2007, 11:52

Shame on your Ed. haha. Kidding. Anyway, I didn't remember the auctions I was refering to but that might be one of them. Actually the Accutron box isn't even original to that watch. All those clear crystal Bulova's were sold under the "Bulova Quartz" name and came in a "Bulova Quartz" box.

As for people not visiting Ed's site...Yes more people should be, but you can't beat Ebay for exposure. As for why people spend more on UK auctions, I guess they have little faith that their packges are going to arrive from oversears. Dunno why that would be.

Jeff

digibloke

Wizard

Wizard

Post15 Aug 2007, 13:50

As for why people spend more on UK auctions, I guess they have little faith that their packges are going to arrive from oversears. Dunno why that would be

I think it's fair to say that a very high percentage of LED and LCD collectors are in Europe and by buying from the UK they get their watches quicker and avoid inport tax.

Personally I buy about 75% of my watches from the States (simply more watches to choose from). Only one has ever failed to arrive (out of hundreds) and as I usually stick to "fixer uppers" they tend to get through customs untroubled (although not always unopened).

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post15 Aug 2007, 18:28

It's interesting you mention people in the UK wanting to avoid tax. Most of them end up paying much more than they would if they had bought a watch from the U.S., for example; taxes included.

It's sad when I see some UK sellers auctioing junk watches and getting big bucks.

Jeff

LiquidLed

Techie

Techie

Post15 Aug 2007, 23:06

Majestyk wrote:It's interesting you mention people in the UK wanting to avoid tax. Most of them end up paying much more than they would if they had bought a watch from the U.S., for example; taxes included.

It's sad when I see some UK sellers auctioing junk watches and getting big bucks.

Jeff

A lot of my stuff comes from the US, but if FedEx is used then I know I will be charged customs regardless of it being a repair or a purchase, seems they charge vat and you have to dispute to get your money back - this is a real pain so usually I just pay it. It's wrong that they should charge regardless and is up to to the receiver to dispute the claim - and to top it all they pop a handling charge on top to handle the vat money grrrrrrrr :-(
It is here! It is now!

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post16 Aug 2007, 10:39

I rarely ever come across a US/Canadian auction that only uses couriers and when I do, I stay away unless the item is worth it or if it's really cheap, like two pairs of speaker stands that I got on Ebay for $9.00. The seller would only go with UPS...The most offending courier of them all, for brokerage fees. But to find similar stands locally would have cost close to $200. I lucked out this time; there was no fee at all. Probably becuase they were so cheap. :)

Jeff

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post18 Aug 2007, 06:38

LiquidLed wrote:A lot of my stuff comes from the US, but if FedEx is used then I know I will be charged customs regardless of it being a repair or a purchase, seems they charge vat and you have to dispute to get your money back :-(

Yeah, I always think it is a real rip-off that a person in the U.K. should have to pay VAT on a repair piece. Myself, I always feel it is perfectly honest to only put down the value of the batteries, crystal or other new parts I installed in a repair piece, as it is not my place to appraise pieces, and we all know a vintage piece could stop at any time :lol:

We're steering this one a bit off course - although this is a good topic. :o

I've been on a little vacation...good to be back. You guys have been busy I see! :-P

Return to General Discussion