It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 02:03

Antiques Road show Dec 30th. U.K BBC TV show.

Talk about everything digital watch related and off - topic.
  • Author

Mr Frequency 32768hz

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Antiques Road show Dec 30th. U.K BBC TV show.

Post11 Dec 2007, 02:24

Set your VCR's for 30th December. Some of my LED's will be on The Antiques Road show. This has been a quest for me to get on the show. Looks like it will be a reality !

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just thought i would give everyone a report on some of my LED watches being shown on The Antiques Road show / Modern collecables show.
O.K, from the beginning :-) I drove 2 hours to where they where filming at Del la warr pavilion Bexhill on sea. It is a beautiful Art Deco building, which made for a perfect setting for the show...... And the sun was shining !
So, I made my through the crowds to get to the reception, where I find many assistants running around like ant's with walky talkies and headphones. I manage to wave my Blue Antique Roadshow Fast Pass at a young assistant, who says, " you the swatch watch man", " as your late".. "Ha, no LED I reply". Oh great, she says, " wait there and i will get back to you". watching and listening to the unorganised chaos around, I see some blue pass collectors being rejected as their items are not Modern collectables ? So I start to wonder what have I got myself into. After a hour or so the assistant comes back and confirms i will be filmed, but the expert who was supposed to see me was flooded out the night or so before with the torrential rain we where are having at the time, so i have a different presenter looking after me she reports. ( Not sure if this is good or bad ). But by this time I'm just happy they are gonna film me. Then she gets out her clip board and says, O.K, 4:00 for make up, 4:30 filming your watches. Then tells me to wait there and the expert who is going to see me will come through and have a quick chat. 45 min later he finally comes through and says hello, "i try to sell myself as best as possible, as im still worried that he might not want to do include my watches". So off i go for lunch to get my head around the forthcoming filming.
4:00 on the dot im standing with my two suitcases full with the 37 watches ready to go. Then the assistant tells me we can go up to the green room where there is tea, food, and seating........ "I wish she had told us this at 12:00", and not left me sitting on the floor with the masses. Bad organisation. Then I'm told, we are very sorry, its not usually like this. We are filming two shows at once, ( Modern collectables / regular antiques roadshow ). So now the heart is pitching up a gear knowing I'm going to go in front of the lights and camera. I want to cover everything, and try to come across professional.
So I sit at the make up desk, get a quick powdering, ready to go downstairs. Assistant arrives at 5:00 and takes me down, to find out the 70's clock man has taken my slot at the bottom of the stairs. I take and deep breath, as i don't want to loose my poise. Assistant apologises, and says i will be next. So i go back to the lift where another assistant approaches me and says do i mind going on after the 70's toy man, as he has been waiting. Now the blood is starting to boil slightly..... i reply politely.... NO.... LOL. Oh, i forgot, the director approached me before this and asked if i can film outside....... NO WAY, i tell her.... too windy, and you wont see the LED display. She gets the hint im a little agitated, and replies, no problem.
O.K here we go... I'm ushered up to the next stair level, where the set production guy has produced a small almost BBQ looking table, and says, lets get these watches out then. I look at the table like a ungrateful kid and say, do we have anything bigger. No he replies ! So i just start to pile the watches on the table. So small is the table, i can't get everything on. The set designer starts to help me arrange, and then says, " what do ya think". I reply...... Looks like someone has dumped a load of watches on a table, " in a now very un-happy voice". He knows im now peed off. He replies, well that's what is about, people bring in their items and just put them on the table. I guess he don't know i was asked as a collector to bring these expensive watches along. I wish i would of said, how comes the clock man downstairs gets a professional set with clock hanging from Perspex, and i get a crappy BBQ table. I now can see they are just running out of time, and just making do with me. I want it to be done right, but my perfection does not even register with this guy.
So lighting done, presenter briefs me, cameras roll, and i confidently, ( I think ), try to cram as much in as possible. I want to talk for 30 min... ha-ha, but in my dream like state, i guess i got 6 min. I mention the P-1 History, and he asked me what does it sell for then and now, i reply $2100 in 72, and $17,650 'ish in a ebay online auction a few years back...... He was shocked ! good TV reaction. I mention Tiffany & Co calc, Sonny about to jump in is mansion Pool, then phoning Time computer to see if it was O.K. And I'm sure some other good info. Then before i knew it, he thanked me, and they cut. I felt confident i had done O.K. But then, i thought...... Darn, should of mentioned So much more. But I'm told it still could end up on the cutting room floor. But from the mess i saw on the day, i was relieved i was filmed. This will be screened according to the letter i recived on the 30th December. It will be seen by few 1000000 of people i guess. And if it goes BBC America, we are talking serious amount of People will hear about the LED Pulsar History i gave. I wish i could of watched it back to remember what i said. I could not even get all my watches on the table. But any exposure is good i guess for our collections.
I pack up, walk down the sea front, put the watches in the boot, and drive the 3 hours home thinking i wish i would of said this, i wish i should of said that..... they said i did good, so I'm happy.

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

: Antiques Road show Dec 30th. U.K BBC TV show.

Post11 Dec 2007, 05:38

God I hope it makes the cut and you and those awesome watches are on TV. Please record it and post it on utube so we can all see it! :-D

Led-Time

Guru

Guru

Post11 Dec 2007, 19:30

That's excellent, well done I'll be tunning in for sure... :-D

joeywaycool

Techie

Techie

Re: Antiques Road show Dec 30th. U.K BBC TV show.

Post11 Dec 2007, 20:28

Mr Frequency 32768hz wrote:.......

I mention the P-1 History, and he asked me what does it sell for then and now, i reply $2100 in 72, and $17,650 'ish in a ebay online auction a few years back...... He was shocked !............

I find it humorous that the Antique's Roadshow appraiser had to ask you what the value of the P-1 is! Some expert...

Looks like a very nice selection of LED watches you brought to talk about. Good job.

Mr Frequency 32768hz

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post11 Dec 2007, 21:45

Well the expert that was supposed to talk to me could not make it.. he was flooded out a few days before. The original expert did do some research on LED's I was told. As this show is a special Modern collectables Antiques Road-show, its more about what people are colleting now, as apposed to the usual people bringing in the 100 year old furniture. So these appraisers are not used to the newer collectables. But Paul Atterbury who saw me knew about Grima LED watches, and was very impressed that i had aquired two. I guess these newer collectors know so much with the power of the web.

Fitron

Wizard

Wizard

Post11 Dec 2007, 23:33

Admit it, you just luuuurrve being in front of the camera, what with Easties and all.... :-D . I shall be watching.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post12 Dec 2007, 15:37

Just curious - Mr Frequency, you are the one more casually dressed and sporting an LED?

Good job - sure hope it gets picked up in the USA.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Mr Frequency 32768hz

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post12 Dec 2007, 18:35

Yes, I'm on the right :)

Cool!(site admin)

TheFordGuy

Geek

Geek

Post13 Dec 2007, 18:55

Wonder if there's a way to order an indivdual episode on DVD in case it doesn't make it to the states?

Group buy possible?

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

Post15 Dec 2007, 21:35

I someone could post that segment of the show on utube that would be great.

Diginut

Techie

Techie

Post30 Dec 2007, 21:55

One small button press for Lloyd, one giant push for digital watch appreciation!

Thanks Lloyd, you did us proud. I am sure I speak for all on here and the other site at .cc

Pity the presenter didn’t let you finish answering each of his questions, but he did look genuinely surprised at the money shot when ‘you’ told ‘him’ (the expert!) how much P1's can go for !!

Plus I didn’t realise your other half was into shoes in such a big way !

f.e.a.r

Techie

Techie

Post30 Dec 2007, 21:56

Nice one frequency, loved your collection! and you did a great job not making us look too nerdy :-D . It`s a good job you knew your stuff as the other guy didn`t have a clue!!

Diginut

Techie

Techie

Post30 Dec 2007, 22:04

... yeah, he didnt really know much about nuddin, except the throw away line at the end where he name dropped 'Grima' into the closing sentance.

I dont know how many folks know this, but sadly Andrew Grima passed away last wednesday. But its a nice thought that his amazing and unique Digital Watch creations should appear on national TV in the same week, 30 yrs after he made them.

Diginut

Techie

Techie

Post30 Dec 2007, 22:56

Someones already posted a link to Lloyds moment of fame on TV.

Unfortunately its on 'the other site' and the administrator of this site has got code which prevents me from even mentioning its existance.

This is sad becuase surely we are all supposed to be passionate about digital watches not bickering about past events.

Anyway, its worth a try if you modify this link by removing the 'space' before the ' .cc' shown below :-

"www.dwf .cc/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=260"

(dont be surprised if this is my last post due to editorial punishment ...)

f.e.a.r

Techie

Techie

Post31 Dec 2007, 00:07

I`ve looked at the other site and WOW!! frequency!!! just seen you dancing on `You Tube` too :shock: You sure can move for a big un ! :-D

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post31 Dec 2007, 00:32

Fine, you can mention the other site.

In the words of Bart Simpson," don't have a cow dude". :-)

If you were in my position, you too might have had such a knee-jerk reaction.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Mr Frequency 32768hz

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post31 Dec 2007, 02:41

Just got rid of a house full of Antiques Road Show drunk watchers. I'm just relieved they showed my clip, as many people on the day that where filmed never made it onto the show now I have seen the final edit. They cut my interview in half, and they cut out my joke about checking the time on the GP LED driver side view whistle driving, and crashing your car, and when Sonny went to jump in his pool with his P-1 on, then phoned Pulsar to see if it was water proof before he jumped in. Oh well, some nice shots of my LED's, and its gotta be good for the LED.
I looked a little nervous at first, but got the main LED history over I guess. Its a shame the expert who was supposed to see me got flooded out. It could of been more interesting with a presenter who knew something.....lol. Still I'm happy to be encapsulated in Antiques Road show fame. Thanks all..........

You can watch the show here... I'm about 34 min in.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/page/item/b008ppvg.shtml

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post31 Dec 2007, 03:25

No, you can't; not unless your ISP address is registered as being in the UK [at least, that's what the BBC website is telling me]. Lloyd, you or one of our other UK collectors may have to download this and cache it somewhere with a link that us blokes in the colonies can access...

Led-Time

Guru

Guru

Post31 Dec 2007, 04:03

I found a file hosting site and uploaded the setup exe. file - http://fileho.com/download/002cff908817 ... p.exe.html - I'am not sure if it'll work though.

Diginut

Techie

Techie

Post31 Dec 2007, 13:43

I've downloaded the hi-res stream (600mb !) and done a series of 15 hi-quality SCREEN GRABS. Amazing stuff to look at.

Who'd have thought Digital Watches would get such exposure in 2007, 30 years on!

These can be viewed here :-

http://www.dwf.cc/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=263

Enjoy.

Return to General Discussion