It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 13:10

Poll: Form or functions -what makes a watch desirable?

Talk about everything digital watch related and off - topic.

I have made most of my watch purchases because of their:

Look
92%
Features
8%

Total votes : 13

• Author

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Poll: Form or functions -what makes a watch desirable?

Post09 Mar 2010, 20:53

I was inspired by a Synchronar thread where it was brought up that many Chinese made watches give only time and date, and the implication was that people are intrigued by the Synchronar watch because of it's features. Tell us, please...
Last edited by retroleds on 09 Mar 2010, 22:07, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

J Thomas

Wizard

Wizard

Re: Poll:Form or functions -what makes a watch desirable?

Post09 Mar 2010, 22:05

:-D
Last edited by J Thomas on 30 Mar 2011, 05:24, edited 2 times in total.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

: Poll:Form or functions -what makes a watch desirable?

Post09 Mar 2010, 22:05

Because I have a strong preference for the original 1970s watch it is definitely the look of a watch which makes it desirable, function can be important if it is 'of the age' but if I was hungry for features I would be more inclined towards modern watches.

rewolf

Guru

Guru

: Poll: Form or functions -what makes a watch desirable?

Post10 Mar 2010, 00:30

Design and build quality - that's why I like Ventura (the Swiss company, not the Hamilton Venturas).
70's LEDs combined with great design, like the GP.
Of course "design" is simply a matter of taste...

I never use any features but time and date; countdown, stopwatch, alarm is all much easier to handle with the mobile phone. The user interface of feature-loaded watches is mostly a nightmare, especially if you don't wear it often and wear many different watches. I'd never remember how to operate a Synchronar's stopwatch, let alone set time or date...

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

Post10 Mar 2010, 00:53

I'm on the same pages as Bucko and rewolf, the design (look) of the watch attracts me - but the build quality is also a strong factor in a purchase. For example, today's LCD's are much cheaper and have many more features, but I think how many of those features and I really going to use? And how long 'till the darn thing breaks down?

charger105

Guru

Guru

Post10 Mar 2010, 08:41

I'm drawn to build quality like Rewolf. Of course appearance matters too, but it's always a bit of a let down when a nice looking watch has a crap movement, or is poorly finished when you look closely, or is made from inferior materials.

An exception to this are the Synchronars. I think the electronically adjustable speed function is great.

Rgds,
Andrew.

morelite

Techie

Techie

Post27 Mar 2010, 16:02

The style and size are most important to me, added functions are nice but all I really need is time and date.

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post28 Mar 2010, 11:10

i am also in favour of simple designs,build quality and finish. over complicating watches with dozens of functions ,as they did at the end does not make it more desirable.less is more as they say.
imo some of the most beautiful watches are some of nat-semis novus models,along with some pulsars.some of the most ugly watches imo come from wittnauer and some of the "designer" brands.
i have a few lcds that are among my more inexpensive models but are beautifully simple and elegant.

Return to General Discussion