It is currently 12 May 2024, 10:56

Watches with OLED or eInk display! I need information :)

Talk about everything digital watch related and off - topic.
  • Author

stockae92

Techie

Techie

Watches with OLED or eInk display! I need information :)

Post25 Jan 2013, 00:11

I have been a long time Casio (G-Shock) collector, but recently got bitten by the OLED and eInk bug.

Looking for recommendation of which OLED and eInk watch to get?

abem

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Re: Watches with OLED or eInk display! I need information :)

Post25 Jan 2013, 01:55

Greetings,

You might think that the great new display technology that's available would bring about a new crop of excellent, high-quality, high-capability watches with gorgeous displays, but that hasn't happened because modern digitals are not seen as fashionable so there's no market. The smartwatch market may eventually pan out if they can get the size and battery life issues worked out. Most of the existing ones have been too large and ugly to wear but newer efforts like the Pebble seem to finally get it.

Anyhow, in terms of what is available now or in the near future:

OLED:
------
1) Fossil
I recommend the Fossil JR-9464 (leather) and JR-9465 (stainless) OLED watches from back in 2007, if you can find one. The three color OLED displays are nice and bright and the watch features a useful calendar display and a number of fun little animation sequences.

You've probably seen the other models by Diesel, Apus, etc. Unfortunately the displays are a bit small. The Sony smartwatch looks like it has a nice display, but you have to charge it every 3 days. I have a cheap 6 year old Aigo F029, which has a beautiful 1.3" 160x128 pixel display.

E-INK:
-------
1) Pebble
The Pebble just started shipping, so it should become available in the next month or two.
http://getpebble.com/

3) Phosphor
The phosphor watches have been out a while so they're easy to find:
http://www.phosphorwatches.com/World-Ti ... s-s/31.htm

3) CST-01
Most of the neatest e-ink watches are still unreleased prototypes. I like the style of the CST-01 ultrathin watch. Hopefully it will survive:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/165 ... nest-watch

-abe.

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post25 Jan 2013, 19:12

I'm very disappointed about oled.

i have an oled watch who just gave up after 6 months...the screen was getting more dimmer every week, till nothing...still no idea what the problem is.
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

richard_uk

Guru

Guru

Post25 Jan 2013, 23:37

I would never buy another OLED watch, they're all doomed IMO. Loving that e-ink Pebble posted above, I reckon they're going make millions with that watch!

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post26 Jan 2013, 00:28

My two OLED watch modules are now also dead :cry:

cobra007

Techie

Techie

Post26 Jan 2013, 07:01

I recently ordered a Phosphor Touch Time watch, will post a pic once it arrives. I think it's a great looking watch with an unmatched battery life of 1 year. The Pebble is nice and has a lot of features, but do you really want to recharge your watch on a weekly bases???

eink versus oled: eink displays the time without pushing a button, they are easy to read even in bright daylight / direct sunlight. Oled displays are made of all very tiny LEDs that are each not all that bright so the more ambient light, the more difficult it becomes to read the time. I have also heard that Oleds do not last as long as normal silicone LEDs, which proves the above findings from other members.

Michel

stockae92

Techie

Techie

Post27 Jan 2013, 02:06

I saw the Phosphor Touch and tempted to order one as well. It looks very promising.

btw, is OLED display inherently unreliable and easy go south? I wouldn't want to get a watch and found out it won't work after a short while ...

abem

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post27 Jan 2013, 03:02

I think what is being reported is not necessarily a flaw in the OLED technology as much as inexpensive disposable (self-destructing) wristwatch technology.

There is a documented issue with the lifespan of blue OLEDs, but that won't cause the watch to die - the display will just get weaker over time. It's supposed to be on the order of 10 years or so, but I haven't noticed it in my OLED watches yet (~5 years old).

-abe.

AlmightyTallest

Wizard

Wizard

Post28 Jan 2013, 18:35

With OLED's I think it's actually a packaging issue. If the manufacturer's keep the OLED's in a very airtight capsule sandwiched between layers of glass they tend to last longer, but this also costs more to produce. Plastic or thin bendable plastic sandwiched OLED's that don't have good airtight integrity at the edge of the display WILL degrade rapidly. This may explain some of the OLED watch display failures over a short period of time. The OLED technology is extremely fragile and care has to be taken in order to increase the OLED lifetime.

I had the Fossil OLED stainless model a few years ago and had to return it after a week, the display is not nearly as bright as you might think, I had trouble reading the time in a living room that had any sunlight getting through the window, so you'll have to get used to treating the OLED's like you would the vintage 70's LED for readibility in daylight.

In regards to E-ink I belive I have found my perfect watch in the Seiko Spirit EPD. Although the cost is bit higher than the Phosphor and other designs mentioned above, it has the benefit of being easily visible at almost any angle up to 180 degrees, and the look of the watch fits my personal style for looks and utility as a daily wear accurate digital.

stockae92

Techie

Techie

Post29 Jan 2013, 04:56

AlmightyTallest wrote:With OLED's I think it's actually a packaging issue. If the manufacturer's keep the OLED's in a very airtight capsule sandwiched between layers of glass they tend to last longer, but this also costs more to produce. Plastic or thin bendable plastic sandwiched OLED's that don't have good airtight integrity at the edge of the display WILL degrade rapidly. This may explain some of the OLED watch display failures over a short period of time. The OLED technology is extremely fragile and care has to be taken in order to increase the OLED lifetime.

I had the Fossil OLED stainless model a few years ago and had to return it after a week, the display is not nearly as bright as you might think, I had trouble reading the time in a living room that had any sunlight getting through the window, so you'll have to get used to treating the OLED's like you would the vintage 70's LED for readibility in daylight.

In regards to E-ink I belive I have found my perfect watch in the Seiko Spirit EPD. Although the cost is bit higher than the Phosphor and other designs mentioned above, it has the benefit of being easily visible at almost any angle up to 180 degrees, and the look of the watch fits my personal style for looks and utility as a daily wear accurate digital.

BTW, I just read your Lupin limited edition Seiko Spirit EPD, nice review! How do you like it and how does it holding up?

AlmightyTallest

Wizard

Wizard

Post29 Jan 2013, 20:10

Hi stockae92,

The Lupin watch is holding up fine, I've been wearing it every day since I got it in October last year and the only signs of wear are some very hard to see microscratches on the clasp and a few others on the individual links in the band, which can only bee seen in full sunlight if your looking for them, no signs of wear to the crystal surprisingly, it's basically in almost new condition yet. I plan on wearing it for at least the next 10 years to see how it ages, it's very effective at saving power, which is good for the weak winter sun we get here in the northern U.S.

I realise the watch isn't for everyone, but for me it's just perfect in size and weight. I also have the Phosphor E-ink, the older thicker one and found that one to be a great watch also for pure readability and utility, if you can get for under $100 on the auction sites it's definately worth it. Got a lot of comments from co-workers wearing it :D

Here's a photo of my Lupin taken on New Year's this year, my grandfather got a chuckle when he saw it. :-D

stockae92

Techie

Techie

Post29 Jan 2013, 21:28

I am think about the Phosphor touch. It seems like with a "complete package", much more so than the other Phosphor offering.

You review on the on the Seiko Spirit EPD Lupin really got me thinking ... haha. i think that the most from all the Seiko E-ink watch :)

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post29 Jan 2013, 21:42

does the bra comes off when the alarm goes off? M:)W:)M that would be innovating
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

AlmightyTallest

Wizard

Wizard

Post29 Jan 2013, 23:48

lol believe me kasper, when New Year's arrived I was watching VERY intently for just that to happen!!! M:)W:)M Especially when Huertcilla mentioned the King on his EPD sticks out his toungue on New Years.

Also, guys the Phosphor Touch does NOT use an E-ink screen, it's a new memory LCD screen which has much higher contrast than a standard LCD, in order to compete better with E-ink technology. The new LCD screen has the advantage of having a higher refresh rate, but also saves on power more like an E-ink display. My information on this is from an E-mail correspondance with the sales representative Donald from sales@phosphorwatches.com

I just wanted to put that there to make sure you guys are sure you know what your getting before your make a purchase. For more info on these new memory LCD displays check out the video below that explains almost everything you wanted to know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAoC818Mxy4&list=FLUbMa9kEYoLP3_Zlc2nzVPA&index=42

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T5NiPsGMqE&list=FLUbMa9kEYoLP3_Zlc2nzVPA&index=41

cobra007

Techie

Techie

Post30 Jan 2013, 00:42

That is actually quite cool this new LCD technology. I was wondering why the screen seemed to refresh so quickly on the Phosphor touch, but now that explains it! I might even like that better than eink :-) Can't wait for my purchase to come in and check it out!

Michel

AlmightyTallest

Wizard

Wizard

Post30 Jan 2013, 16:00

No problem guys, glad I could show some of the new display technology.

I've never seen these Sharp LCD screens in person, so if anyone gets the new Phosphor Touch, send us photos here to show how it looks. :-D

Return to General Discussion