It is currently 11 May 2024, 13:10

Store LED/LCD watches with batteries or without

Talk about everything digital watch related and off - topic.
  • Author

JohnR

Store LED/LCD watches with batteries or without

Post02 Feb 2013, 15:47

Hello. This is my first post. I have some LED and LCD watches that I don't routinely wear. Do you think I should store those watches with the batteries installed or should I remove the batteries for storage? Thank you!

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Re: Store LED/LCD watches with batteries or without

Post02 Feb 2013, 16:31

Hi John and welcome to the forum.

I always leave the batts in..i love to see all my watches but if you really want to store them away..leave them out. put a little sticker with the batt number on the back for later.
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=5982
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post02 Feb 2013, 16:45

I wear my watches in rotation and also leave the batteries in so they are ready to go but if the watches are not going to be worn and just stored away I would recommend removing the batteries to prevent any potential damage from leaking batteries.

JohnR

Post02 Feb 2013, 18:06

Thank you both for the replies!!! I like to keep my watches displayed - well, "displayed" in a closet my wife and kids call "the museum" :-D - and every once in a while light up the LEDs. Based on your input, I'm leaving the batteries in. Thank you!

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post03 Feb 2013, 23:07

If you have just a dew...a dozen, twenty, maybe, it's probably OK to keep them running. On the other hand, if you have a bunch (as in, 250 or so), then you have to get very selective about which ones stay powered up. I limit that now to just watches I have for sale, a few of the best stainless and goldfilled, and representative examples of the solid gold watches. A while back I realized I was spending nearly $200 a year for batteries, and it was just too many mouths to feed (so to speak). If you're wearing your watches routinely, there's no chance that dead batteries will sit unnoticed for years, so damage from leakage shouldn't be a concern for you.

JohnR

Post05 Feb 2013, 10:55

Thank you Bruce! I can't imagine spending $200 a year on batteries!

I am trying to build a collection with nice examples of unusual and historical LEDs and LCDs because I think this crucial facet of early personal electronic technology has been unfortunately overlooked. Some of my watches I don't wear at all because I don't want to risk damaging them. However, I've decided to leave the batteries in and enjoy occasionally lighting up the LEDs.

Thank you very much for your input and thank you to everyone who participates in this forum!

Return to General Discussion