It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 17:52

Please, we need a remake off....

Talk about everything digital watch related and off - topic.
  • Author

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Please, we need a remake off....

Post07 Mar 2013, 14:33

You all know, i have a lot of watches and yes..i've tried them all on my wrist. I have my favorites..but please tell me:

Which vintage watch do you want to see revived or remaked and WHY?

- these Heuer watches

this one: the shape of the case and how well the flat clean bracelet attach to the case, placement of the buttons (in gold), the detail with the gold bezel on a black background...
imagine now gold digits on a black background offcourse with a small lightlamp on top of the lcd and some light around the analogue part and alarm. PERFECT WATCH.

same as above with some light and alarm

What can i say... :O`~ perfect shape of case, matt stainless, looking sophisticated with so many digits..not to big, not to small, nice placement of buttons. Clever placement of background as it
incapsuls 2 rows of digits and not uses one big lcd screen...difficult to make this one better.

Not so vintage but still...a masterpiece qua shape..incredible nice shape of case and bracelet, the lcd screen that lies a bit deeper so it's protected, nice inlayed buttons...but i don't like the shape of the digits or the
greenish background light (looks cheap chinese stuff), needs white (not grey) digits like the first digital lcd watches on black background ( viewtopic.php?f=58&t=6207 )

So nice, the face of a space invader :-D , timeless design here with solar panels. Speechless, very nice made with the digits at the side. Only thing you could do better here are the buttons on top. These days we would
like to have some touchpanels there. Can you imagine this with black stainless steel and black solor panels and a inverted lcd with real white digits and a small lightbulb just above the digits..perfect.

A semi digital :-D but with a big impact on me..such a lovely design..the shiny silver ufo diskbulb with 3 holes..would love to see this one with digital lcd. And the 3 lightbulbs that not only shine light on the lcd but
also is bright enough to use as a torch. The 3 lights starts flikkering when the alarm goes of. perfect

oooggh..la grande finale, la creme de la creme, one of the purest i know of...i took the pictures of Mr All mightytallest cause i wanted to show the most beautiful ones. A nice big massive case, looks big and strong and
special..cristel white digits on a black background...1972-1973 but still so modern and sophisticated..one button to rule them all :-D i'm really in love.
But we need now...one button to rule the hours/date and the alarm...put some white Tritium vials behind the pure white digits with a deepblack background.

a digital watch needs nice sophisticated digits...not dots digits but full digits, needs a light to see at night...not a green or blue background light but a nice modern micro bulb that give pure white light, needs an alarm so i know when to take my ADHD pills :-D...not the usually beepbeepbeep but a nice deep alarmtone like a chuchbell or the yelling of my wife when she co....woops :-D , no we don't need a chrono..i'm not a sporty guy and there are chronos enough at my running track, we need a nice lcd background that goes with the color of the watch...not a piece of grey tape, and at last...we need DESIGN and QUALITY!! :amen:
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

AlmightyTallest

Wizard

Wizard

Re: Please, we need a remake off....

Post07 Mar 2013, 19:51

Everyone has their favorites, and their own sense of style, so this should be interesting, but the following would be my choices.

That Heuer Chronosplit is my favorite, now replace the origional LCD on it and put in a modern Sharp PNLC on mirror surface display for a very similar look to the vintage DSM displays.

http://www.sharpmemorylcd.com/aboutmemorylcd.html

Polymer Networked Liquid Crystal (PNLC)-type Memory LCD is composed of a PNLC layer formed between a transparent surface electrode and mirror-reflective pixel electrodes. The PNLC module uses a scattering mode and does not require polarizers, which results in a very bright reflective display.
Are we revisiting the past?? It seems Sharp took a page right from the old Dynamic Scattering LCD principal and repackaged it in modern electronics :grin1: 8-)

For the LED part, replace it with the Transflective LCD used in the Omega Z33, keeping the red color and number of digits to the orgional Huer, as well as all of the functions. And a white led light, (same as the Seiko EPD) but on either side of the display to top illuminate for nighttime viewing.

And if it was possible, get Citizen to make their Electrochromic watch with the digit font found in this patent document from 1979. :-D I wouldn't care too much about the style, just would like to see an electrochromic display used in a watch again.

http://www.4shared.com/office/w8gpD_Fe/US4147416_Citizen_Electrochrom.html

I'm flattered you enjoy my Optel photos Kasper, they really look great when the light strikes them just right, but I think Diginut has an example of just how unreadable these DSM's can be at times, which makes me wonder why they never went for the black background like that Sharp calculator Piotr sold lol.

A digital watch needs nice sophisticated digits...not dots digits but full digits, needs a light to see at night...not a green or blue background light but a nice modern micro bulb that give pure white light
:amen:

For me, the Seiko EPD Spirit is the my Holy Grail for modern watches when considiering price and the ability to read the time in a pleasant font, it comes close, as E-paper has it's own modern charm, but I love the more retro display technologies from the 70's.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post08 Mar 2013, 23:40

Kasper wrote:............Which vintage watch do you want to see revived or remaked and WHY?

I would not want any remade, the fact that they are from the 1970's is one of the main reasons that makes them special, these are the watches I collect, the remakes would simply be the one's I go to the shop and purchase and with it all the fun (and frustration) of hoping, searching and waiting for the one that I must find for my collection to become available at the right time and at the right price would be lost, also of the remakes that have been produced so far none has ever quite lived up to expectations.

I would like to see the original 1970's digital watch saved so they continue to work well into the future, if this means keeping them going by replacing some of the original components whilst still retaining the look and feel of the original (a la SASM) I am all for it, I am not a gloom and doom merchant that is going to say that in X amount of years all the original 1970's digital watches will have died and be consigned to history but I am realistic enough to know that nothing is forever and everything does have a shelf life and one day, although maybe not any time soon, it will happen. :-(

Improvements on the original design and function could of course be made but to me the original's perfection lies in it's imperfection, a watch made imperfect in some peoples minds by today's technology because it doesn't perform 621 different functions or tell me when to take my ADHD medication, the original digital is and will always remain so revolutionary and yet so simple!

Kasper wrote:......a digital watch needs nice sophisticated digits...not dots digits but full digits, needs a light to see at night...not a green or blue background light but a nice modern micro bulb that give pure white light, needs an alarm so i know when to take my ADHD pills :-D...not the usually beepbeepbeep but a nice deep alarmtone like a chuchbell or the yelling of my wife when she co....woops :-D , no we don't need a chrono..i'm not a sporty guy and there are chronos enough at my running track, we need a nice lcd background that goes with the color of the watch...not a piece of grey tape, and at last...we need DESIGN and QUALITY!! :amen:

A original 1970's digital watch oozes design, quality and some even have those sexy dot digits, if you really want all the other functions/features why not follow the crowd and get yourself an iphone ;-) At least that way you would still be able to wear your original 1970's digital watch. ;-) :amen:

Nice photo's Kasper :mega:

jagmad

Guru

Guru

Post11 Apr 2013, 20:46

bucko170 wrote:
Kasper wrote:............Which vintage watch do you want to see revived or remaked and WHY?

I would not want any remade, the fact that they are from the 1970's is one of the main reasons that makes them special, these are the watches I collect, the remakes would simply be the one's I go to the shop and purchase and with it all the fun (and frustration) of hoping, searching and waiting for the one that I must find for my collection to become available at the right time and at the right price would be lost, also of the remakes that have been produced so far none has ever quite lived up to expectations.

I would like to see the original 1970's digital watch saved so they continue to work well into the future, if this means keeping them going by replacing some of the original components whilst still retaining the look and feel of the original (a la SASM) I am all for it, I am not a gloom and doom merchant that is going to say that in X amount of years all the original 1970's digital watches will have died and be consigned to history but I am realistic enough to know that nothing is forever and everything does have a shelf life and one day, although maybe not any time soon, it will happen. :-(

Improvements on the original design and function could of course be made but to me the original's perfection lies in it's imperfection, a watch made imperfect in some peoples minds by today's technology because it doesn't perform 621 different functions or tell me when to take my ADHD medication, the original digital is and will always remain so revolutionary and yet so simple!

Kasper wrote:......a digital watch needs nice sophisticated digits...not dots digits but full digits, needs a light to see at night...not a green or blue background light but a nice modern micro bulb that give pure white light, needs an alarm so i know when to take my ADHD pills :-D...not the usually beepbeepbeep but a nice deep alarmtone like a chuchbell or the yelling of my wife when she co....woops :-D , no we don't need a chrono..i'm not a sporty guy and there are chronos enough at my running track, we need a nice lcd background that goes with the color of the watch...not a piece of grey tape, and at last...we need DESIGN and QUALITY!! :amen:

A original 1970's digital watch oozes design, quality and some even have those sexy dot digits, if you really want all the other functions/features why not follow the crowd and get yourself an iphone ;-) At least that way you would still be able to wear your original 1970's digital watch. ;-) :amen:

Nice photo's Kasper :mega:

+1 :amen:
"I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member" Julius Henry Marx

"If necessity is the mother of invention, then mother is now standing at the door calling us in to do our home work"

IF YOUR MOBILE PHONE OR SMART WATCH DOESN'T NEED CHARGING AT LEAST EVERY WEEK YOU EITHER...
A. HAVE NO LIFE/FRIENDS. OR NEED FOR ONE.
B. YOU NEED TO SWITCH IT ON.

richard_uk

Guru

Guru

Post11 Apr 2013, 21:48

The Tag Chronosplit GMT was kinda remade, there was replicas of it knocking about a few years ago.

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Synchronar legacy

Post12 Apr 2013, 05:26

Hey Kasper, recognize the synchronar? :grin1:

Looks like you found a photo of my Synchronar IV legacy edition. I shot these for Howard many years ago. Here are the rest:

I tired a different strap also:

Cheers, Geoff

Return to General Discussion