It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 17:58

The man who thought he invented the watch cellphone...

Talk about everything digital watch related and off - topic.
  • Author

your_man_in_Hamburg

Techie

Techie

The man who thought he invented the watch cellphone...

Post12 Aug 2013, 18:38

Hi all,

A recent number of the German news magazine Der Spiegel (nr. 13, 2013, http://www.spiegel.de) included an article on how Kai Diekmann, head of the German Bild magazine (http://www.bild.de), had changed after moving to Silicon Valley. From being a dyed in the whool newsPAPER man, he had apparently turned into a first rate internet-hugger. He was also really enthusiastic about the dynamic business climate in the valley.

As a (mediocre) digital watch idiot savant, I found one part of the article very revealing and funny. Diekmann tells the author of the article that just about everybody in the Silicon Valley dreams about having that ground-breaking idea that would be the next big hit on the net, or next best-selling gadget, or similar. The problem is that the Silicon Valley is jam-packed with bright, industrious persons, so you (almost) always find that someone beats you to it. When you hear about someone turning YOUR idea into a product or service, you are close to shooting yourself, according to Diekmann. His own almost-blew-my-head-away-in-Silicon-Valley moment came when he heard that Apple is working on a wrist watch with an integrated cellphone.

Hm. Dick Tracy was equipped with such a device back in 1946, and could enjoy video phone calls as early as 1964 (according to the English wikipedia page about this cartoon character), AND there have already been some shots at producing such a device (though, without video).

I wonder what other "great ideas" Diekmann has come up with...

Cheers

your_man_in_Hamburg

Techie

Techie

Re: The man who thought he invented the watch cellphone...

Post13 Aug 2013, 20:52

I forgot one funny detail.

One of the selling points for the watch cellphone was that "everybody wear a watch anyway".

Cheers

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Re: The man who thought he invented the watch cellphone...

Post16 Aug 2013, 09:38

You would think that a former head of a newspaper would be on top of things. It always reminds me how far away big executive bosses are from whats going on in the world and living in their Ivory Tower. If money starts to talk, they lose grip on reality.
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

Return to General Discussion