It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:23

Automatic customs charges.

Talk about everything digital watch related and off - topic.
  • Author

Mr Frequency 32768hz

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Automatic customs charges.

Post09 Dec 2013, 19:14

I guess many collectors have noticed over the last couple of months eBay has introduced an automatic import duty deduction upon check out on some auctions.
Is this down to the seller adding this options. I'm sure this will stop many international bidders from bidding.

For example i would of been tempted at this lot if there wasn't $173 to be added.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/all-NOS-vintage-OMEGA-inventory-movements-620-485-Boxes-manuals-longines-digitaL-/350950327953?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item51b6450691#ht_57wt_1163

fronzelneekburm

Guru

Guru

Re: Automatic customs charges.

Post09 Dec 2013, 20:19

Mr Frequency 32768hz wrote:I guess many collectors have noticed over the last couple of months eBay has introduced an automatic import duty deduction upon check out on some auctions.
Is this down to the seller adding this options. I'm sure this will stop many international bidders from bidding.

For example i would of been tempted at this lot if there wasn't $173 to be added.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/all-NOS-vintage-OMEGA-inventory-movements-620-485-Boxes-manuals-longines-digitaL-/350950327953?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item51b6450691#ht_57wt_1163

Yeah, while on the one side this speeds up customs stuff in some cases it can also generate unnecessary fees. I have often had stuff "go through customs unseen" even though it would have costed fees, but at least in Germany they generally don't care so much if the customs fee is "just a few euro". Guess in that case the fee would be less than the work involved, so not really economic. Some parcels they simply "missed" even though they were quite expensive...

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post09 Dec 2013, 20:23

Yes, i noticed it to. I had a big argue with a seller from the states who sent me the automatic customs price + his normal fee for transportation. After several days of explaining to him + phonecalls to ebay support, he admitted to me he was wrong and wanted to sent me 2 extra vintage digital watches for all the fuzz and helping explaining it to him.

Still waiting for those 2 watches after several promises from him. Now i'm fet up with him.

His name Dynamicwatch

Here it starts:
1 sept 2013
Hi
1- Normally I don't combine shipping. But since you purchased 3 different order, the shipping cost of $105 dollar is unfair. I will however charge you $45 for shipping.
2- I will put the description on the receipt as you requested.
Thanks
- dynamicwatch

that was looking good..he combined shipmentcosts but forgot the cost were already in the cost for the items..so i still paid 45 dollar to much
next he discovered there was a invoice problem so he wanted to give me 60$ back after i paid him 105 dollar for 3 different item instead of 1 combined

Hi,
It won't allow me to send invoice. This is the message:
Send Invoice to Buyer
"Error
Warning
you can't send invoice for this order
The item(s) will ship using the Global Shipping Program. As part of the program, buyer directly pays international shipping and import charges to the third-party shipping provider. The buyer will still be able to complete checkout even if you don't send an invoice. "

You need to make the full payment through paypal and then I refund you $60
Thanks
- dynamicwatch

then i'm trying to explain to him that he already had the shipmentcost cause it's already in the price....after 5 times back and forth he understands.
I'm not quoting his arguments that he has a reputation and all his costumners were satisfied and i have to sent back the goods etc etc...blablabla without even listening to me.

at 10 september and a few mails, he tells me ebay is lying.

Hi,
Ebay has "misinformed" you and you can take my email to them and show them. I have no arrangement with anyone regarding shipping an item. It is out of sellers hand. It is only buyer who can decide. I charge $35 for shipping to outside the US. This arrangement was not made by me or under my control. The arrangement was made by ebay itself and has nothing to do with the seller.
As you saw in my invoice, I got only paid $30 (3 x $10) because my item went to US. If Ebay is telling you I arranged that, Ebay is lying to you. I did not arrange for anything. In fact I couldn't even send you an invoice because it was automatically per-arranged.
The last thing I want is to piss off a customer to get a negative feedback. But I swear to god and the life of my daughter that ebay id lying to you!
- dynamicwatch

he still doesn't understand then suddenly ...he does understand :-D same day 10 september

Hi,
I was just on the phone with them for the last half an hour. They are telling me that since I am selling at Ebay, they have the right to switch agreement at anytime and in this case, use a global shipping company w/o my authorization. I send watches to oversee all the time and I never, ever, used this system. In fact when I saw the shipping address in KY, I thought you arranged it to be sent to US to your relatives.
I am very sorry this happen to you. I HATE EBAY. My daughter have cancer and I decided to sell my watch collection to sell for her chemo. So far, I lost
money selling on ebay than what I originally paid. Ebay charge me 10%, paypal charge me another 5%, and twice I send expensive watches to Italy and customer said they've never received and I ended up losing money. I HATE EBAY and I hope they all burn in hell.
I am sorry for what happened here to you. I can give you a watches to compensate. I am sorry. I HATE EBAY.
- dynamicwatch

oke..now i get an excuse...and is telling me that his daughter is sick etc and he wants to compensate me with 2 watches

on 14 september
I haven't forgotten about you. I am sending you pic of some watches. Also send you a free one that I think you will Like. It is made by Sanyo and it is in real good condition (not the one I had in auction)
- dynamicwatch

never saw a picture

2 days later
No worries. I'll send you few nice watches b/c you were quite fair to me and extremely honest. I'll make you happy. I will ship it to you by Tue.
Thank you.
- dynamicwatch

the 18 september he shows me 2 puictures of the watches and asks if its oke for me..i say it's no problem and thansk

the 5th oktober i asks where the watches are and he say to me that he sented it 3 weeks before....never saw anything

15 oktober
Hi,
Sorry, but I had your package back here. Can you please verify your address so I can resend it. Sorry for all the delay.
- dynamicwatch

17 november after me asking about the 2 watches
I have two Sanyo V. One that I have listed and another unit that I am suppose to send you.
I am guilty for being late. I sent the first unit and came back to me for wrong address. Since then, I did not sent your unit again and I am guilty for that. I will however make sure, by all mean, to send the pulsar and Sanyo watch before Friday and provide you with tracking #.
I am really really sorry again
Thanks
- dynamicwatch

never saw a trackingnumber or anything else.
This was my last message to him on 29 november

Wait, "before friday"...this week, next week, next year?
Sorry Friend, i think you are a great story teller..i'm losing my patients here. And you call yourself a honest digital watch collector?

The strange part is that he knows who i am, so i really don't understand why he is fooling around with me. I must pay him a nice visit when i'm touring trough the states :-D
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post09 Dec 2013, 21:03

I have also not been charged for every package that I should have but on the other hand I have also been over-charged for packages when customs have decided that the currency is in UK pounds (and not dollars) or customs have misread the value written on the package. :-(

The automatic charges are off putting and they have stopped me from bidding on some items - at least with the old system you could live in hope until the package arrived!

I have also been charged additional money even when I have pre-paid the custom fees, I cannot remember exactly what the charge was for, maybe it was a handling fee or the VAT?

Handling fee? What exactly is that? Aren't I already paying them to 'handle' my package when I pay the postage? How do they normally deliver the post if they don't handle it, with their feet? Judging by the state of some of the packages that could be a distinct possibility. :roll:

PG101

Techie

Techie

Post09 Dec 2013, 22:56

I'm so glad this topic has come up...

In August, admittedly against my better judgement, I decided to buy something from an American seller, who's father used to make some solar-powered, driver-styled watches in the 70's, and the auction had this new Global shipping system, with pre-calculated import/Tax costs.
I figured, at least this way, I was guaranteed to receive my parcel, seeing as the courier was FedEx. I had to grin and bear the fact that the shipping cost was almost the same cost as the item itself.
Anyway, the parcel arrived in my country 3 days later!! Fantastic? Not really.
I was informed by FedEx that I needed an import permit before customs would release the parcel. This is not my business, its a hobby, so I arranged for a temporary import permit, as a once-off, at my cost of course.
A week later, I'm informed that the permit has been rejected, because it was issued after the parcel had arrived!!
So...off to the police station to get a sworn affidavit as to why the permit was dated late, and all the information re-sent to FedEx. I was told that the parcel would be released within the week. Bearing in mind this whole process has taken me about a week to organise.

So I hear nothing for 2 weeks! And after numerous phone calls, and delays...fast forward to 17 November, close to 4 months later!
I eventually get told by a manager that he'll arrange for my parcel to be released, and what do you know, the next day I get a phone call to say my parcel is ready to be collected! Sweet!
AFTER I pay a $90 fee to the state warehouse, for holding my parcel for 3 months!!

Needless to say, some choice words were uttered, and eventually, FedEx agreed to fit the bill.
So yes, for me, this new system has stopped me from bidding on items that offer Global shipping!

charger105

Guru

Guru

Post10 Dec 2013, 06:38

I've noticed that shipping prices from the US have increased astronomically. I basically don't bid on US items anymore.
I believe it is true that Sellers are generally unaware of the third party arrangement that Ebay has made for them.
A few months back, I 'won' something from the US(can't remember what) that had a $45 shipping fee. The seller was totally unaware of this.
He got $10 and shipped it to a shipping company(Pitney Bowes) in Kentucky. As far as he knew, it was just a dometic shipment. The other $35 went to the shipping company for shipment from them to me. I'm pretty sure it was 2 separate Paypal transactions. It caused a lot of confusion for everyone !

I'm guessing that the default International shipping option on Ebay.com uses the above mechanism. A few US listings still have reasonable shipping prices, so it must be possible to opt out of this arrangement. Your average seller probably doesn't know how, or couldn't be bothered.

Rgds.

cobra007

Techie

Techie

Post10 Dec 2013, 08:45

Interesting, I have never heard of this! So what exactly is the deal here? The custom's fees are added to the shipping fees, meaning I just pay for the item + shipping fee and there are no further charges or do I still get more charges after the item was purchased?

Michel

charger105

Guru

Guru

Post10 Dec 2013, 09:32

We don't pay any customs or import duty or GST for internet purchases in Australia (under $1k), so that part of the new 'Global Shipping' scheme doesn't affect us. From what I can tell, it's just the outrageous shipping charges that we experience !

When you win the auction, you get two invoices from memory. One for the Seller, and one for Pitney Bowes. Or maybe it's one invoice, and when you go to Paypal to pay, it automatically directs the money to the 2 recipients. I remember it was kinda hidden, and I had to dig a bit to figure out who got what.
Rgds.

cobra007

Techie

Techie

Post10 Dec 2013, 09:41

charger105 wrote:We don't pay any customs or import duty or GST for internet purchases in Australia (under $1k), so that part of the new 'Global Shipping' scheme doesn't affect us. From what I can tell, it's just the outrageous shipping charges that we experience !

When you win the auction, you get two invoices from memory. One for the Seller, and one for Pitney Bowes. Or maybe it's one invoice, and when you go to Paypal to pay, it automatically directs the money to the 2 recipients. I remember it was kinda hidden, and I had to dig a bit to figure out who got what.
Rgds.

Lucky us!! :grin1:

And what if we sell something? Suppose I sell a watch to someone in Europe, do they then get charged for things I am not aware of?

Michel

charger105

Guru

Guru

Post10 Dec 2013, 10:22

I don't think so. Just the normal import duties they always pay.
As far as I know, this Global Shipping through PBI is just for US Sellers.

On reflection, maybe Pitney Bowes(PBI) is charging us Australians import duty, even though we shouldn't be paying it ? Maybe this is why the shipping charges are suddenly so astronomical ?
I forgot to mention that PBI also re-package the item. Once it receives the package from the Seller, it 're-packages' the item (generally very poorly) to presumably make it cheaper to ship and also to inspect for customs calculation.
My item was a fully boxed non-working Pulsar calculator. When it arrived it was a complete shambles...........all the different items (box insert, stylus, watch itself, box) floating around in a cardboad box.

This guy's not happy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijmdVlQ36-w
He explains what happens from 10:55.

Rgds.
Last edited by charger105 on 10 Dec 2013, 11:04, edited 1 time in total.

charger105

Guru

Guru

Post10 Dec 2013, 11:01

Sorry to be hogging this thread, but I've just done a little experiment.
It looks like us Aussies aren't being charged import duties, which is how it should be. We are however still being charged outrageous shipping rates for a sub-standard service. I'd hate to be paying the import duties on top !!
Out of interest, I wonder how/if PBI sends the import duties to an overseas government ?

So, same item, an HP-01 with a $900 BIN price:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hewlett-Pack ... 35cef64c7c

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231105514620? ... 26_rdc%3D1

Aussies pay $88.60 delivery charges. :scratch:
Brits pay $47.98 delivery + $255.91 import charges. :eek:
Rgds.

cobra007

Techie

Techie

Post10 Dec 2013, 11:31

charger105 wrote:Sorry to be hogging this thread, but I've just done a little experiment.
It looks like us Aussies aren't being charged import duties, which is how it should be. We are however still being charged outrageous shipping rates for a sub-standard service. I'd hate to be paying the import duties on top !!
Out of interest, I wonder how/if PBI sends the import duties to an overseas government ?

So, same item, an HP-01 with a $900 BIN price:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hewlett-Pack ... 35cef64c7c

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231105514620? ... 26_rdc%3D1

Aussies pay $88.60 delivery charges. :scratch:
Rgds.

Wow, that certainly makes a big difference! But indeed, the shipping charges to AU are a bit on the high side too. I sometimes arrange the shipping myself if the seller agrees for a local pick-up. Then book it through Interparcel or ship2anywhere.

Michel

PG101

Techie

Techie

Post10 Dec 2013, 11:38

charger105 wrote: Out of interest, I wonder how/if PBI sends the import duties to an overseas government ?

From my incident it seems, PBI hands over to an independent courier (In my case FedEx) who is responsible for settling the tax, and customs fees with our revenue service (which is directly linked to customs' system anyway).

charger105 wrote: So, same item, an HP-01 with a $900 BIN price:

Rgds.

I'm from South Africa, but registered with UK Ebay, so this is exactly what I'd be paying. The same item ends up costing +$300 more, and this is excluding the cost of import permits and tax (which is 14% here).
Crazy!

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post10 Dec 2013, 23:37

look here :evil:
i did a bid on this one. 8.99 us dollars tramsportcosts

now i click on it...look now : 26.19 dollar transpostcosts ????????????????????????????????????????????????????

what is going on here??
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

- Kasper -

cobra007

Techie

Techie

Post11 Dec 2013, 01:09

Kasper wrote:look here :evil:
i did a bid on this one. 8.99 us dollars tramsportcosts

now i click on it...look now : 26.19 dollar transpostcosts ????????????????????????????????????????????????????

what is going on here??

That's ridiculous Kasper! Seems like he has changed the postage costs while the listing was active, although, I don't think you can actually do that if someone has placed a bid already... :scratch:

Michel

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post11 Dec 2013, 13:27

Kasper wrote:..............look here :evil: what is going on here??

Did you check the postage costs to your country before bidding? I wonder if the first screen grab shows the postage costs for local delivery and the second one has automatically adjusted to show the postage costs to Belgium once your bid had been placed.

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post11 Dec 2013, 13:45

Normally it automatically shows the correct costs to belgium cause i'm logging on with Ebay belgium. So it's the first time i see that there is a difference. And i would notice it when it was differend.

- Kasper -

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post11 Dec 2013, 15:55

Kasper wrote:Normally it automatically shows the correct costs.

Normally yes but not on every occasion. :-(

Some auctions carry a selectable drop down list of countries that they ship to, if you change the country that you want the item shipped to then the change is automatically carried through to all subsequent auctions, so if you have previously decided to have a watch posted to the USA and selected this option on the drop down list eBay will remember this and automatically display the postage costs to the USA (that you previously selected) on all other items that you view.

Sorry - but I don't think the seller is at fault on this occasion.

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post11 Dec 2013, 16:14

no, it 's not the sellers fault. He can not see the extra charging money i have to pay...he only sees the 8.99 dollar that he asks for shipment...strange.

- Kasper -

Seiko&Casio Lcd's

Wizard

Wizard

Post11 Dec 2013, 21:31

I have had 2 packages opened by "ebay" upon the way to the netherlands.
There was a card inside that explained that the item had to be checked before leaving the US, it was very badly packed again, just like the man in the youtube link (provided by Charger105) said.
And yes, i had to pay customs for these watches, the prices were stated in the auctions.
It makes me hesitant to buy from someone in the states now :-(

jagmad

Guru

Guru

Post30 Jan 2014, 20:50

Hi all spent 22 mins on the phone to ebay today trying to sort another problem out,
when this subject came up. The guy told me that he was hearing a lot of complaints
about this system and he was going to send my concerns to the relevant dept,
and was going to get more of his colleagues to do the same.
apparently if there are enough complaints/points made it gets bought up at the next powwow.

Hey and guess what the guy asked me about a digital watch he was thinking of getting.
Of course I pointed him it this general direction. Oooops Bit of Monty Python again.
Stop it, stop it, stop it. M:)W:)M
"I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member" Julius Henry Marx

"If necessity is the mother of invention, then mother is now standing at the door calling us in to do our home work"

IF YOUR MOBILE PHONE OR SMART WATCH DOESN'T NEED CHARGING AT LEAST EVERY WEEK YOU EITHER...
A. HAVE NO LIFE/FRIENDS. OR NEED FOR ONE.
B. YOU NEED TO SWITCH IT ON.

Timecollector

Techie

Techie

Post01 Feb 2014, 02:13

It sure sounds like you guys are talking about the option: Global Shipping Program in the US. Every auction I have used and sold internationally, I "Uncheck" that box and select my own intl shipping options. My sold items have gone directly from my home to theirs with no middle man involved. This Global Shipping Program sounds like it is making abit of a mess with Intl shipping. I won't use them and have shipped several intl items that only took 2-3 days without issue via FEDEX Priority INTL. My buyers have never mentioned any taxes or fees to me after the fact. It sounds that EBay is making it alot more complicated for some intl buyers but have made it simple for US sellers not wanting to mess with INTl shipping options themselves. I won't use that service. It sounds like the more fingers involved in shipping the worse the experience. IMHO

Here is what the Glodal Shipping option states on their link:

Caption from the Optional Global shipping Program:

When your item sells, you simply ship it to the US shipping center in Kentucky—the ship-to address is provided automatically.
•Once the item arrives at the center, the Global Shipping Program takes it from there—completes customs forms, remits import charges pre-paid by your buyer, and ships the item on to your buyer, complete with international tracking.
•If you prefer, you can easily customize your settings and ship directly to buyers in a specific country using your own preferred shipping method instead of the Global Shipping Program.

Follow these best practices to win global customers

When you list
•Specify the package’s weight and
dimensions, plus the item’s country of
origin (if known), in your listing to help
produce the most accurate quote for
buyers upon checkout.
•Include international sizes for clothing and provide measurements in metric units.
•Specify any international voltage, plug, or format compatibility information for electronics and for CDs, DVDs, and video games.
•Use straightforward language and avoid
slang—it’s easier for your international buyers to understand and translate.
•Make it clear in your listing that it may take a day longer to respond to buyers in different time zones.
•If you accept international returns, remember to specify your international returns policy when you list.
When you ship
•Ship the item to the US shipping center immediately—within 24 hours of cleared payment.
•To expedite customs processing at the US shipping center, include the country of origin (if you weren’t able to provide it at the time of listing) and order reference number on the inside of the package (if the order number is not on the label).
•Ship all the items in an order in one package. Package multiple orders (either belonging to the same buyer or different buyers) in separate boxes, each with its own tracking number.
•Use a box that’s just slightly larger than your item. Use enough bubble wrap, raffia, peanuts, foam, or paper all around the item so that the item doesn’t shift when the box is moved.
•Tape the opening of the box and reinforce all seams.
•Use clear or brown packaging tape, reinforced packing tape, or paper tape that is at least 2 inches wide. Don’t use masking tape, cellophane tape, cord, string, or twine—it’s not strong enough.
•If you’re reusing a box, cover any previous labels or cross out any old and unnecessary information with a thick black marker.
Next

Return to General Discussion