It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:54

Finally, A new Pulsar LED module replacement from the USA

Talk about everything digital watch related and off - topic.
  • Author

Phasar66

Wizard

Wizard

Finally, A new Pulsar LED module replacement from the USA

Post15 Mar 2014, 22:11

What do you think about this guys
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Timecollector

Techie

Techie

Re: Finally, A new Pulsar LED module replacement from the US

Post16 Mar 2014, 00:47

I hope Bruce does well with them and they become a great USA available replacement. This has been needed for a long time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

retrowrist

Wizard

Wizard

Post16 Mar 2014, 01:04

Is this Bruce Weggman selling these? Are they a new module circuitry? Sorry if I sound a little out of place, but I was not aware Bruce did wire bonding type of work.

Thank you,

- Patrick

Timecollector

Techie

Techie

Post16 Mar 2014, 01:08

retrowrist wrote:Is this Bruce Weggman selling these? Are they a new module circuitry? Sorry if I sound a little out of place, but I was not aware Bruce did wire bonding type of work.

Thank you,

- Patrick

Yes, that is Bruce selling them and he will have to chime in but I recall him talking about a partnership of sorts when making these.

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post16 Mar 2014, 11:35

The lion's share of the credit for this goes to my friend Glen, who designed
the circuit and did the chip programming. My job was to make sure it
did exactly what it was supposed to...nothing more or less. Getting
the display and setting functions correct (with all the ideosyncracies
of the originals) took the biggest fraction of the development time.
The first correct working prototypes were completed last July, and we
have had one "in the field" now for eight months with no problems, so,
unless something totally unpredictable pops up, we are calling this
"done". There is no reason I can think of that these should have
a functional lifetime shorter than the originals (hopefully, much longer,
since the basic components are made to much higher standards of
quality than anything available in the 70s). On the Western side of the
Atlantic, at least, I think we have the upper hand...I just hope the public
agrees with me...lol.
Actually, there is NO wire-bonding work involved with these...that would
just be to duplicate the mistakes made by Electro-Data on the 25-chip
original P1 modules. It's all state-of-the-art surface-mount tech. I'm not
exactly sure when this technology became a cottage industry, but, with
the correct equipment, one can get very good results, indeed. If there is
a good response, the P4 replacement is a good possibility. For the foreseeable
future, I have no plans to extend these efforts beyond the Time Computer
modules (but, I see no reason to rule anything out...it's usually best to keep all
options open). In any case, I did not want to make any announcement until the
project was on solid ground and absolutely market-ready.

charger105

Guru

Guru

Post16 Mar 2014, 13:22

Hi Bruce.
Looks like a real nice product.
Is that a light sensor to the lower right of the display ?
What sort of battery life are you expecting ?
I notice no QC or trimmer ? The other aftermarket modules I've seen have used an external oscillator circuit (not the onboard oscillator). Has this chip got a better than usual oscillator ?

Rgds,
Andrew.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post16 Mar 2014, 13:26

I do not see anything here that Hanno is not already offering and the SASM modules retain the look of the original module a lot better, the SASM modules can be purchased with additional added features but also with just the original functions, whichever is preferred. I do remember how much against the idea of a replacement module Bruce was when Hanno first introduced them - funny how attitudes change!

Timecollector

Techie

Techie

Post16 Mar 2014, 15:54

bucko170 wrote:I do not see anything here that Hanno is not already offering

Well then, stick with Hanno. :scratch:

For us state side folks, its a great alternative for sure. And personally, I really don't care what has been said in the past. It is nothing more then a business proposition. He may not embrace aftermarket modules for himself personally, but he knows there is a business market for them.

nipper1

Post16 Mar 2014, 16:04

nothing here that hanno has not done years ago so not much of a break though :amen: . a lot more models to be got from hanno .plus hes a pleasure to deal with .NEVER LET ME DOWN :-D
so I don't know why this is the header .Finally, A new Pulsar LED module replacement from the USA. M:)W:)M

gweiler

Post16 Mar 2014, 17:48

Ah, my first post. I'm the Glen that Bruce referenced in the earlier post. I suppose I could put my two cents (US) into the discussion. The battery life should be reasonably good as the unit only consumes about 900 nA when the display is not lit.
The original used about 5uA with the display off. Most of the power consumption is during display time so battery life is really predicated by how often you read the display.

Yes, we used the internal 32 KHz oscillator. The lower transistor looking thing on the left side of the board is actually a thermal sensor so we dynamically adjust the oscillator to compensate for external temperature drift over a -40 C to +85C range. I did not use an external tuning capacitor because anything mechanical is subject to drift or being set incorrectly. When the boards are made, each board is calibrated and set with the correct crystal compensation curve. We used the tightest specced crystals we could get so crystal aging should be < +-3 ppm/year. If necessary, we can recalibrate the watch just like the original. Send it back to us for recalibration.

Yes, we know Hanno gives you a settings menu do it yourself. We did not implement any menus as the original watch did not have them nor did the average user have the means to adjust the internal cap. We feel that if you were happy with the way your original worked you'd be happy with the way ours works too.

Yes, that is a light sensor down and to the right of the display. The unit does auto dim as the original did,

All our effort was placed on a faithful replication of the original watch movements functionality. Now, as to the look of the module. We made no effort at all to duplicate the appearance of the original module as we are not trying to "Clone", "Fake" or otherwise do anything beyond giving people an opportunity to render a non working watch functional once again. If you think about it, once you change any part of an original module, it isn't an original module any more. Show of hands, how many of you remember the Volkswagon Beetles with the Rolls Royce front ends? Ok, how many of you thought you bought a Rolls Royce?

When in a case, the watch movement is virtually indistinguishable from an original when used. Yes, if you look through the crystal you will instantly recognize that it is not an original movement. As stated above our intention is simply to give people an opportunity to get their non-functional watch working again. We also give people an opportunity to replace their working original movement with a less expensive alternative for day to day wear thus saving their original module for when it counts should they decide to part with it for whatever reason. Most original watches were sold in the US. It stands to reason that a source of replacement modules in the US makes business sense too. Nothing sinister, just business.

Oh yeah, if anyone is curious as to what processor is being used we didn't black out the number. It is a PIC24F16KA102. I'd be more than happy to answer any questions anyone has.

Let's stay out of the Hanno conversation please. I don't know him nor have I had any dealings with him and have no interest in discussing the relative merits of his products verses ours. If you're happy with his offerings then please just use him. Refer your friends to him if you wish. Supply and demand sets the market success of any business. Bruce thinks there is a US market so I've helped him find out thats true.

If you simply want a module that works, and is available in the States you simply now have an option.

Glen
It's always darkest before pitch black

Timecollector

Techie

Techie

Post16 Mar 2014, 18:17

Nice write up Glen. Are you and Bruce going to assign a part# or designator to the particular modules? Like B & G modules or USAP2 USAP3 ? That way we all know who's modules are in repaired watches when they surface on ebay or elsewhere.

gweiler

Post16 Mar 2014, 19:24

Not a big fan of lots of different part numbers. We currently make one module. It mimics the P2/P3. As was stated in another post ours does not look like the original or any other competitors modules. We don't believe that there should be much confusion in the marketplace. There is a marking on the back of the circuit board in large white letters that say GBW. You could, I suppose, refer to this module as the original GBW or GBW23 module. As Bruce said, we may offer a P4 module at some point. That might become a GBW4 if appropriate. :)

We really encourage everyone to be ethical and announce in any sale of a watch that contains one of our modules that it is not an original watch and that it contains a contemporary replacement module. It's important that people be aware that they are not purchasing an original watch if a replacement module is in it. To do less is to weaken the value of the collectors market.

In my opinion, to advertise and sell a watch with a replacement module in it as an original is an act of fraud, plain and simple. The value of an original watch is in the fact that you own or are buying a piece of history. The original electronics are nothing special in any real sense, certainly not in the context of whats available now. All of the value is coincident with it's placement in time. If you have an original watch with a working module you own something unique and special. If you don't want to place your original module at risk in day to day wear you now have the option of placing a reproduction (whether that module is from Hanno, the guy in Britain, or us) in your case while protecting the value of your working original module. Bruce and I are of the opinion that the value of an original case with a replacement module in it is equal to the value of the original case plus the value of the replacement module, not the value of an original. It is, of course, up to you whether you agree with that viewpoint. I would suggest that integrity is one thing that we start off with when we're born. It is the currency we can save or waste at our own discretion.

Glen

Timecollector

Techie

Techie

Post16 Mar 2014, 19:48

gweiler wrote: There is a marking on the back of the circuit board in large white letters that say GBW. You could, I suppose, refer to this module as the original GBW or GBW23 module. As Bruce said, we may offer a P4 module at some point. That might become a GBW4 if appropriate. :

Glen

Simple enough. Works for me. :Hi:

Brightlightredlight

Geek

Geek

Post16 Mar 2014, 20:38

I hope Bruce does well with the modules too. Looks like a good product with plenty of thought put into it. Also he has tested it for several months and it seems to be functioning quite well. I would have no problem buying one. At least no more waiting more than a year or wondering if your old module that was sent in for repair elsewhere got there, only to have it not work when it gets back to you. :bang: Way to go Bruce. I hope this business venture of yours works out for you. Thanks for looking out for us Pulsar owners in the States. :grin1:

gweiler

Post16 Mar 2014, 20:55

Our goal is to ship a working module within one day of receipt of your non-working dead module.

It is best to use your existing module because it is already sort of tuned to your case. It's the easiest for us to use your watch/case because of this and we know it is working when we send it back to you! If you don't have a non working dead module we charge an additional $20 to cover the cost of the LED, carrier and switches.

As an incentive, we would be willing to supply a working module in exchange for 7 non working modules (must be complete with reed switches, circuit board (P2/P3) and carrier). The only parts we reuse at this time are the switches and LED's.

Glen

nipper1

Post16 Mar 2014, 20:56

Timecollector wrote:
bucko170 wrote:I do not see anything here that Hanno is not already offering

Well then, stick with Hanno. :scratch:

For us state side folks, its a great alternative for sure. And personally, I really don't care what has been said in the past. It is nothing more then a business proposition. He may not embrace aftermarket modules for himself personally, but he knows there is a business market for them.

funny how things change when he can see money to be made . he was dead against having these modules in his watches but ok for others now lol

gweiler

Post16 Mar 2014, 22:07

I noticed that I did not reply to the quartz crystal question. There is a QC to the immediate right of the microprocessor. It's simply tiny. But there is a QC on the board. I don't use the internal oscillator for time reference.

Glen

Phasar66

Wizard

Wizard

Post16 Mar 2014, 22:19

Well, 3 sold in 24hrs. way to go Glen. It was about time a replacement made in the USA, the land of the LED And the Time Computer watch became a reality.
Took 2 brains to made this happen, can't wait to get my hands on one.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post16 Mar 2014, 23:05

Timecollector wrote:......Well then, stick with Hanno. :scratch:

Yes I will be sticking with the proven modules from Hanno, no reason for me to go anywhere else, all the SASM modules that I have purchased have worked perfectly (and are still working now, years later), the service has been faultless, delivery has always been very prompt and Hanno is a pleasure to deal with and whilst I have never needed to use it the guarantee is reassuring to have.

Timecollector wrote:...... For us state side folks, its a great alternative for sure.

Nothing wrong with having alternatives, other than being a satisfied customer I have no connections with the SASM business but as a satisfied customer I would like to point out that the SASM modules are available in the USA (and Canada) - see here for details - http://www.strikesandspares.de/com/sp.htm

gweiler

Post16 Mar 2014, 23:06

Thanks Ishmail!

They are now all gone! We've also sold some offline. So it'll be a few days before we stick some more up! Thanks guys! This is very interesting to me not being a collector it's been very hard for me to get my head around the potential market.

Glen

Timecollector

Techie

Techie

Post17 Mar 2014, 00:13

bucko170 wrote:
Timecollector wrote:...... For us state side folks, its a great alternative for sure.

Nothing wrong with having alternatives, other than being a satisfied customer I have no connections with the SASM business but as a satisfied customer I would like to point out that the SASM modules are available in the USA (and Canada) - see here for details - http://www.strikesandspares.de/com/sp.htm

Thanks for the info but already been down that road. They offered to send my bad modules to Hanno for repair.

charger105

Guru

Guru

Post17 Mar 2014, 05:50

gweiler wrote:I noticed that I did not reply to the quartz crystal question. There is a QC to the immediate right of the microprocessor. It's simply tiny. But there is a QC on the board. I don't use the internal oscillator for time reference.

Glen

Thanks for answering Glenn.
I like the fact that it has a light sensor, and that the oscillator circuit is calibrated during assembly (and that it's thermally compensated).
Apologies for not spotting the surface mount QC !@@!

Good luck with it.
Rgds.
Next

Return to General Discussion