It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 03:53

Your favorite LED watch

Talk about everything digital watch related and off - topic.
  • Author

OMEGA77

Your favorite LED watch

Post17 Mar 2004, 18:32

Hi people,

OK heres a question to all you collectors out there..whats your favorite LED watch? :D

I have the following:

Omega TC2 :D
Novus "Mirror" LED :P
Pulsar Executive SS 8)
Pulsar P2 SS :wink:
Pulsar P3 DC SS :)
Spaceman Audacieuse :shock:

my favorite is the Omega becuase its so big chunky and sexy! But a bit big to wear sometimes.

next would be the angular totally cool Novus...great to wear and is so retro!

Then the Pulsar Exec which has the auto flick function so nice to wear and the flick function is so cool, a great watch to impress the ladies with!! :wink:

The P2 I also love a bit chunky but the strap fits well and again is soo cool!

The P3 DC is such a classic of design looks like some sort of crustacean with its integrated strap. lovely dot matrix too!

Finally we have the Spaceman, yes I know its not digital but its such a classic design! Might sell it soon.

I think I have enough watches now! Pretty soon Im gonna post some pics of my collection.

Let me know what yor favorites are
:wink:
"I have nothing to say...therefore, am I nothing?"

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Re: Your favorite LED watch

Post18 Mar 2004, 07:28

It's funny, the Pulsars don't even make my top 10 list. They are nice watches but boring in my opinion and never thrill my freinds. I like more rare, unique LED watches and my favorite one would have to be the Orient. Everytime I see certain friends of mine, they always ask if I'm wearing it; and these are people who couldn't give a darn about LED watches. They love the fact that only I can activate it unless they are touching me. (Yeah something sounds wrong about that).

MJ

fronzelneekburm

Guru

Guru

Post18 Mar 2004, 12:40

I?m also no great pulsar fan. My TOP watches:

Green Compuchron (I LOVE this watch)
Longines Gemini II with LED AND LCD
Zenith Analog/LED

Dig-it-all

Geek

Geek

Post25 May 2004, 13:43

Girard Perregaux Casquette - MAKROLON, for me the coolest looking LED.
There is also a Longines that I like but I don't know the name of it. Very space age design.

fronzelneekburm

Guru

Guru

Post25 May 2004, 16:05

I got a new favorite - a vintage Armitron LED pocket watch.

Just new in my collection, it works, but the button to open it is loose...
Maybe I?ll find a solution... :?

However it?s a VERY rare piece and a true beauty.... Will post some pics soon. :)

Planet-LED

Techie

Techie

Post27 May 2004, 05:17

Pulsar Date Command. The case and band are so cool.

Steve

bitfiend

Techie

Techie

Post27 May 2004, 23:24

So many cool ones...
I also think the Pulsar Date command is one of my favorites as far as looks go. All the Pulsars, and for that matter, the Hamiltons are very nice looking.
I also like any "drivers style" LED, particularly the GP.
The LIP LEDs are way cool.
Ah hell, I like all of them, with the exception of some of the later TI plastic ones and the extra-gaudy bark or stipple textured types of all makes.

ELY_M

Techie

Techie

fronzelneekburm

Guru

Guru

Post04 Jun 2004, 12:43

Did you get the excelar? I got the same Novus as on your picture.

8)

I?d love to have the Aquadive (A citizen model I was told), it?s one of the coolest LED watches ever!!! :P

Mr Frequency 32768hz

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post04 Jun 2004, 16:19

MJ wrote:It's funny, the Pulsars don't even make my top 10 list. They are nice watches but boring in my opinion and never thrill my freinds. I like more rare, unique LED watches and my favorite one would have to be the Orient. Everytime I see certain friends of mine, they always ask if I'm wearing it; and these are people who couldn't give a darn about LED watches. They love the fact that only I can activate it unless they are touching me. (Yeah something sounds wrong about that).

MJ

Pulsar = Boring :? :lol: I cant belive anyone could say that :shock: How could a orient LED be put before a Pulsar.... well everyone to thier own.... :x www.theledwatch.com

fronzelneekburm

Guru

Guru

Post04 Jun 2004, 17:00

I share his oppinion...

Besides the brand the the fact it?s "THE" first LED watch, I don?t find Pulsars as interesting as some folks pretend... They got their own style, I find that good, but it is in my eyes no "superior" brand... Just the mainstream - nearly everyone has got a Pulsar...

If it comes to design, there?s many other "under-rated" watches that are much more unique.

Pulsar has in my eyes somehow lost its "mystic" touch when I found out, that around everyone got one. There?s so many great LED watches by unknown brands and stupid people tend to ignore them as they do not have the "Pulsar" brand name printed somewhere on the case.

Mr Frequency 32768hz

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post04 Jun 2004, 17:37

fronzelneekburm wrote:I share his oppinion...

Besides the brand the the fact it?s "THE" first LED watch, I don?t find Pulsars as interesting as some folks pretend... They got their own style, I find that good, but it is in my eyes no "superior" brand... Just the mainstream - nearly everyone has got a Pulsar...

If it comes to design, there?s many other "under-rated" watches that are much more unique.

Pulsar has in my eyes somehow lost its "mystic" touch when I found out, that around everyone got one. There?s so many great LED watches by unknown brands and stupid people tend to ignore them as they do not have the "Pulsar" brand name printed somewhere on the case.

I have collected LED's for 7 years, and had 100's pass through my hands...... I then discovered it was quality rather than quantity in my collection, and that Pulsar is the best quality LED watch made.... most other brand LED's where gold plate, Pulsar where 80 microns thick.......The only watches that come close to the Pulsar class & beauty is the GP - Casquette / HP-01 / Omega, and some Longines & Wittanuer designs...... I don't think everyone has a Pulsar... yeah probably the Date Command & P-II which you see all the time. You know if you look, there are rare and beautiful Pulsars ... check out some on my site http://www.theledwatch.com/Frameset-2.htm
I'm not a total Pulsar nut, and I appreciate other designs. but you have to accept they where the best looking LED's and the market leader :wink:

Lordpulsar

Techie

Techie

Post04 Jun 2004, 19:29

I cant believe what I am reading here ! You guys honestly rate a piece of crap like an Orient better that a Pulsar ?? You must have a different version of watch where you are, because All the Orient , Baylor Compuchron?s I?ve seen.. were thrown together in junk cases!! The P-1 was the top of the tree and is the only LED watch by which all the others are to be judged !.

embelton

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post04 Jun 2004, 20:21

There are watches up there with the Pulsars,I agree on that.
Mido/Bulova sideview,Synchronar amongst others are all top designs,but as a brand with a line of watches there is none who?s even close.

Let me quote the film Highlander: "there can only be one ", and we all know they meant the Pulsar.

I?m only talking about design,quality is for someone else to judge.

fronzelneekburm

Guru

Guru

Post04 Jun 2004, 20:42

ityrion wrote:I cant believe what I am reading here ! You guys honestly rate a piece of crap like an Orient better that a Pulsar ?? You must have a different version of watch where you are, because All the Orient , Baylor Compuchron?s I?ve seen.. were thrown together in junk cases!! The P-1 was the top of the tree and is the only LED watch by which all the others are to be judged !.

Isn?t that somehow VERY ignorant? Just imagine we talked about oldtimer cars and someone likes a 57 chevy and doesn?t like Mercedes, then I say "Oh, everyone must love mercedes, the 1889 Motorkutsche was the first car ever, all others are to be judged by this one. Ha - Here in Ignorant-Country we all just collect Mercedes and put chevys and buicks on the Junkyard!"

Just take a minute to think about it before you answer...

Lordpulsar

Techie

Techie

Post05 Jun 2004, 10:34

I don?t think I was being ignorant in my comments.. I base my remarks on what I have physically held in my hands and seen. I honestly believe, the LED market was destroyed by the likes of Texas Instruments and other manufacturers making the LED watches into a cheap, near ?throw-away? item ! whilst Pulsar and a select few other manufacturers had all intentions to keep the watch as a respectful ?high-end ?piece of jewelry! :lol:

fronzelneekburm

Guru

Guru

Post05 Jun 2004, 11:44

The only reason the LED market was destroyed is: LCD...

People just realized one day that LCD has a few advantages in readability, energy consumption an handling (You push nothing to see the time, it?s always displayed). And built in lightbulps killed the argument that they?re useless in the dark.

The prices for LED watches had dropped in late 70s, not only because of Texas Instruments, rather because of the later ULTRA cheap LED watches from Hong Kong.

But it wasn?t even that fact, that destroyed LED watches - it was the fact that their time had come - the technology grew old, the demand for LED got less and less people buying some.

I don?t think Pulsars end was due to the cheap Hong Kong watches - it was rather because of the end of the era. Look today: We still use the LCD display watches. And the expensive high-tech and design LCD watches (Ventura, etc) don?t get broke although still today thousands of cheap .50 cent LCD watches from Hong Kong are sold.

People will not all buy the cheapest product, they buy what they WANT.

And if today a collector WANTS a Baylor, Orient or whatever , then I?m really glad that folks like him exist. There?s already enough Pulsar collectors, every second collector loves and admires Pulsar.

I thank heaven that there are also other taste folks that also collect Compuchron, Orient, Mido and all the others - and do NOT throw them away. Even if you don?t care about these watches it would have been a tragedy if none of these watches "survived". There?s a lot of watches that may not have the word "Pulsar" printed somewhere, but that have unique and beautiful designs. If you only know Pulsar then you can hardly imagine what beautiful other LED watches are out there.

Pulsar may be the most important part of history - but it?s not the full story. I wish to everyone that you folks collect watches because you really like their look, not just because a special brand name is stamped somewhere. Start collecting WATCHES, not brands! :wink:

gjl451

Nerd

Nerd

Post05 Jun 2004, 22:48

LCD was defintely the death of LED.

Companies like Texas Instruments were far from killing LED watches. In fact, if anything, they extended the life of LED by putting LED watches on wrists when LCD had already been around for a few years.

But I don't see anything wrong with 'Brand' collecting. I'm a 'Brand' collector myself - I collect Casios. I like and appreciate the other watches out there but I don't collect them all; I can't.

Brand collecting is a form of specialization which is prevalent and important in every collecting hobby. It's especially important for a 'new' hobby like digital wristwatch collecting.

Collecting interests always come down to opinion and taste and these are always subjective. Collect what you like and you'll always be happy with it. :)

Lordpulsar

Techie

Techie

Post05 Jun 2004, 22:58

Well, I am afraid guys (Mr Fonzel whatever) You don?t know your history !! T.I introduced their first LED watch in 1974 for a third of the price of the Pulsar ! 2 years after the 1st one was introduced!!!.. This (according to John Bergey) was the start of the decline for the ?Pro-market? in LED?s ? Not my words? HIS ! My other point is simply this? I don?t like pulsar just because of a brand ! If Orient , Baylor and all the others had a build quality similar , then I would say you have a fair point, but take a Hughes or a Nat semi module and take a look and compare it to a P-2 module !! As for the LCD.. well again, check you history guys, because the first LCD t(Gruen Teletime and Optel) was introduced 4 months after the P-1.

gjl451

Nerd

Nerd

Post05 Jun 2004, 23:10

No need to be so upset.

Remember that there is a difference between an event which 'marks' another event and an event which 'causes' another event.

Cheers!

Lordpulsar

Techie

Techie

Post05 Jun 2004, 23:35

Who's upset ??? Its just an opinion.. Im not saying I am right or wrong..

fronzelneekburm

Guru

Guru

Post06 Jun 2004, 12:26

The LED era did not end because of "cheap manufacturers", I DO know the history...

That?s like you say: "Ha - Analog watches like Rolex will die out!!! I yesterday bought an analog watch for 5 bucks in the city... Hahaha, who will buy a rolex for 5000 bucks anymore?"

cheap LED manufacturers of course took many customers from the other LED watch companies. But you can?t deny the fact that LCD outsold them in the end of the 70s...

Of course there were early expensive LCD watches. Yeah, it took them around 4 or 5 years to get the technology really sold - probably also due to the fact that the LED watch was just a little bit earlier propagated as "THE" digital watch, and even today the LED technology is more of an "Eyecatcher"...

But don?t blame companies for the fact that technology advances. The decision was, is and always will be made by the CUSTOMERS!!!

The fact that LED watch companies "died" in the late 70s was not that 99% of all bought LED watches were "cheap brands" - check your history!

The reason was that total sales went back, by 1980 about noone (or at least not enough people) intended to buy a LED watch anymore. No matter what brand - everyone, who was "mad about digital watches", probably already had one with empty batteries in some shelf these days and besides that, the "people" bought LCD watches as they?re the better technology and were finally getting cheaper. LCD is always readable and for a watch you really use just more handy. You can look at the time without pushing a button or shaking your wrist. And with small lightbilbs built in the argument of "Ha - my LED watch is better at night" was also killed.

Dude, I really, really love LED watches. And I really love LED watches, because I love the technology and styles, not a brand name. But it?s an old technology with disadvantages that a normal customer does not want anymore when something better is available. It was not "Baylors" or "Texas Instruments" Fault. People always buy the best for their money and LED watches just weren?t the best anymore.

If we were all in communist countries, the our governments could have made it all like the USSR - the "Elektronika" LED watches, produced by a "governmental" (like all) factory were made until mid 80s...

But would that have been the aim, should we be "sad" that it didn?t work this way and uncle sam could not say: "Hey, only produce Pulsars - the rest is crap"?
I?m glad the western nations are "free" nations and companies can produce what they want and people can buy what they want. That way the history has granted us jewels like the "Orient solar LED watch", Citizen Aquadive LED divers watch, Bulova drivers LED watch and hundreds of other treasures, with many many different brand names on them. I?m thankful for the many different brands and styles that developed.

It was the customers fault. If it was a fault at all...
Next

Return to General Discussion