It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:24

Newest posts - list

Please write what you like me to improve or what´s currently not working properly.
  • Author

Lillegutt

Techie

Techie

Newest posts - list

Post24 Jan 2012, 12:55

I really like the new design! Good work Hanno!

One thing I miss though, is the "20 Newest postings" list on the bottom of the front page. I don't know if this software supports that, but I've seen in on several other forums, and I think it's a good time saving feature. All sections are of almost equal interest, and by just a glance you can then see all new postings, instead of having to browse all categories.

Any chance?

JHH

Lillegutt

Techie

Techie

Re: Newest posts - list

Post24 Jan 2012, 12:58

Hmmm.. A bit quick maybe...

I see now that there is a link to "View new posts" on the top of the front page. Maybe it's sufficient...

JHH

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post25 Jan 2012, 22:47

"View New Posts" is not the same - which is why there is a "Top Topics" MOD. Once you look at the View New Posts list, on any subsequent visit, those newer posts are no longer on that list. The Top Topic MOD accumulates the top X number of recent posts in one area. I thought it was one of my better ideas....not like any of us make this code. :o It is not digressive to use something that was used in a previous iteration of a website. :-)
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post26 Jan 2012, 18:20

Here is the link to the "Top 5" MOD. You can change "5" to whatever number you want" in the .php file. It's a visual thing - men are very visual. The normal phpbb setup limits a topic area to showing only one, recent activity. Say "General Discussion". There might be three topics posted on in a morning, but only one is going to show in the normal setup. So on a casual look at the forum, it looks kind of dead, like "wow, only one post today" - wrong! The MOD is robust and has been tweaked and updated to death. 500+ comments, tweaks and replies about it on that linked forum alone.

The other nice thing about the MOD is that is shows the subject line AND the original poster. If there is someone you consider full of hot air, it is easier to avoid their subject starts, rather than being sucked into peeking because the forum only shows activity in an area of your interest. Some people only post about their acquisitions - hells bells, I don't care about that, show me some gory details of the insides! :lol:

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=1521595

Other small tips/suggestions - try to find a way to bring back the english/metric convertor - a popup here in the posting area is VERY helpful.

Ebay search boxs - not only is it convenient, it generates $20-80 a month if set up right. This December was an almost $80 month! Not tons, but a nice dinner for two. YMMV.

The look is very celan, but sometimes you have to sacrifice a little cleanliness for speed and efficiency. Just my $0.02 ;-)
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post27 Jan 2012, 17:16

THe recent posts lists seems to be configured to take the place of the [former] TOp 20 list - I stand self corrected. :-) Just not as self evident as a list on the Home page. Albeit neater. :oops:

Return to New Forum: Problems and Proposals