It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:39

For Sale & Ebay pages

Please write what you like me to improve or what´s currently not working properly.

Should the Private Sale and ebay Sale pages be hidden from visitors?

Poll ended at 24 Apr 2012, 04:11

Yes
36%
No
45%
I could care less.
9%
? You mean there is a For Sale page?
9%

Total votes : 11

• Author

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

For Sale & Ebay pages

Post10 Apr 2012, 04:11

Having the For Sale and ebay pages hidden unless registered seems counter-intuitive to me. I was thinking maybe Hanno would be swayed by a poll - then again, I may be in the minority on that thought.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Re: For Sale & Ebay pages

Post11 Apr 2012, 15:00

For the edification of those who think those pages should NOT be hidden, I'd be interested in hearing the reasons why others feel they SHOULD be hidden. Purdy please?
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

quietman

Techie

Techie

Post11 Apr 2012, 16:17

There are plenty of other forums that keep similar sections hidden

Most forums that I am familiar with host Marketplace sections to enable members to sell to members - simple as that. That is what their Marketplace sections are for. They allow members to post individual 'For Sale' offers for other members consideration. The method of moderating this facility does vary.

I can't think of any that allow people to advertise en masse with links to their own commercial sites - whether hidden or not :-?

MP "Young, dumb and not here for an argument"

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post11 Apr 2012, 19:06

Good points Quietman. But without a control of what consitutes a legitimate member, you could have a first time poster putting stuff up for sale. Which could be quite troubling. :-?

The "en masse" linkage issue is tricky - what consitutes fair use? A small website with items for sale, or an ardent collector who puts many of their items up for sale? - both are trying to make $$. I do the "en masse" links as a method of notifying members here there are some new items up.

quietman

Techie

Techie

Post11 Apr 2012, 19:39

retroleds wrote:you could have a first time poster putting stuff up for sale

I know one other watch forum that requires a minimum number of other posts before making any For Sale posts to prevent this. Whether its 'coded' in to the forum or just implemented by the admins I know not.

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post13 Apr 2012, 10:58

for me it should be hidden

If you become a forummember,
you become part of a community who wants to share knowledge with eachother
you want to participate on the forum
you want to dig deeper on your subject of interest.

so for me..i would even make the digital workbench only open for members with more then 30+ posts.

it's all about commitment and dedication. Only the sunlight is free in this world. If you want something, you have to do something for it. It's how i was brought up.
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post13 Apr 2012, 14:25

For me it should definitely be open to all, to get to here is usually a sign of interest and anything that might entice people to stick around has to be good thing.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post13 Apr 2012, 16:02

kasper wrote:for me it should be hidden

If you become a forummember,
you become part of a community who wants to share knowledge with eachother
you want to participate on the forum
you want to dig deeper on your subject of interest.

so for me..i would even make the digital workbench only open for members with more then 30+ posts.

it's all about commitment and dedication. Only the sunlight is free in this world. If you want something, you have to do something for it. It's how i was brought up.

Well, I have to admit I am aghast at your idea that someone wouldn't be allowed to read the digital workbench area until they had 30+ posts. How would they know they want to make the commitment? Some people don't want to belong and post on forums because they are too contentious. People coercing you to be assimilated into their mindset.

quietman

Techie

Techie

Post13 Apr 2012, 16:45

kasper wrote:so for me..i would even make the digital workbench only open for members with more then 30+ posts.

I don't see any sense in that either. It is the information and knowledge available here that sells the forum to new members and encourages new collectors. It is meant to be a community, not a secret society.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post13 Apr 2012, 17:31

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post13 Apr 2012, 17:31

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post13 Apr 2012, 17:32

3........only 27 more posts to go before I can join the club ~:(

Brendan

Nerd

Nerd

Post13 Apr 2012, 20:21

There's a digital workbench section ??

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post13 Apr 2012, 20:55

Brendan wrote:There's a digital workbench section ??
Don't sweat it dude, only 4 more posts and you'd be there....in kasper's scenario. :lol: Correction - there is no digital workbench section anymore. Snap!

Return to New Forum: Problems and Proposals