It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:38

Pulsar SS dress watch band.

• Author

Retrowatch

Pulsar SS dress watch band.

Post14 Dec 2005, 17:23

Hello. The bracelet on my SS dress watch (3408) is really bugging me. At some time in the watches life someone has removed some of the tiny links (about 2cm worth so far as I can see) and they've only done it on one side. In other words if you take the clasp off, the band is really short on top of the watch and really long below it and when wearing watch the clasp is halfway around my wrist.

Does anybody know how to take some links from the long side and reposition them on the short side? The links are only about 1mm deep so it's a hard to see how they are joined.

I'm fed up with my local watchmaker laughing at my LEDs so would rather try to do this myself :wink:

Lordpulsar

Techie

Techie

Re: Pulsar SS dress watch band.

Post14 Dec 2005, 21:23

I'm not entirely sure you've got the original bracelet on your watch there ?? As far as I am aware, the only adjustment on the bracelet is done with the lug pins on the clasp.. there are no links (as such) on the bracelet as it is a mesh design.... I cant download pictures onto this site, but I'm sure someone can show you the bracelet... :cry:

Here's a link with a picture of the correct bracelet, to check....

http://www.ledwatches.net/photo-pages/pulsar4.htm

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post14 Dec 2005, 22:16

If you could email a pic of the watch to Simon or me, we could tell you what's going on here; but I agree with Simon... it doesn't sound like the original bracelet. They originally came in three lengths, short, medium, and long [in about 2cm increments, with adjustment in the clasp giving about a 5mm overlap]. It seems likely the larger distributers stocked at least a few of them. The actual lengths were chosen so that the odds were nearly 100% that one of them would fit [or be adjusted to] almost any customer. For the guy with the odd-size wrist [being either very large, or very small], Time Computer provided jewelers with a bracelet sizeing ruler. This was a nine-inch strip of brown paper, graduated in 1/8 inch increments from 4 to nine inches, and perforated every 1/8 inch. The theory was, you put the case on top of your arm, wrapped the ruler around from lug to lug, tore it to length, and sent it off to Time Computer. Eventually, you were supposed to get back a bracelet tailored to your exact dimensions. There was no provision for sizeing these at the point-of-sale. The paper rulers are a minor but tough-to-find item.

Retrowatch

Post15 Dec 2005, 02:17

Hello again. I'm fairly sure its the correct bracelet as it's the same as on every other SS dress watch I've ever seen. (The same as on the green led dress pulsars).

The Clasp has Time Computer Inc stamped on it and (perhaps a bit strangely "Japan"???). One thing that is a little unusual is that it has a "sprung" bracelet extender in the clasp (which fits like a glove) where the magnet compartment would be. I don't need to use this but it has exactly the same brushed finish as the clasp and looks for all the world as if it's supposed to be there. I've taken some pics but I'll have to download them tommorow (way too late now :wink: )

The top end of the bracelet is 5cm long and the bottom end is 7cm. Could it have been made like this?

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post16 Dec 2005, 08:48

If this bracelet still looks clean, with no obvious signs of damage, I would guess this is, in fact, a factory-made or adjusted part. Any amateur attempt to do so would almost certainly have resulted in a cosmetic disaster. Only Time Computer would have had the specialized tools to work properly on these. BTW, the springy-slidy part in the clasp is called an expansion link, and I have seen a few of these [in both stainless and GF watches, and it is a Pulsar part]. Its function is to add about another half-inch [12mm] to the bracelet length [which sometimes, depending on the owners' dimensions, would allow it to be slipped over the hand without undoing the clasp]. Another minor but uncommon bit...

Return to Pulsar and Hamilton