It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 17:28

Oh no not again...

• Author

digibloke

Wizard

Wizard

Oh no not again...

Post28 Dec 2005, 16:34

I got a date command in the post yesterday. Put new batteries in in (making sure I was earthed first). Time and seconds worked fine, the date came on and stayed on.

Ok not the end of the world. I took the module out of the case to test the reed switch with a different magnet. Put the magnet near the date switch date came on. Moved the magnet away date went off. Aha! the magnet in the button is too strong - not a problem. Before moving the reed switch away from the magnet I decided to try a thin piece of foil on the inside of the case (making sure I was earthed the whole time to avoid static discharge). I carefully put the module back inside the case, replaced the batteries and put the back on.

Guess what... 0 or 8 or 9 - staying on until the batteries are removed. No other signs of life whatsoever. It's pretty unlikely that the quartz chose this exact moment after 30 years of working to stop oscilating. Looks like another empty watch case to add to the collection. I'm fed up :cry:

collector

Techie

Techie

Re: Oh no not again...

Post28 Dec 2005, 18:04

Digibloke - I feel your pain, and understand getting that "fed / give up" feeling!!! As a matter of curiousity, did you obtain the watch on eBay? The reason I ask is that is seems 50% of the LED's I have "won" on eBay had a problem on arrival (not specified in the item description) or developed a "problem" within 24 hours of receipt. The seller had to know there was a problem, but, obviously chose to ignore it. I have either thrown away the watch or resold it with an "honest" description including any known problems, taking the $ loss.

These experiences have led me to distrust all but a select number of eBay sellers. I have bought additional watches from those who have made the "trusted" list and have not been disappointed!!

Which leads me to a subject I know has been a topic of discussion on this forum several times. How about a "New Category" "Experiences Good & Bad" with eBay Sellers" or some similar title. I know eBay has their rating system, but, we all know a large number of us shy away from negative feedback for fear of receiving an unjustified "spite" feedback.

This way we all would have an additional method of making an informed decision prior to a bid / purchase.

Lordpulsar

Techie

Techie

Post28 Dec 2005, 18:38

Digibloke

Gently apply the warm air from a hair dryer on the module ... (no, I'm being serious!) Do this for 10 -20 secsand about 6inches away... then try the batteries.. If it works, then fails, the module can still be repaired by using a crystal oscillator chip as a retro fit... Save the tears for the moment !!

dot matrix

Digital Guy <br>(Forum Founder)

Digital Guy <br>(Forum Founder)

Post28 Dec 2005, 23:30

collector wrote:Which leads me to a subject I know has been a topic of discussion on this forum several times. How about a "New Category" "Experiences Good & Bad" with eBay Sellers" or some similar title. I know eBay has their rating system, but, we all know a large number of us shy away from negative feedback for fear of receiving an unjustified "spite" feedback.

Interesting idea. I just made an ebay section - people are welcome to use that for "good and bad" experiences posts. If there are a lot of them, I'll move them off to their own category like you suggest.
Last edited by dot matrix on 25 Jul 2013, 04:27, edited 1 time in total.
LED watches are quiet and polite. No ticking, no tocking, no beeping, no buzzing; they will only tell you the time when you ask to see it and they will do so instantly with no attention-seeking animations. A more civilized watch for a more civilized age.

digibloke

Wizard

Wizard

Post29 Dec 2005, 01:12

It's alive :D

I put a working quartz crystal in front of the original pulsar one (kind of bridged it I guess) and it started running - at 8.01 - strange time to pick eh?. Hurray I thought - just needs a new quartz. Then I took the new crystal away and double hurray - it kept running by itself :shock:

I think its most likely that my lightly touching the contacts to and from the quartz has reconnected a dry joint - but it'd be nice to think that the new crystal jump started it. Anyway, I got it back inside the case, put a new O ring in and closed it up and it seems to be working fine (the tin foil did the trick with the date as well :D ).

I did buy it on ebay but I can't complain about the seller as he said he knew nothing about the watch and that it was for sale "as is" (nice guy as well by all accounts). It was one of those late night impulsive "uh oh, that'll be a bargain if it does work" things. I was more upset because it was kind of working when I got it - then I thought I'd killed it (not any more though).

Interesting idea with an ebay section. The ebay feedback system is a bit weak as people are afraid of having negatives returned for no good reason (most people who are disapointed just don't leave feedback). I hope the new section doesn't get abused though as a lot of potential buyers read this forum. (some people like certain sellers other people think they are something to be found stuck to the shoe of the devil :wink: )

Hells bells! that was a long one. DB.

Seer Taak

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post29 Dec 2005, 15:28

like the idea of the ebay section, as I have so far bought about 75% of my collection off ebay. How about a rogues (and saints) gallery, or a top 10 of the most reliable/unreliable sellers? Dont know if that's possible to create, but I thought that rather than simply having individual threads, there could also be a sort of poll where members could vote on their best/worst seller on the basis of individial experience? OK, I think we are almost all aware of the regular and reliable sellers, many of whom contribute to this board, but I dont think there is such an awareness of the less reliable, but still regular sellers. It's just an idea :)

fronzelneekburm

Guru

Guru

Post03 Jan 2006, 03:06

I'm not sure if its really a good idea to judge about ebay sellers here. Such posted oppinions are not necessary very objective. I just remember the stress we had here about Barbie6 or what his name was.

At least Barbie went here and defended himself, but I am sure some sellers do not even know about this board, so it would probably end up in one-sided oppinions.

My advice would be using the ebay rating system, you can give a seller a bad rating if anything went wrong and others will be able to read your comment on what went wrong.

Seer Taak

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post04 Jan 2006, 03:20

Agreed. All very fair points. If the ebay feedback thing works (generally) there's probably no point in doing another. I never totally understood the whole 'Barbie' thing. So many people for, so many against. Wouldn't be very productive for a survey to stir up that kind of hornets nest again.

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post04 Jan 2006, 06:02

I would guess that those of us who do a significant amount of buying on eBay already have a pretty good idea of who is a reliable seller, and who is not. I would also surmise that the majority of problems arise when an item of noteworthy value or interest is offered by a seller that has no real experience with LED watches [or even watches in general]. It is easy to see how such a situation could result in omissions, or what looks like misrepresentation and lead to a bad result for both parties. I never bid on anything anymore if there is the slightest doubt about the seller or the item, unless those doubts can be resolved before the auction's end. For the most part, the feedback system, and the ability to contact the seller, work very well. Remember, guys, it's your money on the line here, and you owe it to yourselves to get all the information necessary to make an informed decision as to whether to part with it or not. It is really true that the only stupid questions are the ones you DON'T ask...

fronzelneekburm

Guru

Guru

Post06 Jan 2006, 05:39

Ahhh, never mind we already got that ebay forum. I wonder when the first cat fights will start. :P

Return to Pulsar and Hamilton