• Author

CompuChron2

Techie

Techie

DISPLAY SHOWING 10:00 , bad news?

Post16 Jan 2006, 12:13

HI,

I received my P2 today bought on ebay as tested and non working. :(
But surprise , :shock: when I put 2 batteries in it , it shows 10:00 for a second and then nothing happens when pressing the button or putting a magnet under.

What do you think it could be?

Olivier

CompuChron2

Techie

Techie

Re: DISPLAY SHOWING 10:00 , bad news?

Post16 Jan 2006, 12:55

ah ah good news , I put a stronger magnet at the back and I 've been able to set the minutes,and the hours!! :lol: the diplay is perfect, no segments missing. :P
still nothing happens when pressing the button :cry:
maybe it's just a weak reed switch?

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post17 Jan 2006, 01:11

I saw a watch on Ebay recently that displayed that same number and a few other numbers only and I decided to stay away from that one. :) Looks like bad news to me and I would guess that the IC is at fault. A weak read switch will have nothing to do with the time not advancing unless the switch doesn't activate the time at all, which it does. Personally, my first fix would be the quartz crystal but QC's ususually work or they don't work. (IE, you wouldn't get any time showing at all).

MJ

digibloke

Wizard

Wizard

Post17 Jan 2006, 02:12

Olivier, try putting your stronger magnet over the watch button (try with the magnet facing both ways to be sure you get the polarity right), If the time comes on then it could be a weak magnet in the button.

If it doesn't then it could be a faulty reed switch. Either way, if you can set the watch then there's a chance it's fixable.

I've had some success at strengthening Pulsar magnets in the past by putting a stack of very strong hobbyshop magnets on them for half an hour or so - don't know if this would work with a button though?

Good luck with the P2 - one of my favorites. DB.

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post17 Jan 2006, 06:12

Maybe I didn't read Olivier's post correctly. I thought the button WAS working but the time wasn't advancing. So you can set everything but the button doesn't work...I see. Yes, it's time to try another read switch if what DB says doesn't work.

CompuChron2

Techie

Techie

Post17 Jan 2006, 09:10

Thank you guys for your answers.
Can I try to 'jump' the reed switch with a wire to see if it activates the button?
If the switch is faulty , where can I get a new one?
:idea:

digibloke

Wizard

Wizard

Post17 Jan 2006, 13:42

Yes you should be able to jump the switch with wire - a pair of metal tweezers should also work to bridge it. You can buy reed switches online. Try doing a search for reed switch at Maplins (in the UK).

http://www.maplin.co.uk/?C=1954

I think it's best to use an original Pulsar reed switch as you can be almost sure it's the correct sensitivity for the button on your watch. Check what colour the blob of paint on the switch is (often red on P2s and P3s). and ask if anyones got one in the marketplace forum. There are lots of original reed switches out there (as there are lots of dead modules).

Cheers - db.

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post18 Jan 2006, 08:36

I have checked a few of my P2s and P3s, and a good percentage [the majority, in fact] show 10:00 when batteries are installed [that is, at what I call initial power-up], so this would seem to be a peculiarity of the circuit logic, and perfectly normal. Inability to call up the time by pressing the button suggests either a defective reed switch, or an under-strength pusher magnet; a failing quartz crystal would seem to be ruled out here. Re-polarizing the button magnet is possible, using a rare-earth magnet, but you need to get both the field orientation and strength correct to get reliable switch operation [tricky, at best]. Replacing or adjusting the existing switch [if determined to be intact] is likely to be the least time-consuming approach. Replacement should be done only with another Pulsar switch, as these were manufactured specially to match the field characteristics of the button magnets.

CompuChron2

Techie

Techie

Post18 Jan 2006, 14:42

HI,

this morning I woke up early and try to bypass that reed switch to see if this watch will work.
And it does work , times is shown and then the seconds showed up looking like time is passing by correctly.
So,now I have an almost working P2 which needs a new reed switch.But I don't have any donor module, maybe I'll try a replacement one.
:idea: Any idea? :?:

Return to Pulsar and Hamilton