It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 21:24

Another Pulsar claim in the press

• Author

dot matrix

Digital Guy <br>(Forum Founder)

Another Pulsar claim in the press

Post22 Jun 2006, 20:26

TMCnet just published a news article giving a history of many gadgets at http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2006/06/22/1692151.htm

They continue to propogate the myth about the Pulsar:
TMCnet wrote:THE first digital watch, The Pulsar, launched in 1972 and had the classic red light LED (light emitting diode) display. It was soon superseded by the Seiko LCD display in 1973, which is still the most common display used for digital watches.

Get your corrections in now!
LED watches are quiet and polite. No ticking, no tocking, no beeping, no buzzing; they will only tell you the time when you ask to see it and they will do so instantly with no attention-seeking animations. A more civilized watch for a more civilized age.

Lordpulsar

Techie

Techie

Re: Another Pulsar claim in the press

Post22 Jun 2006, 21:38

It was soon superseded by the Seiko LCD display in 1973, which is still the most common display used for digital watches.

Well that's wrong, because the Gruen "Teletime was the first LCD on the market in 72 also !

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post23 Jun 2006, 10:54

Wasn't the BWC/Optel with DSM display the first LCD watch?
AFAIK, the Gruen Teletime came later, but it was the first to have a field effect LCD, which is the type we still have today.

Lordpulsar

Techie

Techie

Post23 Jun 2006, 14:12

Yes, but to my knowledge it wasn't released until 1973... I may be wrong.. Peter Wenzig is the LCD Guru.. I'll ask him..

LiquidLed

Techie

Techie

Post23 Jun 2006, 16:20

I thought this bunch http://invention.smithsonian.org/center ... /luce.html
where the first as mentioned above by reWolf

Or do I see this turning into another mass-debate - old but still funny :lol:
It is here! It is now!

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post23 Jun 2006, 18:34

Simon Alexander wrote:Yes, but to my knowledge it wasn't released until 1973... I may be wrong.. Peter Wenzig is the LCD Guru.. I'll ask him..
It's on his website, in German...
In short, he writes the BWC was introduced to the public on the Basle Fair on March 6th, 1972, and the Teletime is from "about 1973", the first Field effect LCD.

Lordpulsar

Techie

Techie

Post23 Jun 2006, 19:35

Ah well,.... there you go then. :lol:

Synchroserious

Wizard

Wizard

Post24 Jun 2006, 00:56

Hate to to tell some people this but I have Optel sending my father a brouchure for their display and it was not led,or the 2 types of L.C.D,s talked about.This brouchure was sent to my father in 1971,and the salesman at optel was anxious to complete the transaction. The displays were mentioned to be usefull in test equipment meters,clocks and so on, but not a watch.From what it looks like my father almost ordered these readouts,but that is the only evidence he(RWR) had a brief thought of something different than what we came to know.
Membership status is unknown due to lack of communication.

dot matrix

Post24 Jun 2006, 03:31

My understanding from conversations with Roger Riehl was that the extremely early Synchronars did not use LED displays but instead some sort of light pins. He told me all about it, but unfortunately I wasn't familiar with the technology so I don't remember the details. If my notes ever turn up I'll have more info.
LED watches are quiet and polite. No ticking, no tocking, no beeping, no buzzing; they will only tell you the time when you ask to see it and they will do so instantly with no attention-seeking animations. A more civilized watch for a more civilized age.

Return to Pulsar and Hamilton