It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 17:03

Pulsar Watch Repair?

• Author

Clive

Nerd

Nerd

Pulsar Watch Repair?

Post28 Aug 2006, 02:35

Evening, I've got one of these anyone know of a watch repairer, the LED lights have taken a bit of a battering and need sorting so I can actually tell the time :D

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RARE-70s-PULSAR-L ... dZViewItem

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Re: Pulsar Watch Repair?

Post28 Aug 2006, 08:34

This watch has probably been refinished, but the BIG problem is that the module isn't an original Time Computer one. The digits are too close together and the segments are made up of two short bars [actually, each bar is two closely-spaced, parallel stripes], instead of five dots. If memory serves me correctly, the electronics are made by Sanyo [who DID make the green displays for the Pulsar Dress watch, but that's another story]. They've just been grafted onto a Pulsar movement ring. The display format is the same, with one functional difference; the seconds blink, CompuChron-style, instead of being on continuously. I would say, for what it is, this item is WAY overpriced. Nice box, though...

Planet-LED

Techie

Techie

Post28 Aug 2006, 20:41

The digits on the ebay watch don't even appear to be from a Sanyo module. All of the Sanyo/Compu Chron digits I've seen have segments made up of single solid bars rather than two short bars.

Clive

Nerd

Nerd

Post29 Aug 2006, 17:23

Wow, that was far more in depth than I was expecting but didn't answer my question :D

My watch is the one with the 5 dots and some of those dots aren't now lighting up due to a fall, I posted the link for an example and tbh didn't even notice that the watch had a replacement module.

It's just seems almost impossible to find anyone to fix the things??

T-bird

Post29 Aug 2006, 23:15

Hi Clive.

Don't be surprised, this is the typical answer you may receive here :lol:
After all, we're not normal people...

Seriously, if your watch has the dot segment display, pay attention to the problem; if the same segment is defective in all digits you may have a driver or decoder problem. So, if all the same position segments are not operating, probably the driver is faulty. If the digits show random missing segments, the problem is probably in the display, which is wire bonded but encapsulated in resin, so there's nothing you can do except change the display. If dots are missing on the segment, then they're burnt out and again you must change the display. Changing a display is not hard, you can even do it yourself.

Hope this helps.

Al.
:D
4 Doors = 2 Cars

Planet-LED

Techie

Techie

Post30 Aug 2006, 02:04

Clive wrote:Wow, that was far more in depth than I was expecting but didn't answer my question :D

My watch is the one with the 5 dots and some of those dots aren't now lighting up due to a fall, I posted the link for an example and tbh didn't even notice that the watch had a replacement module.

Picky, picky!

Clive

Nerd

Nerd

Post30 Aug 2006, 15:25

HDLED wrote:
Clive wrote:Wow, that was far more in depth than I was expecting but didn't answer my question :D

Picky, picky!

Heh, sorry this is just really frustrating I love the watch but there's no point wearing it at the moment.

Looking at T-Birds reply it seems to be the same dots that don't work all the time and looking at it now they all appear to be in a line running accross the top of the display i.e. the number on the far right is a 0 for the date but the dots on the left side of the 0 at the top are missing and that goes for the rest of the number to, it's 2:33 now and I can see that OK :D

digibloke

Wizard

Wizard

Post30 Aug 2006, 23:27

Hey Clive. That does sound like a loose connection on one of the segment drivers. These are the seven little black boxes directly above the led display. It sounds like the one you're after is the one second from the right but don't even think about trying to take it off as they're very, very difficult to get back on again.

There are several threads about how to deal with this, but this one probably contains the most useful information...

http://dwf.nu/viewtopic.php?t=1063&post ... 343cef4c7b

To be honest, if you haven't tried this sort of thing before then I'd seriously consider selling the watch on ebay (saying what the problem is). It'll probably be snapped up by a handy led collector and you could put the money towards a working P3.

Clive

Nerd

Nerd

Post31 Aug 2006, 15:40

digibloke wrote:Hey Clive. That does sound like a loose connection on one of the segment drivers. These are the seven little black boxes directly above the led display. It sounds like the one you're after is the one second from the right but don't even think about trying to take it off as they're very, very difficult to get back on again.

There are several threads about how to deal with this, but this one probably contains the most useful information...

http://dwf.nu/viewtopic.php?t=1063&post ... 343cef4c7b

To be honest, if you haven't tried this sort of thing before then I'd seriously consider selling the watch on ebay (saying what the problem is). It'll probably be snapped up by a handy led collector and you could put the money towards a working P3.

Cheers for that, I'd not thought of that option, might be the way to go as I've got sausage fingers and the shakes :D

Return to Pulsar and Hamilton