It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 00:56

my button's popped out!

• Author

digibloke

Wizard

Wizard

my button's popped out!

Post19 Sep 2006, 12:16

I've got a P2 which refuses to be in working order for more than a month at a time. The latest failure (which ironically happened about two minutes after I gave it a THIRD new module) is that the backplate to the pusher has come loose from the watch case.

I've seen Azimuths instructions as to how to cure this and also those on Phil B's site but it just isn't working :(

I've taken the time screen out, I've got the case clamped, I'm using a butane torch and high quality solder but it just pops out again after a couple of pushes. It's not one of the cup style backplates like on a P3 but is just a copper rectangle.

Any help, hints, tips, ideas would be very much appreciated.

DragonFly2

Nerd

Nerd

Re: my button's popped out!

Post20 Sep 2006, 01:41

Hi , if you use a butane torch on electrical or other low temperature solder it can boil releasing vapours and gasses into the molten alloy making low joint strength.Better to use a soldering iron, and after cleaning the parts with a light abrasive apply liquid flux to both parts , then apply solder and heat from the the iron (best to use pliers to hold the parts together) and a good lasting joint will be made.
LED watches are cool!

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Re: my button's popped out!

Post17 Nov 2006, 19:59

Good point there, maybe I didn't describe it in that detail.
You should use the torch for removing the buttons and button-cups and once you refinish the case, you have to hold and press the case onto a surface (with a hole for the button). then apply the button-cup and press it firmly with a flat screwdriver or another tool and use the torch - it should usually work but sometimes the amount of solder is unsufficient. then it's better to use a soldering iron and press the button-cup downwards while the iron is hot. apply more solder if needed.

Return to Pulsar and Hamilton