It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 05:19

replacing reed switches

• Author

corona with lime

Nerd

Nerd

replacing reed switches

Post29 Sep 2006, 02:05

I have a module which is god but needs reed switches. After reading some of the other posts I believe I will try to replace them.

Is there a source for new replacement reed switches or must I salvage two from a dead module?

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Re: replacing reed switches

Post29 Sep 2006, 09:06

Best bet is to salvage two from an existing module. That way, you know they're the exact, correct part [modern replacements are available, but they're expensive and may not have the exact magnetic properties of the originals]. Just make sure you put the replacements in the exact same position and rotational orientation [still not a guarantee it will work on the first try, but it's as good a start as you can make...may still take a bit of adjustment to get the pusher response right; display should switch on when the pusher is approximately three-quarters of the way through it's range of motion]. Also, you can swap demand switches for setting switches, but not the other way around; the pusher magnets aren't strong enough to close a setting switch [always try to replace switches with the same type].

gjlelec

Wizard

Wizard

Post29 Sep 2006, 20:47

Bruce, thats very interesting about the setting switch and the demands being different. are they colour coded or identified in some way permitting you to identify them prior to installation on the module :?:

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post30 Sep 2006, 00:21

Great question; yes, they are color-coded with a spot of red or green paint on one end of the switch [green=setting, red=demand]. Occasionally, you'll find one without any marking, so you'll have to identify it by where it was installed on the module [all the physical parameters of the two types are identical, so if you mix them up, you won't be able to tell them apart by their appearance]. I keep my spares in labelled boxes, and never have more than one box open at a time; that's kept the mix-ups to zero.

Return to Pulsar and Hamilton