It is currently 10 May 2024, 03:19

Need reed switches for a Pulsar Bigtime.

• Author

redled

Techie

Techie

Need reed switches for a Pulsar Bigtime.

Post04 Mar 2007, 21:23

I'm fairly certain the module is good, I hope the buttons are. One reed is broken, but i'd like to get more than one because they're so fragile!
Can anyone help? (please).

Steve

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

re: Need reed switches for a Pulsar Bigtime.

Post04 Mar 2007, 22:12

Have you tried shorting across the switch to test for a response from the module? If you get nothing, there are deeper and more serious problems than a mere broken switch. Also, do you need the demand or setting switch? They look identical, but have very different magnetic characteristics, and are NOT interchangeable [this is true for the P2 and P3 modules as well]. I have found it is the demand switches that fail 95% of the time [no doubt this reflects the actual difference in frequency-of-use; you read the time far more often than you set it]. I do have spares if you need them.

redled

Techie

Techie

Post04 Mar 2007, 22:57

I have a module 401. It only has demand switches. I broke one trying to move it closer to the button; it had worked with a stronger magnet. The other seems to work, but not always. I should probably move it closer too, but how to do that without breaking it is another matter.

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post05 Mar 2007, 01:47

Sounds like an Auto-Set module [but the proper number for that is 402]. Anyway, because of the way the switches are mounted in the module [with the three little "fingers" of plastic gripping them], there's no good way to move them closer to the button [that's why your switch broke]. The only method of adjustment I have found to work [short of actually replacing the switch], is to ROTATE it slightly, either direction [some trial-and-error experimentation is in order here], and see if the button response improves [it is somethimes also possible to move the switch SIDE-to-SIDE; if so, that is worth a try also]. Ideally, the display should come on when the button is about three-quarters of the way through its' range of travel. If all this fails, the only viable alternative left is replacement of the switch. Unless you get very lucky on the first attempt, some adjustment of the new switch will be necessary to get optimum [that is, approximating-the-factory] button response.

redled

Techie

Techie

Post05 Mar 2007, 03:02

It is an autoset, I assumed it was 401 because that's what the sticker on the caseback says. I'm not the original owner, I don't know it's history. It must not be the original caseback.

Anyway, like I said, there's already one switch broken. Is there a source for replacements? (I could use a couple of band links too). Thanks for your help.

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post05 Mar 2007, 03:36

Switches and links; have them both. How many do you need?

redled

Techie

Techie

Post05 Mar 2007, 03:52

That's great! I think I need 3 links to make it complete, there's 5 removable links there, I assume it came with 8 originally? I don't know how many reed switches to get; if I assume I have to replace both, and a backup for each that's 4. Doable?

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post05 Mar 2007, 09:17

Yes. I will PM you with exact details.

Return to Pulsar and Hamilton