It is currently 12 May 2024, 08:41

Pulsar Sport 3502-2 on ebay

• Author

Cadillac

Pulsar Sport 3502-2 on ebay

Post05 Mar 2007, 12:01

Hi, is this an original Pulsar watch on ebay? And is this ebay seller ok Barbie9. I ask because I don't know anything about Pulsar watches. I had a round Bulova LED in 1977 and I have wanted another LED watch and wonder why they quit making them. Any advive is appreciated. Cadillac http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=012

redled

Techie

Techie

re: Pulsar Sport 3502-2 on ebay

Post05 Mar 2007, 12:26

Apparently when Pulsar closed its doors in the late 70's they had a lot of these left. IMO it's one of the nicest Pulsars. I just ordered one myself, can't wait for it to arrive. There was some controversy awhile back as to the authenticity of these, but everything i've read seems to indicate that they're genuine.

As far as why they stopped making them, well, it's not just Pulsar that stopped. Everyone stopped! The reason is because the technology evolved. LCD displays, like on all the digital watches of today, was just a better technology for a watch, though less attractive, so that's where the industry went. Interestingly, during the last several years some companies, even some individuals, have been making new LED watches. Some are fairly good, and some are fairly bad.

Fitron

Wizard

Wizard

Post05 Mar 2007, 12:36

Hi and welcome to the forum. Ah barbie9....try this page

http://www.oldpulsars.com

and go to models, choose 3502 sport and scroll down until you see a report button in bright blue - that will tell you everything. Certainly he's got a good rep and the modules are genuine 70's articles. The cases are not but that won't be a problem as they were made by several differing companies anyway back then. It's a good deal for a good watch.

They stopped making them 'cos LCD came along and these were simply a better technology that used way less power. Also by the end of the decade LED had been "cheapened" by lots of low cost brands - they were simply no longer special - LCD was newer (despite being an older tech if I'm not mistaken????) Hope this helps.

Cadillac

Post05 Mar 2007, 12:37

thanks for the information redled. Have you done business with this seller before? I saw that the buyer had sold 1 or 2 like this one by his recent feedback. I want a watch to wear and enjoy, a good one will probably last longer than me. LOL. The 70s had the coolest stuff. thanks Cadillac

Cadillac

Post05 Mar 2007, 12:58

thanks Filtron Fiend, I just read the thread and it told me what I wanted. Cadillac

redled

Techie

Techie

Re: re: Pulsar Sport 3502-2 on ebay

Post05 Mar 2007, 12:59

Cadillac wrote:thanks for the information redled. Have you done business with this seller before?

No, I haven't, but like Cadillac said, he has a good rep. He's been selling these for a couple of years; if he were ripping people off he wouldn't still be around. I don't think there's any doubt that he can be trusted.

collector

Techie

Techie

Post05 Mar 2007, 13:03

Hi Cadillac,

Barbie9 (Mike) is one of the VERY BEST sellers on eBay. I have bought many watches from him (both on eBay and off of ebay) and everyone was perfect, including the Sports 3502.

Do not hesitate - this one is a real nice watch from a great seller.

Cadillac

Post05 Mar 2007, 13:11

thanks collector, I will be sending him a money order today. I wanted a little confirmation before I sent the money off. 325.00 plus 15.00 shipping. 340.00 total is that a fair price? thanks Cadillac

collector

Techie

Techie

Post05 Mar 2007, 13:26

In my opinion, the price is a very fair one. I have seen some buyers resell these for much more than they paid!!!

I had even done a post on this forum about the price one realized;

http://www.dwf.nu/viewtopic.php?t=1450&highlight=

redled

Techie

Techie

Post05 Mar 2007, 15:46

I agree, it's a great price. I couldn't resist.

seikoric

Geek

Geek

Post05 Mar 2007, 16:14

i bought from him a while back, he's a really great seller, he let me have one for a big discount cos it had a small ding, i bet you cant even see it -

Cheers, Ric

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post05 Mar 2007, 22:10

Got one too...a perfectly nice watch. Way too much worry about whether it's "all original", IMO. They are all Pulsar stock parts, so what's to worry. Mike is a great seller - putting those together was a real plus for the collecting community. 8)
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

corona with lime

Nerd

Nerd

Post06 Mar 2007, 03:34

I also bought one of Mike's Sports, along with a couple of other items later on. I was very impressed with the watch and received what I consider very good service.

paulmondays

Nerd

Nerd

Post06 Mar 2007, 20:02

I bought one too, no problems. One thing worth noting though it is in no way waterproof.

Paul

Cadillac

Post06 Mar 2007, 22:03

paulmondays wrote:I bought one too, no problems. One thing worth noting though it is in no way waterproof.

Paul
is this watch for collectors only or will it be safe to wear? I don't want it if it can't be worn. I would not shower or swim with it but it could get wet washing my hands. Cadillac

paulmondays

Nerd

Nerd

Post06 Mar 2007, 22:52

They're certainly wearable but I suppose with any thirty year old electronics it's advisable to take a little extra care. I wouldn't leave mine in the shower room again after I saw some condensation underneath the crystal last time. I didn't even wear it in the shower.

There's another thread regarding barbie and the 3502-2 which mentions the lack of water resistance, it would be interesting to hear his explanation? Earlier models I have are certainly more water resistant.

Having said that I'm not complaining or whining, it's a great unique model. Would be interesting to hear what barbie says though. If you wear it everyday it's gonna get scratched! Stress! lol

redled

Techie

Techie

Post06 Mar 2007, 22:55

paulmondays wrote:I bought one too, no problems. One thing worth noting though it is in no way waterproof.

Paul

Is it less so than the original specs? I thought Mike put new washers in them.

collector

Techie

Techie

Post07 Mar 2007, 00:29

I have worn this watch frequently since I obtained it a couple of years ago and would definetly recommend it as an "everyday" wearer.

Needless to say if one is going to fix the inside of a car engine, etc common sense says it should be removed - just like you would do with almost any watch.

As far as waterproof, any 30+ year old LED watch should probably not be used underwater. In fact, Mike (Barbie9) says this quite clearly in his eBay item description.
Due to their age, (about 30 years old), I do not recommend to wear this watch in the shower, for swimming, etc............

As I had said before, my opinion about the Sport 3502 Mike is selling is that it is a great watch!!!

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post07 Mar 2007, 00:55

paulmondays wrote:I bought one too, no problems. One thing worth noting though it is in no way waterproof. Paul

Other than the Synchronar, few LED watches were advertised as waterproof, more like water-resistant. I'm wonder if what you are thinking Paul is how the buttons get stuck "ON" when you get them wet(washing hands, etc.). We had a thread about this before.....[my suggestion which a few people took]basically, you rub a little clear silicone caulk on the buttons(while bone dry) and then wipe off the excess, and then water won't lodge between the case and button causing a short. There IS an insulator around the button, but it only comes up so far - the silicone is just adding another .5mm or so of insulator. 8)
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post10 Mar 2007, 00:30

funny to find another recent post on the Sport. I can by all means recommend the Sport watch. It's very well made and looks (almost) perfect. but if you have heard about the Majestyk watch and are considering one of these watches I would like to draw your attention to the size. It's not a huge watch as for today's standards.
below compared to the P2 which is NOT a big watch:
http://crazywatches.w.interia.pl/photo/ ... sport.html
Last edited by azimuth_pl on 11 Mar 2007, 00:57, edited 1 time in total.

fronzelneekburm

Guru

Guru

Post10 Mar 2007, 00:33

Sometimes i feel there are more mint Pulsar 3502 then Casio F-91W on ebay. They must have been produced a billion times.

T-bird

Post10 Mar 2007, 09:22

Hey, no one was curious enough to take out the module from one of these watches...
I did this on mine, and discovered that the glass was attached to the case with Super Glue, or something like that. It had the white fogging on its inner surface, an obvious effect of the glue. Well this glue is too liquid to form a gasket-like bond between the glass and the metal case. I think that most of Sport's water related troubles come from this. Plus, the white fogging obscured the glass a little. If you remove the module, take out the glass (it's not very hard, mine popped out just by finger pressure) and re-glue it using epoxy or something equivalent, I'm sure the watch will get back to its waterproof standard. Also the cure that Ed suggests for the touch buttons is a great help. These watches were made to be worn. Keeping them in a drawer is no help in showing the world they existed...

Al.
4 Doors = 2 Cars
Next

Return to Pulsar and Hamilton