• Author

seikoric

Geek

Geek

Pulsar P3 Bracelet

Post28 Mar 2007, 01:04

Hi,

Ive just noticed this oddity when photographing my Pulsars today

I had a look at my steel P3 bracelet and the link where it joins the case is significantly smaller than its other links, all P3's ive googled seem to have equal links just like my gold P3

heres the auction pic of my steel P3 to show what i mean

My gold P3 also keeps a rigid shape whereas the steel one just flops when placed on a surface as shown in my first pic

So the question is - is this normal for a P3 bracelet?

Cheers! Ric

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

re: Pulsar P3 Bracelet

Post28 Mar 2007, 02:29

This is a standard feature of the solid-link bracelets [all four of mine are identical to this]. As to WHY it was done in this fashion [instead of matching the width of the other links], I haven't a guess.

seikoric

Geek

Geek

Post28 Mar 2007, 02:33

Ahh, thanks for the info, so obviously the ones i've see on the net have had hollow links

Cheers, mystery solved!

Ric

Just another question - are these solid link P3's generally harder to come by or are they just as common as the hollow link versions?

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post28 Mar 2007, 02:39

Ric:

This situation is completely normal, because your steel one has solid links! Your gold one, or any steel one with capped links is constructed differently, because each link has a "tongue" that juts out from the cap, under the cap of the preceeding link. That "tongue" pressing against the preceeding link is why so many capped bands have lost the cap on the second and third link from the case. Your steel one has shorted links in general and flops(nicely,IMO) since it is pivoting cleanly on the link pins with no interferring "tongue". Need I point out - never bend your capped band any farther than necessary...don't try to bend it into a smaller circle; otherwise, it's caps off. :x See the picture

bruce posted while I was photographing...I'd guess it was done(short link at wrist bend) for comfort, since they could with the solid design. :?
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post28 Mar 2007, 03:01

On P3s, hollow-link bracelets outnumber solid-link ones 3 or 4-to-1. On the P4s [Executives], it's probably 2-to-1 in favor of the solid-link variety. Again, I can't account for that, but statistically, that's how it works out. Personally. I prefer the solid-link type, as they are much more supple and flexible [and comfortable!], and, being a solid chunk of steel, are virtually indestructible. The Date/Command I bought new in early 1974 had a solid-link band, and it stood up well to the battering the watch took over the next six years [the case and crystal were not so fortunate].

seikoric

Geek

Geek

Post28 Mar 2007, 17:43

Hey this is great info both! where else could i have found all this without this forum! :)

Cheers, Ric

Return to Pulsar and Hamilton